Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Maryland

What would you rather see today?

• Lose (Dantonio ?retires?)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Lose (Give Dantonio another shot)

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Win (Bowl eligible)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I?ve lost all hope

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Imagine paying to go to whatever shitshow bowl game awaits us. I hope this team gets pummeled

Guess another nice thing about the win, It made all 5 D1 Michigan schools bowl eligible for the first time ever.

D stepped up there. Gonna get another few weeks of practice for the ton of freshmen. Other than that, I wouldn't have been upset eith a loss so this senior class can move the fuck on.

That's the main reason I think you should want a bowl appearance. It gives the team more practice time.

Even a bad qb should pick apart this maryland defense.

Last 4 games hes had 408 yards receiving catching passes from a walking pile of shit. Throw in last year having 115 yards vs OSU and 113 vs ASU. Guess that kind of makes you look like an idiot again eh?

Just look at today. Every pass that was even close to the wrs they've caught. His 3 incompletions are 2 horrible picks and a 20 yard overthrow. Just give it up already

lololololol >75% completion rate (on 40 attempts) with 340 yards to a receiving corps that doesnt have a single guy who would even play on 3 teams in the B1G East. what kind of numbers does he need in order for you to say he "picked apart" the MD defense? and who was it who threw all those yards to White, genius? clearly the guy who says this garbage and blames Lewerke for the Illinois loss is the idiot.

Last edited:
Watch the games. You are the ONLY guy I've seen praise this dude. He's trash

Watch the games. You are the ONLY guy I've seen praise this dude. He's trash

I'm not praising him, im just not judging him unfairly. this team is trash and lewerke doesnt make the top 5 of things that are wrong with it.

you dug yourself into a hole blaming him for the illinois loss and instead of admitting you were wrong, you've posted every time he doesn't make a perfect throw or a tipped ball gets intercepted trying to justify your asinine argument.

Last edited:
I'm not praising him, im just not judging him unfairly. this team is trash and lewerke doesnt make the top 5 of things that are wrong with it.

you dug yourself into a hole blaming him for the illinois loss and instead of admitting you were wrong, you've posted every time he doesn't make a perfect throw or a tipped ball gets intercepted trying to justify your asinine argument.

Because I'm not wrong. He was a big part of why we lost that game. You lost all credibility here with your asinine beast comment about Heyward. You're just making it worse now with this Lewerke nonsense. Just stop already 😂😂😂

The team isn't very good and Lewerke isn't very good. It isn't some secret or crazy formula. Lewerke was the best we had at the QB position but that doesn't mean he was very good. His 2 picks on back to back throws yesterday while on their side of the 50 prove it. It will show that most don't think he is very good when he doesn't get invited to the combine, goes undrafted, and isn't on a practice squad next year.

Because I'm not wrong. He was a big part of why we lost that game. You lost all credibility here with your asinine beast comment about Heyward. You're just making it worse now with this Lewerke nonsense. Just stop already 😂😂😂

LOL youre wrong about both Heyward and lewerke. you destroyed what little credibility you had when you pinned the Illinois loss on him and said the defense played "pretty damn well." It could be the dumbest argument posted here since Johnny tried to defend Johnny Adams. You're not qualified to evaluate talent or opine on who is.

Last edited:
The team isn't very good and Lewerke isn't very good. It isn't some secret or crazy formula. Lewerke was the best we had at the QB position but that doesn't mean he was very good. His 2 picks on back to back throws yesterday while on their side of the 50 prove it. It will show that most don't think he is very good when he doesn't get invited to the combine, goes undrafted, and isn't on a practice squad next year.

nobody is saying he is a great QB - clearly his arm isnt the same since the injury. but he is a good one and has done pretty well with the garbage around him. his receivers are among the nations leaders in drops and Cody white, who was the third best guy on a mediocre squad is now the #1 option after 2 very average guys got hurt. they have no deep threat and they struggle to get open on short and intermediate routes. Not one of those kids would start or even see much time on the field at osu, uofm or psu. and they're not even the biggest problem.

This team is way worse than "not very good" - they lost at home to illinois and got destroyed by every decent team they played. the offensive line is absolute dog shit. they suck, plain and simple. when your qb is running for his life against RU, thats a problem. the running game sucks, the pass blocking stinks. Its always been a weakness, even with our best teams. Alabama was in Cook's face all night and they barely blitzed, they basically rushed 4 guys the whole game.

Our defensive secondary is as bad or worse than the oline and there isn't a position coach or coordinator that should have a job next year. And Dantonio should definitely be on the hot seat. Other than 2016, which turned out to be a total disaster, he has never translated on field success into recruiting success. He has built up enough credit to go out on his own terms but he is quickly burning through that credit. Unless he lands a grad transfer QB and gets a lot more out of his lineman and defensive secondary, i dont see how this team improves much next year. If he doesnt do better than .500 in B1G play next year, he has got to go.

Last edited:
nobody is saying he is a great QB - clearly his arm isnt the same since the injury. but he is a good one and has done pretty well with the garbage around him. and this team is way worse than "not very good" - they lost at home to illinois and got destroyed by every decent team they played.

his receivers are among the nations leaders in drops and Cody white, who was the third best guy on a mediocre squad is now the #1 option after 2 very average guys got hurt. they have no deep threat and they struggle to get open on short and intermediate routes. Not one of those kids would start or even see much time on the field at osu, uofm or psu. and they're not even the biggest problem. the offensive line is absolute dog shit. they suck, plain and simple. when your qb is running for his life against RU, thats a problem. the running game sucks, the pass blocking stinks. Its always been a weakness, even with our best teams. Alabama was in Cook's face all night and they barely blitzed, they basically rushed 4 guys the whole game.

our defensive secondary is as bad or worse than the oline and there isn't a position coach or coordinator that should have a job next year. And Dantonio should definitely be on the hot seat. Other than 2016, which turned out to be a total disaster, he has never translated on field success into recruiting success. He has built up enough credit to go out on his own terms but he is quickly burning through that credit. Unless he lands a grad transfer QB and gets a lot more out of his lineman and defensive secondary, i dont see how this team improves much next year. If he doesnt do better than .500 in B1G play next year, he has got to go.

The O Line is 100% coaching IMO. Against Maryland, we ran the same counter play several times and left the edge rusher on the opposite side unblocked, each time that edge rusher made the play from the backside for no gain or a loss. No one on the sideline saw that that guy was unblocked and maybe we should change the play if we see him lined up there next time. It's maddening to watch from home and be able to pick out massive coaching blunders.

The offensive staff has to go, if they don't this team has a ceiling of 5 wins next season.

And the training staff has to change too. No team has the same injuries at the same positions over and over again year after year. O Line is a mash unit every single year. WR too. Why? Our 5th strong LT was supposed to start Saturday, but he got hurt in practice... It's that bad.

Last edited:
The O Line is 100% coaching IMO. Against Maryland, we ran the same counter play several times and left the edge rusher on the opposite side unblocked, each time that edge rusher made the play from the backside for no gain or a loss. No one on the sideline saw that that guy was unblocked and maybe we should change the play if we see him lined up there next time. It's maddening to watch from home and be able to pick out massive coaching blunders.

The offensive staff has to go, if they don't this team has a ceiling of 5 wins next season.

And the training staff has to change too. No team has the same injuries at the same positions over and over again year after year. O Line is a mash unit every single year. WR too. Why? Our 5th strong LT was supposed to start Saturday, but he got hurt in practice... It's that bad.

the defensive staff isnt much better - after the oline, our secondary is easily the next biggest problem and has been for a few years now. and our defensive line looks to have been overrated - barely got any pressure in games that matter. and while our run defense is highly ranked and supposedly the silver lining for this god awful team, they got gashed by the 2 good running teams we faced - they did a good job containing Taylor but the badgers still got 240 yards rushing on the day.

Last edited:
MSU 3rd most pass attempts in conference. Given up the least amount of sacks. Run blocking/scheme had issues tho. For as many true freshmen we had starting I'm not gonna be too bullish on the unit.

My 3 biggest beefs this season were DB's, QB and ST's(especially kicker)

That's just on the player side of things. Definitely need major changes on the coaching front.

I don't think sacks tell the whole story on pressure. For example, our defense is something like 15th in the nation in sacks for the year at 3 per game - they even hit their average in a couple big games like at OSU (3) and uofm (4) but I don't think anyone would say they were great at getting pressure this year, particularly in big games. The MSU website tracks sacks and QB hurries. In our biggest games, it's clear they didn't get a lot of pressure: OSU 3 sacks 0 QBH, wisc 1 & 0, PSU 2 & 6, uofm 4 & 1. Unsurprisingly the only team we seemed to get real pressure on during the 5 game losing streak was Illinois 3 sacks and 12 hurries but our useless backfield managed to give up huge plays anyway.

https://msuspartans.com/sports/football/stats#game

I can't find data on QBHs for our offense but I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't give up a lot of QB hurries. I'm not trying to bag on the defensive line - although I think they're pretty solid but not good as everyone thinks - the point is, I don't think just because we allowed the fewest sacks that the pass blocking is very good. I think they're bad in both pass and run blocking and they're the second biggest problem for this team after the d-backs.

Last edited:
Back