Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Institutional failure

biggunsbob

Institutional failure

Best line about the Lions I have heard on that morning radio show here in Grand Rapids.. Nice line by Ray Bentley... Normally I really don't listen to that show because they are so anti-Michigan ( mostly Bentley) but at least they both were ripping the Lions hard this morning... But Ray used that about the Lions...Nothing new here...Only the Lions as a organization lose yesterday's game... I am sure I have missed something.. So bummed we have this team as our NFL franchise... 1970's playoff loss to Dallas 5-0 still hurts...
(well I was in a bodycast for that game...lol)

1. ownership
1-A. Poor coaching.
2. Bad kicker.
3. Penalties
4. Guys laughing after a loss.
5. losing a game they should have won by 10+.
6. drop passes.

Last edited:
Everybody is taking this loss extremely hard. Arizona is not that bad of a team. Shouldve won, but didnt, on the road. Everybody needs to calm down.

Everybody is taking this loss extremely hard. Arizona is not that bad of a team. Shouldve won, but didnt, on the road. Everybody needs to calm down.

I really disagree.. you can only have so many of theses losses before you have to look at the inept ownership we have.. It starts right there...Yesterday's loss is a microcosm of how ford's ownership has been since he took over the team in I think 1963...

I did the numbers a few years back but up till Ford took control of the team the Lions were around 20-30 games over .500 as a franchise plus coming off a decade of the 1950's of 3 NFL titles in four title games...Plus the 1935 title.

Look at the record right now.. I may be off a few games.
Before Ford.
187-164-18
with ford.
324-448-14

total
511-612-18..

Thanks
WCF.... You are a garbage owner in a great sports town...

Last edited:
I dont like Ford either, but that game was the Lions to win. Nobody to blame besides the players. What did Ford have to do with Bentley not playing the ball on that PI call or Willie Young getting that hands to the face call that negated the turnover and mightve iced the game.

Last edited:
I dont like Ford either, but that game was the Lions to win. Nobody to blame besides the players. What did Ford have to do with Bentley not playing the ball on that PI call or Willie Young getting that hands to the face call that negated the turnover and mightve iced the game.

The players are to blame. The problem with Ford is the people he has hired to run the franchise.

I disagree also, not enough people are taking it hard enough more like it, it's not just this game. It's the totality of it all, the never ending same ol' lions finding creative ways to lose since 1957. it's the same song and dance more less every year. The players and coaches change yet the results are always the same, it's a never ending cycle of rinse, wash, repeat. Ford is the one constant through it all. Some believe the franchise will never truly be able to turn it around for as long as the ford's own the team. They may be right, it's the only constant that still remains after all these years of ineptness.

Sure we can turn it back around quickly with a win in Washington, only problem is we have never won in Washington and it's the Lions. Someone likely more than 1 player or coach will find a way to do something dumb and f it up. That's how the Lions roll, it's just the way it is.

Last edited:
I've never understood why people complain about players smiling or laughing after a loss. What do you expect of them? Crying? Anger?

Just because they're laughing doesn't mean they don't care...and just because they drop kick the gatorade tank doesn't mean they're going to play better next week. I think people put way too much stock in player emotions.

Every player handles each situation differently, and until I see a definitive link between post-game emotion and future performance, I'm not buying it.

Everything else I agree with.

Akers should drop kick the Gatorade tank. It would be the first thing he cleanly connected with all year.

So tigermud, if the Lions stomp the Skins, will your mindset waiver? Washinngton is awful this year, they proved it yesterday, that defense cant stop a nosebleed. This dline(with Fairley) will be too much to handle imo.

They should have one that game. But again horrible penalties, missed oppertunities, and stafford throws a three yard pass on 4th and 4 to lose the game. This team is not disciplined enough to win anything.

So tigermud, if the Lions stomp the Skins, will your mindset waiver? Washinngton is awful this year, they proved it yesterday, that defense cant stop a nosebleed. This dline(with Fairley) will be too much to handle imo.

only if they were then to follow it up by not losing the next 3 in a row. LOL

I've never understood why people complain about players smiling or laughing after a loss. What do you expect of them? Crying? Anger?

Just because they're laughing doesn't mean they don't care...and just because they drop kick the gatorade tank doesn't mean they're going to play better next week. I think people put way too much stock in player emotions.

Every player handles each situation differently, and until I see a definitive link between post-game emotion and future performance, I'm not buying it.

Everything else I agree with.

Yeah especially when this is pretty common practice around the league. Every team does it and the individuals who don't are destroyed in the media for it. So people smiling after a loss for the post game hand shakes is a non issue.

Its just one loss where we once again dominated most of the game. I am not so worried going forward but yesterday I was pissed because we let that game slip away. This is a young team and this loss was different. The penalties were based on trying to make plays not stupid just overzealous. They were without two of their major players Bush during the game and Fairley before it started add a full game for both and its a different ball game. Not making excuses just not going to pretend its the end of the world that the Lions lost a game.

only if they were then to follow it up by not losing the next 3 in a row. LOL

Understandable. Im just not giving up on these guys yet, especially after losing a close game(that I expected to be a tough one). Through 2 games heres what Im seeing.
1. Stafford is being more careful with the ball this year and is putting the ball where it needs to be
2.the Lions are getting what they paid for in Ansah
3. The secondary is not meshing...yet.

Slay and Bentley are basically both rookies this year. Mathis has only been here for a short time. I still expect big things from this secondary and soon. Just need to iron out a few wrinkles. This team is not done, not by a longshot. Keep your heads up

I look at the Skins and it gives me some hope, not much but some. Then I realize we're 0-21 in their place and its hard for me to believe we can win. We need some good mojo..

Understandable. Im just not giving up on these guys yet, especially after losing a close game(that I expected to be a tough one). Through 2 games heres what Im seeing.
1. Stafford is being more careful with the ball this year and is putting the ball where it needs to be
2.the Lions are getting what they paid for in Ansah
3. The secondary is not meshing...yet.

Slay and Bentley are basically both rookies this year. Mathis has only been here for a short time. I still expect big things from this secondary and soon. Just need to iron out a few wrinkles. This team is not done, not by a longshot. Keep your heads up

I get ya but it wasn't just a close game. The offense just fell a part. Staff had a nice game, I don't fault him too much but like last last season, where are all the deep throws? I saw one early but that was about it..

Imo deep balls to CJ are 50/50 with Peterson on Johnson.

Last edited:
I get ya but it wasn't just a close game. The offense just fell a part. Staff had a nice game, I don't fault him too much but like last last season, where are all the deep throws? I saw one early but that was about it..

We have NO other deep threat and teams still bracket CJ with a S over the top 95% of the time.

You don't throw deep just to throw deep. That's dumber than just chuckin it up there.

Also, Calvin is not JUST a deep threat anymore. He set an NFL receiving yardage record by working underneath most of the time. Besides our most dangerous deep threat, he is also BY FAR our best route runner. In no way am I saying we should never try, but I'd rather have a QB who takes what the defense gives him. The problem is.....besides CJ.....we don't have anyone to win battles underneath and nobody who can get deep.

Wonder if Carolina would be willing to part with Steve Smith?

I don't know about you guys, but I feel like we should have won even with bush out. This organization needs a bold new approach. To hell with being conservative. I want to see stafford throw downfield with reckless abandon like 2011.

We keep saying we need a RB, we need a wr, nothing but megaton etc. it's just not accurate. Calvin has already shown if you just force it to him he will come down with it enough to give you a much better chance than the vanilla bullshit we showed in the 2nd half.

We don't need more weapons, we need a better utilization of our current ones. We need to get more aggressive when bush is out and force the issue to Calvin, and even when bush is in.

Last edited:
Back