Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hey ESPN insiders...

LKP, I'm not talking about the defense as a whole. I'm talking about the line. They were 2 sacks away from being dead last. Total pressure means nothing. It doesn't take into account if the QB scrambled away from said pressure and made a play.

LKP, I'm not talking about the defense as a whole. I'm talking about the line. They were 2 sacks away from being dead last. Total pressure means nothing. It doesn't take into account if the QB scrambled away from said pressure and made a play.

Total pressure means everything. Sacks alone is a poor measure

Sacks are significantly more impactful than pressures. Pressures can still lead to a big play for the offense.

Pressures can lead to picks. A sack can be a one yard loss on first down. The goal is to constantly pressure the qb. The lions do that well

Well, that pressure didn't lead to a ton of INTs either, in the middle of the NFL.

Hurries is lkps favorite stat....dont tell him they mean nothing...he might cry.

...but they mean nothing.

You do realize there are two other downs, right? You keep boasting that third down defense as though it is some all-encompassing statistic.

Hurries don't mean dick if you can't get the QB to the ground.

You do realize there are two other downs, right? You keep boasting that third down defense as though it is some all-encompassing statistic.

Hurries don't mean dick if you can't get the QB to the ground.

You realize when you get a stop on 3rd down the other team usually punts right. Lions did well getting stops last year. A few too many big plays due to injury but that's been taken care of this year.

Pressures can lead to picks. A sack can be a one yard loss on first down. The goal is to constantly pressure the qb. The lions do that well

pressures can also lead to a long TD. A sack is always a negative play for the offense.

pressures can also lead to a long TD. A sack is always a negative play for the offense.

But not always meaningful. Pressure can be more meaningful. Incomplete, turnovers or just so much pressure you throw the QB off his game.

Sacks can lead to a fumble too.
Sacks > pressure.

You need pressure before you can get sacks. The whole point of a defense is to disrupt what the offense is trying to do on a given play. The best way to do that is to get in the backfield and force the QB to act/think quickly and throw him out of rhythm.

Honestly I'm with LKP on this one. I'll take a defense that's consistently getting pressure (which will invariably lead to sacks and mistakes from the offense), over one that gets 5 or 6 sacks in a game, but otherwise is giving the QB all day to throw the rest of the time. It's a more reliable way to have long term success as a defense.

Honestly, you need BOTH sacks and pressures, and you need them from all areas (DL, LB, DB) in order to really throw offenses out of sync and produce TOs, whether fumbles or INTs.

Problem in recent years has been the D was too vanilla, even their blitzes were unsurprising at best. Hopefully new D will be better mix of unpredictability.

You need pressure before you can get sacks. The whole point of a defense is to disrupt what the offense is trying to do on a given play. The best way to do that is to get in the backfield and force the QB to act/think quickly and throw him out of rhythm.

Honestly I'm with LKP on this one. I'll take a defense that's consistently getting pressure (which will invariably lead to sacks and mistakes from the offense), over one that gets 5 or 6 sacks in a game, but otherwise is giving the QB all day to throw the rest of the time. It's a more reliable way to have long term success as a defense.

You do realize that opposing QB when we get them "out of rhythm" or "disruptive" are fuckin' good. Our pressures don't mean shit..

Lions have lots of qb hits too. They meant best third down defense in nfl

only team in nfl history to hold teams to 30% or under on 3rd downs and not make the playoffs. nice job Stafford.

If we have injuries every year how can it be bad luck? Maybe it's bad conditioning..

If we have injuries every year how can it be bad luck? Maybe it's bad conditioning..

Didn't in 2011 until Week 11. And we made playoffs.

You don't have concentrated injuries every year.

Back