Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions 53 man roster prediction: Post mini-camp edition

I don't give a shit if you are an Akers fan. Facts are facts. He's a good kicker WHEN healthy and I backed that up despite your stupid perception based on "your gut". Can't wait unitl Kickalicious gets the boot.

It isn't fact, it is a stst. Learn tthe fucking difference you delusional stat fucktard. Between your "stats are facts" and constant excuse making for every Lions loss or even poor play, you are the worst and most moronic piece of shit I've ever seen on message boards.

LKP, isn't that the old Lions Kill Pack? How has that worked out for you over the past 20 years? Get a life you hyper-focused delusional asshole. I'm done with your bullshit. I will fucking call you out foir every fucking stat yiu post from here out. The ONLY stat that matters is super bowl victories, all others are as pointless as you are.

Stats are facts bud. Your "gut" wants Kickalicious for no good reason. It's not happening unless Akers remains hurt.

You amuse me with your lack of Lions knowledge zyxt9. Keep posting your garbage.

Stats are facts bud. Your "gut" wants Kickalicious for no good reason. It's not happening unless Akers remains hurt.

You amuse me with your lack of Lions knowledge zyxt9. Keep posting your garbage.

You are attempting to use stats from prior years as FACTS for future performance. You use hopes and what ifs like you can dream the Lions into winning like you can configure a video game where they win.

I do not want kickalicious, but I sure as hell don't want Akers. My gut tells me the Lions won't win the super bowl with either one. And don't point to Akers being in a previous super bowl, that is history and his future only holds the certainty in its brevity.

Like how your immense Lions knowledge amuses yourself by keep chanting the mantra Lions Kill Pack while they continue losing in Lambeau. You are DELUSIONAL.

Like how your immense Lions knowledge amuses yourself by keep chanting the mantra Lions Kill Pack while they continue losing in Lambeau. You are DELUSIONAL.

Now you are just making stuff up. Sad really. Maybe you can buy a football for dummies book.

So LKP doesn't stand for Lions Kill Pack? Or am I delusional about the Lions losing streak at Lambeau?

I'll say this... if Rugland can be prepared to start the season, I'd rather have his leg than Akers. It's obvious Rugland's leg is extremely powerful and can make kicks from much further out.

However, there is a lot more to learning the NFL game than just kicking it through the uprights, so I am not sure other aspects might not be too much of a liability to risk it. Only the coaches could know that.

But on any given day, if you ask me to choose between a guy who struggles at 45 yards and a guy who may be able to hit at 60 yards, I'm taking the bigger leg, all things being equal.

I'll say this... if Rugland can be prepared to start the season, I'd rather have his leg than Akers. It's obvious Rugland's leg is extremely powerful and can make kicks from much further out.

However, there is a lot more to learning the NFL game than just kicking it through the uprights, so I am not sure other aspects might not be too much of a liability to risk it. Only the coaches could know that.

But on any given day, if you ask me to choose between a guy who struggles at 45 yards and a guy who may be able to hit at 60 yards, I'm taking the bigger leg, all things being equal.

This. I don't care how Akers has faired in the past (especially since he's 38). I care how well both players are kicking right now. Notes from practice are saying Rugland hasn't missed, that he's got a big leg and is very accurate. If that's true, we keep him and play him. You can talk all day about the intricacies of NFL football (and be right in most cases), but if you can tell Rugland "Kick the ball right there" and him do it, that's enough. How often is the kicker actually expected to make a tackle (how many times did Hanson make such a great play)?

A kicker isn't going to turn around the locker room, nor will his team to victory. The experience of a kicker isn't going to rub off on his teammates and make them believe they can win a playoff game. The ONLY thing that matters is who can put the ball through the uprights more often from expected distances.

To throw out more stats, the conversion variance on kicks from year to year is nearly random. Kickers can have great years then follow it up with a stinker, or vice versa. Only the very best kickers are constantly near the top, and Akers has been average as often as good.

Aker made a 63 yard field goal last year at Lambeau. And a 55 yarder against Detroit in 2011.

Last edited:
This. I don't care how Akers has faired in the past (especially since he's 38). I care how well both players are kicking right now. Notes from practice are saying Rugland hasn't missed, that he's got a big leg and is very accurate. If that's true, we keep him and play him. You can talk all day about the intricacies of NFL football (and be right in most cases), but if you can tell Rugland "Kick the ball right there" and him do it, that's enough. How often is the kicker actually expected to make a tackle (how many times did Hanson make such a great play)?

A kicker isn't going to turn around the locker room, nor will his team to victory. The experience of a kicker isn't going to rub off on his teammates and make them believe they can win a playoff game. The ONLY thing that matters is who can put the ball through the uprights more often from expected distances.

To throw out more stats, the conversion variance on kicks from year to year is nearly random. Kickers can have great years then follow it up with a stinker, or vice versa. Only the very best kickers are constantly near the top, and Akers has been average as often as good.

The only reason Akers was bad was due to injury. And that is the only way Rugland will win the job, if Akers stays hurt. They'll go with experience. Akers 3 for 3 in the Super Bowl last year. That trumps an internet video.

Aker made a 63 yard field goal last year at Lambeau. And a 55 yarder against Detroit in 2011.

This is all true. But let's just say they both have equally strong legs...

One of them will be cut and a free agent at the end of camp. Would you rather lose one or two years of great leg or 10 years of great leg?

All things being equal (and they may not be equal) youth is better than age.

Again though, no one but the coaches knows at this point if things are even close to equal. I'm fine with whatever decision the coaches make in the end.

This is all true. But let's just say they both have equally strong legs...

One of them will be cut and a free agent at the end of camp. Would you rather lose one or two years of great leg or 10 years of great leg?

All things being equal (and they may not be equal) youth is better than age.

Again though, no one but the coaches knows at this point if things are even close to equal. I'm fine with whatever decision the coaches make in the end.

I don't trust Rugland's accuracy at all yet. I'll take Akers all day every day if he is healthy.

That's why the lions will try him out through preseason, no?

Doesn't matter whatbany of us think, coaches will roll with who they want. While I don't want Akers, if the coaches determine he is the best available, then that is what I as a fan will be forced to endure and hope it all works out.

I don't trust Rugland's accuracy at all yet. I'll take Akers all day every day if he is healthy.

Nor is there any reason you should trust his accuracy at this stage of the game. And to be honest, there is no reason to trust Aker's accuracy at this stage of the game either.

Let's be honest, it's easy to chalk up his accuracy problems last season on his injury, but he's still injured. We don't know that it was the problem last year, and we don't know it's healed yet... in fact, we're pretty sure it hasn't healed.

Certainly if Rugland can't get it between the uprights, then all things are not equal... unless Aker's can't get it through the uprights either, in which case we have a serious issue.

All things being equal (that would mean they are both accurate, and both have powerful legs, and both can cover on ST, etc...) I'd rather have 10 years of good leg than one or two. In that scenario, you cut the guy closer to retirement. Simple logic really.

However, I am doubtful things will be equal. From the sounds of it so far (very small sample size) Rugland may have a truly elite leg. If on a scale of 1-100, Rugland is a 90 and Akers is a 95, I still take Rugland for long term.

If Rugland is an 80 and Akers is a 90, maybe I re-think it.

We don't know if Ruglands leg is better than Akers first of all. Plus He's never kicked a field goal in the NFL under pressure. OTAs is one thing, game day different story. 'll take the vet all day

We don't know if Ruglands leg is better than Akers first of all. Plus He's never kicked a field goal in the NFL under pressure. OTAs is one thing, game day different story. 'll take the vet all day

Sure, but you have to admit you are taking the vet on "We don't know". My point is, let training camps happen, and the coaches will no.

Can't think of a single reason to be pulling for either guy, until we know. And if Rugland is better, we found a kicker for the next decade, so there's plenty of reason to hope he can win the battle of the legs.

This competition will be won in training camp and preseason. I mean seriously we are arguing about which kicker to keep. This has gone on long enough. I hope they cut both and bring Hanson back but since that doesnt look possible I hope which ever dude wins has a perfect season and kicks the winning field goal in the super bowl. I hope if its Rugland that his leg gets blessed by Odin himself and magically he can the length of the field with pin point accuracy. If its Akers I hope its the guy who was one of the best in the league and not the guy from last year.

QB Matthew Stafford*
QB Shaun Hill*
QB Thaddeus Lewis*
QB Kellen Moore

RB Reggie Bush*
RB Mikel Leshoure*
RB Joique Bell*
RB Montell Owens
RB Theo Riddick*
RB Steven Miller

FB Shaun Chapas

WR Calvin Johnson*
WR Nate Burleson*
WR Ryan Broyles*
WR Patrick Edwards*
WR Corey Fuller
WR Micheal Spurlock
WR Mike Thomas
WR Kris Durham
WR Devin Thomas*
WR Matt Willis
WR Terrence Austin
WR Cody Wilson

TE Brandon Pettigrew*
TE Tony Scheffler
TE Michael Williams*
TE Joseph Fauria*
TE Dominique Curry

OT Riley Reiff*
OT Corey Hilliard*
OT Jason Fox*
OT LaAdrian Waddle*
OT Austin Holtz

OG Rob Sims*
OG Larry Warford*
OG Rodney Austin
OG Bill Nagy*
OG Dylan Gandy*
OG Jake Scott*
OG Derek Hardman
OG Darren Keyton

C Dominic Raiola*
C Leroy Harris

DE Ziggy Ansah*
DE Jason Jones*
DE Willie Young*
DE Devin Taylor*
DE Ronnell Lewis*
DE Freddie Bishop
DE Braylon Broughton
DE Isreal Idonije*

DT Ndamukong Suh*
DT Nick Fairley*
DT C.J. Mosley*
DT Ogemdi Nwagbuo
DT Jimmy Saddler-McQueen
DT Spencer Nealy

LB Stephen Tulloch*
LB DeAndre Levy*
LB Ashlee Palmer*
LB Tahir Whitehead*
LB Travis Lewis*
LB Brandon Hepburn
LB Carmen Messina
LB Cory Greenwood*
LB Jon Morgan
LB Alex Elkins

CB Chris Houston*
CB Ron Bartell
CB Darius Slay*
CB Bill Bentley*
CB Jonte Green*
CB Chris Greenwood*
CB Ross Weaver
CB D.J. Johnson
CB DeQuan Menzie

S Glover Quin*
S Louis Delmas*
S Don Carey*
S Amari Spievey
S John Wendling*
S Ricardo Silva
S Tyrell Johnson*
S Martavius Neloms

K David Akers
K Havard Rugland*

P Sam Martin*
P Blake Clingan

LS Don Muhlbach*

I think Ronell Lewis or Taylor are man #53. If we sign a DT, one of them is gone.....probably Taylor to the PS. I think they keep an extra S for special teams reasons and because of Delmas being Bob Sanders 2.0

WR was tough. I think Fuller starts the year on the PS and Devin Thomas is kept for ST reasons.

My biggest "suprise" was Fauria over Scheffler. I don't know if it will actually happen, probably not, but Scheffler really had a tough time seperating from coverage last year.....even avg LB's. I guess they could keep both Fauria and Scheffler and let Williams start on the PS.

At RB, Montell Owens seems to be the logical choice because he can play so many roles. RB,FB and special teams guy.....but that would leave them with NOBODY to play the Bush role if Bush goes down....so I think they keep Riddick. He can return punts and kicks, catches the ball out of the backfield well, and has some speed/elusiveness.

Thats about it.....I'm sure camp injuries will play a major role in the final 53. But that's my $.02

Last edited:
Back