Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Injuries.

Everyone's writing us off, but watch Dantonio work his magic.
I'm writing us off. Sorry, a bunch of second and third stringers are not going to get it done. You can call it an excuse but it's simply the truth. Who's our nickel corner if hicks has a concussion? Maybe a true freshman who hasn't had the red shirt removed yet? Who would be the next OL up? No freaking idea.

Short of a medical miracle we're done.

Jake Hartbarger was injured too. Tyler O'Cinner is our punter without him.

When do we find out who is playing next week at Michigan?
We'll find out at kickoff, right now this team is being held together with duct tape. Michigan is shaping up to be the toughest game on our schedule when you consider our personnel. Osu may be a better team but we should be in better shape by that game.

We'll find out at kickoff, right now this team is being held together with duct tape. Michigan is shaping up to be the toughest game on our schedule when you consider our personnel. Osu may be a better team but we should be in better shape by that game.

The gameplay should be simple against Michigan. Let cook air it out 50 times and see what happens. If we run up the middle on first down one more time I am going to punch myself.

On defense, stack the box and make their shit QB beat you.

Last edited:
Playing mistake free football would also help. That is something Michigan is really doing right now. That means not sucking on Special Teams or driving the length of the field and throwing a pick in the end zone like last night.

First of all, glad we pulled out the win. Second, I am not upset at all about turning the game off after another call to spot the defense a down at the start of the series.

The gameplan is going to have to be throwing 50 times if the team has any chance of winning. The defense simply isn't going to be good enough to win a low-scoring game, and the line can't open any holes with all the injuries.

Special teams need to get soooo much better also. Our coverage unit looks slow, and they aren't very disciplined in holding their lines in the formation. The kicking game continues to be terrible. Geiger sucks, and the protection up front is garbage with all the injuries. I'm not sure we can fix the kicking game, but the coverage unit can absolutely be improved.

OK, the team doesn't have an official injury report so I'll take a stab.

STARTERS:
LB Davis Knee Out
S Williamson Bicep Out
CB Copeland neck Out
T Finley Leg Out
RB London Foot Out
C J Allen Ankle Doubtful
T Kieler Knee Probable
T Conklin Knee Probable
TE Price Ankle Questionable
CB Hicks Shoulder Questionable
WR Kings Groin Probable
P Hartbarger Questionable
Kick Offs Cronin Questionable
DT Heath knee Probable
DE Thomas Shoulder Probable
RB LJ Scott Knee Probable

Harris, Calhoun, and Pendleton all playing banged up.

Backups:
LB D Martinez Out
DT Smith Out
RB Holmes ? Probable
DT Evans Questionable
DE Sweat Suspended
S Meyers Suspended

I'm sure I missed a couple guys, but you get the picture.

Last edited:
Hicks was tested for a concussion, not a shoulder injury. I think Hartbarger was pulled for the shank, not an injury

Last edited:
Add Jalen Watts-Jockson to the list, he was getting some nickleback snaps and playing STs.

Other than that though we didn't see too many guys get hobbled. Kieler is really limping, but most of the other guys are getting healthier. Really wish Finley hadn't gotten hurt so we could have shelved Kieler a little longer, he was barely able to get off the field a few times Saturday.

Only one new major injury is the best injury report we've had from a game all season.

Kings is still not returning punts due to his groin. Scott is still not getting many carries because of his knee. Madre London is close to coming back. Thomas, Calhoun, McDowell, Heath, and Harris appear to be close to 100% now. Price is still hobbled and very limited. Jack Allen is close to coming back, but I think he sits again. Hicks is still out. Pendleton is 100% now. Hartbarger appears healthy enough, I think he's back to full-time punting Saturday.

Just win and then we get a much needed bye week. We should be close to healthy (less the long term injured) after the bye week.

They should sit Allen for another week - offense will not be the problem this weekend. we need to figure out how to keep Indiana in the low 30s or lower.

getting to the bye week undefeated is great but isn't there going to be some hangover even if we get a lot of these guys back? Several of them missed most of the season so far - missed out on valuable game experience, let alone practice time. It will obviously be an incremental positive in terms of depth and the quality of play can't get much worse in the secondary than it's been but I don't think it can be as simple as plug-and-play. It's going to take game experience to get these guys close to where they would be without the injuries. The schedule helps - coming out of the bye week we have Nebraska and Maryland before OSU.

Last edited:
getting to the bye week undefeated is great but isn't there going to be some hangover even if we get a lot of these guys back? Several of them missed most of the season so far - missed out on valuable game experience, let alone practice time. It will obviously be an incremental positive in terms of depth and the quality of play can't get much worse in the secondary than it's been but I don't think it can be as simple as plug-and-play. It's going to take game experience to get these guys close to where they would be without the injuries. The schedule helps - coming out of the bye week we have Nebraska and Maryland before OSU.

Depends on the player, some you can just plug and play if they have experience. Jack Conklin is plug and play, he was simply perfect on Saturday and has not only not given up a sack this year, he has not given up a QB pressure this year. They eventually moved guys away from him, but it was fun watching him totally stone Wormley, Wormley actually just gave up several times and after the initial contact just stood there. Conklin is so much better than the guys he is blocking that I've seen him blocking guys one on one and angling them into another defender so he effectively makes a player chip on another defender. Just amazing, and he's among the best LTs I have ever seen at the college level.

London should be fine when he plays. Hicks might take a game or two to be fully back, when he does come back. Williamson will be fine as he's such an experienced player.

And we have several guys limping along that are playing but could really use the off week to get back to 100%. Allen, Kieler, Kings, Price, Harbarger, Scott, Heath, Evans, etc.

The large amount of injuries in the 2012 season led us to the depth that made the 2013 season possible. We had a lot more this year, next year the depth will be better than any season under Dantonio. A competent QB and we're in the playoff chase again.

for the guys that are playing the bye helps them work on individual skills and working together as a team as opposed to simply doing opponent preparation

Depth chart for this week is out:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...16/misc_non_event/Game9NebraskaDepthChart.pdf

The O line will be back together for the first time since Oregon. London should be back at RB. Scott should be able to take a heavier work load at RB.

Hicks still out with the concussion. Sweat still suspended, really want to see him back soon, he's a freak.

McGarrett Kings is listed as the starting PR, his groin must be getting better. Price is listed as OR with Lyles and Lang. Enoch Smith Jr. is getting back to full strength and look for him to start making more plays from the DT spot. There's a lot more depth on this team than a few weeks ago, especially O line.

Dantonio has been a beast in the month of November. He has a team that is getting healthier this year.

Also, Willis and Miller are still listed as starting safeties, but Nicholson had a nice game against IU, look for him to play more than Willis. Miller has been outstanding thus far, especially in run support, he takes excellent angles and has great closing speed, haven't seen him miss a tackle yet.

Last edited:
Hicks is someone we really need to come back, hopefully he gets cleared and can at least play in the Maryland game prior to OSU

our starting OL will play together for the first time since the 7th play of the oregon game. I think we've had a different starting lineup for the last 7 games

Back