Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 126 Tigers vs. cubs Tuesday August 20, 2024

He was

2. But in reality none of those 3 were coming here.
They would have 2-4more wins with just one of them. 5-7 with Two.
9 plus with all three. It sure would been a fun season. No one important would have been blocked like Harris thinks. I just think Spencer has a better season with protection behind him maybe. Greene always gets hurt and can’t play a full season.
Carpenter was hurt this year. Oh well I just want a proactive GM and not the 4-7 year plan Gm after 7 losing seasons in row. 8 if we don’t get over .500 the last month.
Tigers really could have contended for the division with just some tweaks.
Sadly Chris doesn’t get it .

Last edited:
They would have 2-4more wins with just one of them. 5-7 with Two.
9 plus with all three. It sure would been a fun season. No one important would have been blocked like Harris thinks. I just think Spencer has a better season with protection behind him maybe. Greene always gets hurt and can’t play a full season.
Carpenter was hurt this year. Oh well I just want a proactive GM and not the 4-7 year plan Gm after 7 losing seasons in row. 8 if we don’t get over .500 the last month.
Tigers really could have contended for the division with just some tweaks.
Sadly Chris doesn’t get it .
You'd assume they'd all be hitting the same. Doesn't work that way. Early 2 months we were blaming the hitting coaches and even still are. So based on that they wouldn't perform the same here..

And when has Detroit added a good FA in the past 10 years. Flaherty doesn't count because he was terrible before he came here. You say Chris I doesn't get it but you think he's signs those 3 guys. Its a moot point they weren't coming here.

As Báez returns to Chicago, he sees something familiar in Tigers.
Veteran's playing time to be reduced so Detroit can see what it has in young players.
Tigers official site

Boxscore.

Tigers 1 - Cubs 3: Cubs win series opener despite Torkelson’s 4-hit night.
BYBTB

Tigers drop opener against Cubs at Wrigley Field, Torkelson goes 4-for-4.
Detnews

Detroit Tigers lose 3-1 to Cubs, Javier Báez strikes out four times in Wrigley Field return.
Freep

WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Since the July trade deadline, in which the Tigers traded away 4 veterans, Detroit has a winning record so far in August – 9 wins, 7 losses. Five of those games went into extra innings with the Tigers winning 3 of them.
Of note is that they have only allowed to be shut out just 1 time.
They have accomplished this despite having only 2 true starting pitchers left in their rotation and 4 key players who were still on the IL (Carpenter, Greene, Meadows and Olson). Within the past 2 weeks, they’ve called up 9 rookies.

Through Sunday’s games, they are now only 3 games under .500 and have MLB’s 19th best record. Their performance so far is better than last year’s.
Kerry Carpenter, Riley Greene, Tyler Holton, Colt Keith, Parker Meadows, Reese Olson and Tarik Skubal have shined very brightly this year.
Andy Ibanez, Wenceel Perez and Matt Vierling are showing they are solid players.
Dillon Dingler, Jace Jung, Keider Montero and Trey Sweeney are starting to show some promise even though it is early.
Casey Mize and Spencer Torkelson are still question marks.

Do you feel the Tigers have finally turned a corner? That the core Scott Harris said the Tigers need is starting to fall into place?

Have the Detroit Tigers finally turned a corner in developing a core competitive roster?

1. Yes.

2. Not 100% sure but it's looking good.

3. No.

VOTE

No. They still don't score runs. Even when they Swept Seattle those last two couldn't score until late. The series win vs NYY didn't score much. Nor against SF. Cubs, didn't score much. Pitching had a good week+ but not the hitting.

WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Since the July trade deadline, in which the Tigers traded away 4 veterans, Detroit has a winning record so far in August – 9 wins, 7 losses. Five of those games went into extra innings with the Tigers winning 3 of them.
Of note is that they have only allowed to be shut out just 1 time.
They have accomplished this despite having only 2 true starting pitchers left in their rotation and 4 key players who were still on the IL (Carpenter, Greene, Meadows and Olson). Within the past 2 weeks, they’ve called up 9 rookies.

Through Sunday’s games, they are now only 3 games under .500 and have MLB’s 19th best record. Their performance so far is better than last year’s.
Kerry Carpenter, Riley Greene, Tyler Holton, Colt Keith, Parker Meadows, Reese Olson and Tarik Skubal have shined very brightly this year.
Andy Ibanez, Wenceel Perez and Matt Vierling are showing they are solid players.
Dillon Dingler, Jace Jung, Keider Montero and Trey Sweeney are starting to show some promise even though it is early.
Casey Mize and Spencer Torkelson are still question marks.

Do you feel the Tigers have finally turned a corner? That the core Scott Harris said the Tigers need is starting to fall into place?

Have the Detroit Tigers finally turned a corner in developing a core competitive roster?

1. Yes.

2. Not 100% sure but it's looking good.

3. No.

VOTE
I voted no. They only have 3 players that I feel are "locks" to be on a competitive roster. Greene, Carpenter, and Skubal.

It's funny she didn't mention Malloy. This is what she said about him in her blog a few days ago (right before he got sent down)

4. JUSTYN-HENRY MALLOY – A. J. Hinch says he has the best eye at the plate out of the whole roster. Having played half the games of other players, he’s on a pace to surpass Riley Greene’s HRs. And he’s got the 2nd best OPS on the team.

I voted no. They only have 3 players that I feel are "locks" to be on a competitive roster. Greene, Carpenter, and Skubal.

It's funny she didn't mention Malloy. This is what she said about him in her blog a few days ago (right before he got sent down)

4. JUSTYN-HENRY MALLOY – A. J. Hinch says he has the best eye at the plate out of the whole roster. Having played half the games of other players, he’s on a pace to surpass Riley Greene’s HRs. And he’s got the 2nd best OPS on the team.
And the bad thing about this is people say Skubal won't sign, Carp has that back injury that could effect him on and off for his career and Greene who gets injured every year.

And the bad thing about this is people say Skubal won't sign, Carp has that back injury that could effect him on and off for his career and Greene who gets injured every year.
I agree. This team is still a mess. This off season, I hope they try to sign Skubal to an new contract, and if they can't, trade him.

Concerned about Riley Greene? don't be, he's a little jumpy, not on time. but it's a matter of time. He is swinging freely unlike before he was hurt, and now it's just a matter of timing.

14 strikeouts is unexpectable and two after a leadoff triple come on. I've had it with this one run games send everyone down or bench, them, baez that strikeout, enough is enough. Scoring one run a game has to fall on the players or Marenger. -__________

14 strikeouts is unexpectable and two after a leadoff triple come on. I've had it with this one run games send everyone down or bench, them, baez that strikeout, enough is enough. Scoring one run a game has to fall on the players or Marenger. -__________
22nd in runs scored, recognize.

Detroit Tigers' Riley Greene feels 'comfortable' in legs in return from injury.
The Tigers want Malloy, a below-average defender, to continue his development in the corner outfield positions.
"I didn't want him to feel like he did anything wrong," Hinch said. "He put up some really good at-bats. ... He can't just be on the bench or designated hitter. We're going to get him a lot of time in the outfield."
Freep

Parker Meadows 2023:
145 PA, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 3 HRs, 11.7% BB%, 25.5% K%

Parker Meadows 2024 (thru 1st inning):145 PA, 5 doubles, 3 triples, 4 HRs, 9.7% BB%, 29.7% K%
Few more Ks, fewer walks, more power.

Back