Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 12: Packers @ Lions *Thursday Night* Thread

1st Quarter:
Passing: 7/8, 61 Yards, 2 TDs, 0 Turnovers, 0 Sacks
Rushing: 60 yards on 6 carries

2nd-4th Quarter:
Passing 16/27 159 Yards, 0 TDs, 1 Fumble, 3 Sacks
Rushing 41 Yards on 15 Carries

Woke up this morning to the radio announcer informing me the Lions lost on a Hail Mary, yet I still went ahead and watched it because there are only 16 games in the year and I only get to watch maybe 5 of those and I wanted to see how the O and D looked. When they went up 17-0, I was like "How the fuck did they lose this game???"

Alas, they found a way.

Am I allowed to take my weekly shots at Ebron? Other than catching a TD on some horrible defensive coverage from the goal line, was he in the game?

It was a bad call, but I can see how the official made it because Rodgers sold it. But what pisses me off is the league and their slappies at ESPN refuse to call it a bad call and lie about the play. They're excusing it by calling Rodgers a QB so it was close, Rodgers was not a QB after taking the lateral, incidental contact is allowed, the tacklers whole hand could have hit the face mask and it still wouldn't have been a penalty as long as he didn't grab it.

Once again, the Lions get screwed on a call and the league does nothing but cover their ass. They never even apologized for the Seattle game. How many times does this happen to the Lions?

Last edited:
Am I allowed to take my weekly shots at Ebron? Other than catching a TD on some horrible defensive coverage from the goal line, was he in the game?

My favorite was his route running while he was an inline blocker on a running play. Oh, and his guy made the tackle 3 yards in the backfield!

Just stay away from his helmet. It's the last play of the game. There's no reason his hand should be anywhere near the guy's face. There were two Lions right near him, he had nowhere to go. Remove all doubt from the officials making a call.

Lol yeah, didn't one of the commentators say "Where did the TE go?" He completely wiffed on that block.

It was a bad call, but I can see how the official made it because Rodgers sold it. But what pisses me off is the league and their slappies at ESPN refuse to call it a bad call and lie about the play. They're excusing it by calling Rodgers a QB so it was close, Rodgers was not a QB after taking the lateral, incidental contact is allowed, the tacklers whole hand could have hit the face mask and it still wouldn't have been a penalty as long as he didn't grab it.

Once again, the Lions get screwed on a call and the league does nothing but cover their ass. They never even apologized for the Seattle game. How many times does this happen to the Lions?

Eh....... They still had to complete a 60 yard Hail Mary to win the game even after that call, which they did, easily!

They also could've called pass interference on Quaddus on the first down throw which would've given Green Bay the ball and about the 25 yard line and they could've kicked a field goal to win the game. Either way, you've got to make that play. No excuse for Green Bay having the three closest guys to the ball on a 60 yard Hail Mary!

No excuse for not having the 6'5" Calvin Johnson and the 6'4" Cory fuller standing on the goal line, either!

Lol yeah, didn't one of the commentators say "Where did the TE go?" He completely wiffed on that block.

He didn't whiff on the block, he ran a fuckin route!

In order to whiff on a block... you actually have to attempt to block someone.....he didn't. Fuckin Ebron!!

Lol I thought so, he said something funny about the TE missing a block, and I said to myself, "Must have been Ebron in there."

This loss is 100% on the Lions, the only thing the offense did after the first quarter was two lengthy FG drives. You can't go up big and then just stall like that, this isn't the first time we've seen this either this season. I know it's on the defense to hold a lead and all that junk, but running 3 plays and putting the D back on the field for multiple quarters wasn't going to end well.

I still can't believe the fumble, only the Lions could force a fumble in the red zone only to have it bounce forward for a GB TD. Like I said, 100% on the Lions, but a little luck helps too.

The Hail Mary was obviously the big play, but several crucial errors along the way led to that situation/opportunity. That game should've been sealed much earlier.

The Lions make enough of their own mistakes out there. They don't need the refs mistakes helping them to lose games too.

I get that there were a million things the Lions could do to win this game, but in reality, one play.. one bad call... it can change the outcome. They always say "football is a game of inches"... and by the same token we have to accept that not every game will be a blowout, and in a close game like this, the refs can take the game out of the players hands.

I personally think with HD broadcasts, streaming technology, and instant replay, the NFL can and should do better to use all the technology available to make sure things like this don't happen.

We can argue all day why the Lions should just play better, but in the end we have Pettigrew getting mugged in the playoff game, the batted ball, the Phantom Facemask... at some point we also have the right to complain and say the refs are taking games away, especially when they keep happening at the most crucial time of the game.

Also you can't allow Rodgers as a right-hander, to escape to his right on that final play. That is what allowed him the time and space to get a running start and throw it that far in as comfortable a fashion as possible.

Ink, Rodgers had nowhere to go. Nowhere. He couldn't pass the ball anymore, he was just scrambling around. There were TWO players within a yard of him. Just tackle the guy. Don't even give the refs an opportunity to make that call.

This is on the Lions, not on the refs making a bad call.

The Lions make enough of their own mistakes out there. They don't need the refs mistakes helping them to lose games too.

I get that there were a million things the Lions could do to win this game, but in reality, one play.. one bad call... it can change the outcome. They always say "football is a game of inches"... and by the same token we have to accept that not every game will be a blowout, and in a close game like this, the refs can take the game out of the players hands.

I personally think with HD broadcasts, streaming technology, and instant replay, the NFL can and should do better to use all the technology available to make sure things like this don't happen.

We can argue all day why the Lions should just play better, but in the end we have Pettigrew getting mugged in the playoff game, the batted ball, the Phantom Facemask... at some point we also have the right to complain and say the refs are taking games away, especially when they keep happening at the most crucial time of the game.

The problem is you're viewing things through the lens of a Lions fan. Yes the refs probably missed lots of calls that would have helped the Lions. What about all the calls that could have helped the Packers? I'm sure there are plenty their fans could point to as well. What about the coin toss debacle on Thanksgiving that cost the Steelers against the Lions? In the long run these types of ref gaffs even out, we just fail to recognize it because our natural instinct as fans is to only remember the calls that screwed us.

This is why as a whole you can't say the refs "cost" one team the game. They make crappy calls both ways that both teams just have to accept as part of the game, and deal with it as best they can. Complain all you want, but as you said the outcome was still all in the Lions hands and they failed.

If they can make a case against the NFL then they should take advantage of it, otherwise it's pointless complaining. I generally don't care for the "we got screwed" mentality because I've always felt it distracts from the real problems with this team. You can't control what the refs do or don't call, all you can do is execute better and play smarter.

With today's technology, there's no reason why refs shouldn't be under a microscope on nearly every call. I'm all for accountability, but if all we get is a worthless apology from the NFL, followed by more mistakes, what's the point?

Lions never get that call...

If they can make a case against the NFL then they should take advantage of it, otherwise it's pointless complaining. I generally don't care for the "we got screwed" mentality because I've always felt it distracts from the real problems with this team. You can't control what the refs do or don't call, all you can do is execute better and play smarter.

With today's technology, there's no reason why refs shouldn't be under a microscope on nearly every call. I'm all for accountability, but if all we get is a worthless apology from the NFL, followed by more mistakes, what's the point?

I actually think the refs are under the microscope way too much, under the circumstances.

An employer who doesn't equip his employees with the tools to be successful can't complain when they are not successful. The NFL has access to a wide array of technology they aren't using to it's fullest to make these refs better. That's on the league, not the refs.

You've seen, undoubtedly, the coaches and players studying plays on the Microsoft Surface on the sidelines. Those are equipped with instant, on-demand, replays from every camera angle. There's a guy in the booth that hits a button to begin the "play selection" before the snap, and he hits the button again to set the playhead at the end of the play.

If a QB throws a pick, by the time he gets to the sidelines, he can see every angle of that play and see where he went wrong on the Surface.

Why do the refs not have access to that to make sure they get the flags right? According to the league, it's because they don't want to remove the "human element" of the game.

Well, that's stupid. The league is under fire from every angle for these bad calls, and their response is to change crews as a form of "punishment". Don't punish the refs if you're refusing to give them what they would need to get it right.

While live I thought it was a facemask no question. It looked vicious. I 100% understand why they made the call. Whether the call should be reviewable is another story. Still not the worst call in the game

I don't understand how you can have no one on the goal line if you are the lions. It's 60+ yard throw. You leave a guy there standing waiting. you have an 8 to 5 advantage of players down field. You can't allow a completion.

Lol
Just read free press dumb shit Caldwell said they expected a lateral play ...

FIRE THIS CLOWN IMMEDIATELY! !!!!!

Back