Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

It's Happening!!

For the in game chants, could just go with 'BAAAUUUGGHH!!!' giving it that typical 'boo' sound alike effect common these days. Kinda lame, but so common it would not surprise me to hear it on game day.

I remember Dan Patrick talking about how near impossible it would be for an NFL team to do all the necessary interviews before Tuesday's decision/announcement...so it does appear to be a 99.9% done deal.

I remember Dan Patrick talking about how near impossible it would be for an NFL team to do all the necessary interviews before Tuesday's decision/announcement...so it does appear to be a 99.9% done deal.

With the Rooney rule in place it makes it very difficult and SF can still control where he would go in NFL.

That was a good read although nothing in it was shocking. I know family is always big for him and he makes sure all his assistants spend time with their families. I even heard a story where he babysat for one so he could have a date with his wife.

Wasn't about shocking. Just more about Jim :)

SF said something last week about how michigan handled it right with approaching the,

I heard DPS early this week insist he'd stay in the NFL.

"Just don't see it ..." Sort of line.

I just hope this investment is overkill and that he succeeds as mich as folks thinks he can
But if you think about it USD for three years and Stanford for 4 is not s big college resume

Yes he developed talent in nfl too but remember he is dealing with college kids and inky a few will be gl nfl,bound

And figure his assistants will have strong salaries

I think what we've got is a very long term investment and have paid a premium for it. It's a very different than the past two hires and, I think, most fans and alumni are okay with.

Even knowing we're setting a new standard for HC contracts. By the time Harbaugh renegotiates or leaves some guy in the SEC will be getting $11m/yr.

Even knowing we're setting a new standard for HC contracts. By the time Harbaugh renegotiates or leaves some guy in the SEC will be getting $11m/yr.
Yeah, Les Miles probably.

I guess he's not going to get his chance this time to jerk LSU around into giving another pay raise and contract extension.

It seems just a tad unseemly for a 50 year old man to be on the verge of wetting himself from excitement over the hiring of a college football coach. But as my very least favorite sports cliche goes, it is what it is.

@Johnubacon: I just got off the phone with more sources tonight. It's done. Jim Harbaugh is coming to Michigan - and his friends are flying in Monday.

I tried telling everyone with my coy Poll on Raising a Family...!

It seems just a tad unseemly for a 50 year old man to be on the verge of wetting himself from excitement over the hiring of a college football coach. But as my very least favorite sports cliche goes, it is what it is.

It's not just a sports cliche; it's an all events cliche, and it's everybody's least favorite cliche.

"It is what is" is...the cliche that is what it is.

Last edited:
There is a lot being "misreported" on this story, but it all essentially boils down the same.

First, the 49ers do not have to release Jim Harbaugh from his contract at all. His contract only binds him to coaching the 49ers in the NFL, which is to say, he can leave the NFL altogether and become the coach at Michigan and there is nothing the 49ers can do about it.

However, if he were to ever want to return to the NFL, the 49ers would still hold his contractual rights, and could block him from signing with another team. That is where it becomes beneficial to Harbaugh to work out a buy-out or release from his current deal.

Let's say he coaches Michigan for the next 6 years, and decides to take the head coaching job of the Lions, as an example. The 49ers could demand compensation from the Lions, and unless they are satisfied with the compensation, Harbaugh could not sign with another team.

So the 49ers could say "We want 5 first round picks" and unless the Lions agree to those terms, Harbaugh is still under one remaining year as the coach of the 49ers.

He could counter and say "Fine, I'm coming back to the 49ers for one remaining season" at which point they would either outright release him, pay him to do nothing, or make him a member of the coaching staff for a year, but either way, it really makes like difficult for them and him.

The stories being written that say he cannot take the job at Michigan unless he comes to terms on a release from San Francisco are not correct at all. It's really no different than the number of coaches, Pete Carroll comes to mind, who left their college program with years remaining on their contracts to join the NFL. There was nothing either side could do to block it. It's just much easier for everyone not to have that remaining year of contractual obligation hanging out there for either side to exploit.

My guess, having dealt with similar business contracts outside the sports world, is that the 49ers agree to terminate his contract free and clear so long as he agrees to remain out of the NFL for the next 2 years. It's a pretty standard non-compete clause upon release.

I've also heard people questioning why he didn't let the NFL coaching market fully develop before making this choice, and to me, that is a simple one to answer. As long as he wanted to remain in the NFL, he really didn't have a choice where he coached. San Francisco had every right to trade him anywhere they wanted.

Everyone prefers to have the choice where they go and work. Anyone, given the two options, would prefer to be released and return to college ball coaching than to remain in the NFL and wonder where you might be coaching next, or even if you would be a head coach.

Bear in mind, they could have traded him to Seattle if they so chose, where he may be the next QB coach... a far cry from a head coaching job. The contract doesn't guarantee a position or title, just a job description and compensation.

He made not only the best and smartest choice here, but really it was the only "choice" he had.

John U Bacon confirming by personal text what he tweeted last night.

It's a done deal and there is no NFL interest for the teams available.

I just hope this investment is overkill and that he succeeds as mich as folks thinks he can
But if you think about it USD for three years and Stanford for 4 is not s big college resume

Yes he developed talent in nfl too but remember he is dealing with college kids and inky a few will be gl nfl,bound

And figure his assistants will have strong salaries

While you are right ML with regard to his college resume, it is still strong in terms of where the programs he coached started and where they finished. It is also important that he has developed talent at both levels. It would seem to me that this is a critical need at Michigan. Hoke could recruit talent but clearly was not able to develop it or get it to play up to its potential. Also, Jimmy runs his team and is actively involved in the offense during the game. Hoke clearly was not. JH is very competitive and I don't think he will tolerate losing and Michigan needs that too.

GO BLUE!

Last edited:
This is corroborated with what I heard last week - Family views M job as stability for upcoming school age years for kids. Even success in NFL can be 5-7yrs before moving and M job seems like it has 'tenure.'

http://michigan.247sports.com/Bolt/Harbaughs-Family-Favors-Michigan-34145593

i don't see anything having to do with Jim Harbaugh having tenure. Sure Michigan would want to keep him if hes successful here after 4-5 years. But this was a hard decision for Jim for a reason....cause he wants to be a winner in the NFL. If hes does well here NFL teams will be lining up to pay him huge to go back to the NFL ...and he will be gone.

Maybe im wrong...maybe that's what hes had so much difficulty with and has come to the decision he wants to be here for the rest of his life. But I just get the feeling hes unsatisfied with the way the NFL went and he'll want to go back down the road.

Last edited:
Back