Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Free Agent Targets

I would like to see them sign Nathan And another RP who previously closed, even if it's the Smith Brothers grandson Brian Wilson.
Re-sign Benoit and you have 3 for the 8th + 9th innings who have and can close,
throw in a healthy Rondon, Al Al and two worthy lefty relievers.

Holes that need to be filled LF, 2nd base, 7th and 8th inning pitchers also closer.

LF will probably be Nick Castellanos

2ND BASE ?

7TH INNING ?

8TH INNING ?

9TH INNING Nathan - like a fine wine keeps getting better with age

If LF is Nick Castellanos, we'll be bitching about him like Dirks soon enough.

If we can pick up a solid power hitting LF via trade then we need to, Nick is not a power threat, and that's what were lacking in the outfield, a consistent power threat.

I get it. I am just not keen on signing or trading for anyone past the age of 36. Occasionally, you get someone like Darrell Evans, who plays till 42 and looked like he drank from the fountain of youth. Or you pay a Gary Sheffield top dollar for diminished skills, albeit skill better than the rest of the team.

Skillsets can up and leave some players without any true signs of regression. Or, may look OK one year and then rapidly deteriorate going through the next season.

The other concern is that as players age, they tend to have more injuries or injuries that linger more than young players.

Hence my caveat about getting him real cheap. I also wouldn't do more than 2 year deal.
What would be your cheap target? Personally, I dont want to pay him more than $10/11 a year (he just turned down a 9.5 mil option, so 10 would be the absolute lowest i think he'd sign for).

Im afraid that we'll give him like $13 million/year though. I dont want to pay him (or ANY reliever) that much.

I dont really care about getting a proven closer, but DD is apparently set on getting one. I wish he'd just fill the bullpen with cheap, good options like the Rays always seem to be able to do year after year.

Last edited:
What would be your cheap target? Personally, I dont want to pay him more than $10/11 a year (he just turned down a 9.5 mil option, so 10 would be the absolute lowest i think he'd sign for).

Im afraid that we'll give him like $13 million/year though. I dont want to pay him (or ANY reliever) that much.

I dont really care about getting a proven closer, but DD is apparently set on getting one. I wish he'd just fill the bullpen with cheap, good options like the Rays always seem to be able to do year after year.

Eric O'Flaherty

Edward Mujica

Not sure I can understand the reported rumors of a Doug Fister for Howie Kendrick trade at all. Kendrick is due 18.85m over the next 2 seasons and considering we could probably resign Infante for less money at least yearly (3 years 25m total) and hold on to Fister.

If we're trading Fister, then Trumbo better be the guy we get in return. Kendrick would be fine for Porcello.

Not sure I can understand the reported rumors of a Doug Fister for Howie Kendrick trade at all. Kendrick is due 18.85m over the next 2 seasons and considering we could probably resign Infante for less money at least yearly (3 years 25m total) and hold on to Fister.

Kendrick is a far superior offensive and defensive player than Infante.

That said. I wouldn't be trading a pitcher under team control for him and just him.

Infante: career .279 AVG, .319 OBP
Kendrick: Career .292, .329 OBP.

Pretty much the same player offensively, and Infante would probably cost less. Sure, Kendrick is the better defender.

Kendrick is a far superior offensive and defensive player than Infante.

That said. I wouldn't be trading a pitcher under team control for him and just him.

Kendrick is not the FAR superior offensive player by no means. Just glancing at 3 years splits can show you that. Defensively yes Kendrick is the better defender but that's about it in regards to comparing the two players.

This trade though as I stated would be a complete loss for the Tigers so I hope it was just a rumor.

Kind of surprised here as well.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Jhonny Peralta's reps said to be looking for big-time money, far more than 3y/45m.

I couldn't even envision the Tigers bringing him back at 3y/30m IF we had the hole at SS. Can't imagine a team shelling out over 45m for Peralta especially with the PED suspension last season.

Kendrick is not the FAR superior offensive player by no means. Just glancing at 3 years splits can show you that. Defensively yes Kendrick is the better defender but that's about it in regards to comparing the two players.

This trade though as I stated would be a complete loss for the Tigers so I hope it was just a rumor.

Exactly. Similar batting average, walks, HR and SB. Kendrick hits in the top half too, which makes his counting stats better. If he batted in the lower part like Infante, Omar's counting stats would probably be superior in almost every category. Like I said, if there is a player to be had by trading a starter to LA, it would need to be trumbo.

Exactly. Similar batting average, walks, HR and SB. Kendrick hits in the top half too, which makes his counting stats better. If he batted in the lower part like Infante, Omar's counting stats would probably be superior in almost every category. Like I said, if there is a player to be had by trading a starter to LA, it would need to be trumbo.

I don't think Trumbo would fit a need though on the team since his horrible outfield defense has him relegated to 1B/DH duties.

I want zero part of Trumbo. frankly, i dont like the angels as a trade partner period.

Infante: career .279 AVG, .319 OBP
Kendrick: Career .292, .329 OBP.

Pretty much the same player offensively, and Infante would probably cost less. Sure, Kendrick is the better defender.

Last 3 Years Away

Kendrick (30) 83.33 RC/640 .296 BAVG .347 OBP .431 SLG .778 OPS 18.39 PA/BB 40.62 PA/HR

Infante (32) 78.79 RC/650 .293 BAVG .319 OBP .413 SLG .731 OPS 29.83 PA/BB 57.80 PA/HR

Kendrick has played in a pitcher's park all his career and in a pitcher's park division (OAK, SEA, LAA).

Neither player excites me due to their not being able to take a walk, but at least Kendrick can get on base at an above average clip.

Trumbo...LOL

30+ HR a year in a "pitchers park" is laughable? You're the one always talking about how we need more power. This guy would give it to us. Unless you're expecting Miguel Cabrera 2.0.. which is possible, because you don't like anyone that's suggested on this board. It's always either "No thanks" or "LOL".

30+ HR a year in a "pitchers park" is laughable? You're the one always talking about how we need more power. This guy would give it to us. Unless you're expecting Miguel Cabrera 2.0.. which is possible, because you don't like anyone that's suggested on this board. It's always either "No thanks" or "LOL".

He doesn't hit for average. He does not walk. He is one of the worst defensive OFer. He isn't all that good on the base paths.

OK, so he hits for power.

And, I suggest we get on base type/can take a walk guys first and foremost. HRs would be nice, if you aren't addressing on base.

And, your suggestions for players quite frankly do not fit on base type/can take a walk players. They are either overrated, overpaid or just plain suck.

He doesn't hit for average. He does not walk. He is one of the worst defensive OFer. He isn't all that good on the base paths.

OK, so he hits for power.

And, I suggest we get on base type/can take a walk guys first and foremost. HRs would be nice, if you aren't addressing on base.

And, your suggestions for players quite frankly do not fit on base type/can take a walk players. They are either overrated, overpaid or just plain suck.

You seem to be infatuated with taking walks. The Tigers were second in baseball in OBP last year, second in runs, second in OPS, second in slugging, second in runs and first in batting average. They were 8th in triples, 5th in doubles and 6th in HRs. While I agree that Trumbo is not a good fit for the Tigers because they already have 3 guys that are suited for DH/1B but a player that can hit for some power would be a help.

You seem to be infatuated with taking walks. The Tigers were second in baseball in OBP last year, second in runs, second in OPS, second in slugging, second in runs and first in batting average. They were 8th in triples, 5th in doubles and 6th in HRs. While I agree that Trumbo is not a good fit for the Tigers because they already have 3 guys that are suited for DH/1B but a player that can hit for some power would be a help.

Average helps the OBP. And don't forget Miggy huge OBP which skews the number as a whole.

DET was 6th in OBP Away and 15th in Walk Rate Away. Take out Cabrera, and they are 16th in Away OBP and 26th in Walk Rate Away.

And yes, they are just as bad in HR Rate, with and without Cabrera. But, given the two, good walk rate is what you need when facing playoff pitching. You might not see it in actual walks, but it runs the opposing pitch counts up. HR Rate does not increase pitch counts.

Back