Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hey ESPN insiders...

Didn't in 2011 until Week 11. And we made playoffs.

You don't have concentrated injuries every year.

It's just an excuse. Or the reason we need better depth. Or the fact we shouldn't be drafted a TE at 10.

It's just an excuse. Or the reason we need better depth. Or the fact we shouldn't be drafted a TE at 10.

Weapons injuries were very concentrated the last 2 years. TE/WR hybrid was needed.

Depth is better this year and its preseason !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lions 13-3 and lining for a FG in the NFC title game from 47 yards out trailing
19-17 with 4 seconds left...

After being decked by Seattle's Cliff Avril on the play before Stafford on third and forever completed
a 23 yard pass to Calvin and the offense rushed up to spike the ball.
No time outs...

Crap who is our kicker?????

Here we go..
snap is good.
hold is good.
ball is on the way..............
Lions fans holding their collective breath......

Last edited:
Weapons injuries were very concentrated the last 2 years. TE/WR hybrid was needed.

No it wasn't, not at 10 anyway. Take your WR in round 3 and ten help in the secondary. Since Ebron doesn't block for shit..he better go 1200-15 every year.

You need pressure before you can get sacks. The whole point of a defense is to disrupt what the offense is trying to do on a given play. The best way to do that is to get in the backfield and force the QB to act/think quickly and throw him out of rhythm.

Honestly I'm with LKP on this one. I'll take a defense that's consistently getting pressure (which will invariably lead to sacks and mistakes from the offense), over one that gets 5 or 6 sacks in a game, but otherwise is giving the QB all day to throw the rest of the time. It's a more reliable way to have long term success as a defense.

Pressures are important, but it's trying to be spun to say pressures are better than sacks. That is not the case.

Yes 15 pressures is better than 2 sacks, but I'll take 12 pressures with 2 sacks over 15 pressures with 0 sacks.

Also need to understand most QBs are not as bad as our QB vs pressure.

Yeah there are a lot of QBs who thrive in it. The elite quarterbacks know how to step up and deliver.

You do realize that opposing QB when we get them "out of rhythm" or "disruptive" are fuckin' good. Our pressures don't mean shit..

Yeah QBs can still make plays when they are forced to scramble. Especially the elite ones and the elusive ones. You'd still rather force them to do something out of rhythm because it disrupts timing and leads to mistakes.

Do you want Ray Allen shooting a 3 pointer all alone by himself? Or would you rather make him try and make it with a hand right in his face? Ray Allen's a great shooter so odds are he can make it regardless of pressure or not, but you still have a better chance of defending it if you get up in his face.

My comment wasn't Lions specific either. It was about a defensive philosophy in general. I want a defense that's causing havoc in the backfield.

Pressures are important, but it's trying to be spun to say pressures are better than sacks. That is not the case.

Yes 15 pressures is better than 2 sacks, but I'll take 12 pressures with 2 sacks over 15 pressures with 0 sacks.

I agree with this. QB pressures are plays that there was almost a sack but the QB got away or got rid of the ball. I'm sure that a team that leads the league in sacks will lead the league in pressures as well.

This right here. We've been getting our ass kicked when we get a pressure..

Ok, but I'm saying your sacks will come if you have a defense constantly getting in the backfield...So you need pressure first before any sacks can come. I don't often study defensive stats admittedly but it seems rather rare to have 15 pressures and 0 sacks.

According to you guys why bother rushing the QB? It just makes him better against us apparently :)

I'd say most picks in the NFL are due to hurries. Usually the QB completes the pass when not pressured.

Was DeAndre Levy's 6 picks (2nd in NFL by the way) all his exceptional ball skills?

Which scares me even more when people keep talking about this aggressive blitz package. The best teams don't have to blitz all the damn time, they are able to get pressure without bringing the house.

If the Lions don't get home with their blitzes, and leave elite WRs 1 on 1 vs guys like Slay, Mathis, and Florence, they will be cooked like thanksgiving dinner.

The highest completion % of QBs under pressure was Peyton Manning at 58.1%. Most are below 50%

I'd say most picks in the NFL are due to hurries. Usually the QB completes the pass when not pressured.

Was DeAndre Levy's 6 picks (2nd in NFL by the way) all his exceptional ball skills?

Yes. Levy was like a young kid last year, a young kid with some extra jump.

The highest completion % of QBs under pressure was Peyton Manning at 58.1%. Most are below 50%

But as pressures go, Detroit did not defend as well as most teams. Whether that was 50%, 40% or 35%.

Which scares me even more when people keep talking about this aggressive blitz package. The best teams don't have to blitz all the damn time, they are able to get pressure without bringing the house.

If the Lions don't get home with their blitzes, and leave elite WRs 1 on 1 vs guys like Slay, Mathis, and Florence, they will be cooked like thanksgiving dinner.

If they get close they can throw the QB off and cause a bad throw. You don't have to sack them every time. Most incompletes are due to almost hitting home but not quite.

Blitzing all the time is not a good strategy. Yeah you'll hit home now and again, but offenses have plays designed to counter blitzes (screens, quick slants, go routes, shovel passes etc.). Front 4 has to do their job consistently.

But as pressures go, Detroit did not defend as well as most teams. Whether that was 50%, 40% or 35%.

Detroit defended just fine most of the time. 12th in completion % and best 3rd down stop % (passing down).

They didn't defend well due to injury and on some plays there were no pressure or a quick throw, Detroit gave up a big play.

Detroit the majority of the time defended well. When they didn't they gave up big gainers. Delmas highest YPC is a big culprit.

Three 80 yard plays against injured Houston/Delmas, quick strike 60 yarder to Terrence Williams, 50 yarder to Bryant, 44 yarder to Marshall, 44 yarder to Jeffrey Week 4, 43 yard screen to Bell. 56 yarder to James Jones Thanksgiving, 48 yarder beating Delmas on Brown, 34 yarder to Brown with missed tackles.

Avoid 3 80 yard plays and the Lions pass defense jumps greatly. This could happen going foward with Slay and Mathis healthy. Or Lions can get pressure on 3 more plays.

Did they defend better with pressure or without pressure though? Even if they are not "as good" as other teams in the league, it still improves their defensive performance overall.

Back