Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Msu vs um

Sbee

Just saw we were 6pt favorites, hard to believe. We'll need minutes from denzel at the 4 where he never plays. Michigan has always been a weak rebounding team but our advantage is minimized. I think our backcourt is much better than theirs and we'll need a big night from them, close to 50 from appling and harris.

I'd take Michigan and the points but I'm hoping for an Elsworthian effort

I'm not gonna come out and say we have no chance but I would be surprised if we come out with a win tonight. Thanks again Dawson.

I have a feeling we'll get a good game from Costello. Something around 12pts 8 rebs. I see Valentine going 10 pts 8 rebs 6 asts.

71-62 MSU

Teams can get by for a short period of time when they are short-handed, especially if they have a home crowd behind them. Add to the fact that it's a rivalry game and I think they can pull it out even though Michigan is hot right now. We need Payne back SOON though.

also, gonna wear 79' throwback uni's tonight.

the apostrophe goes in the front, toward the part of the number you're abbreviating.

it should look like this: '79

unless you mean jerseys that are 79 feet long

Well played half. Love our energy. Michigan's 3pt shooting is keeping them in it.

Tough loss. Always sucks to lose to Michigan.
Imagine if they had McGary and we had both our guys back. That would be a beautiful game to watch.

This Ellis kid is going to be a star for you guys one day. He's really smooth.

People will say Michigan hit a ton of 3s and some circus shots, but their defense won it for them down the stretch. We played well for 35 minutes, but let them hang around, then Michigan's defense gave us little when they took control.

Gutsy effort.

People will say Michigan hit a ton of 3s and some circus shots, but their defense won it for them down the stretch. We played well for 35 minutes, but let them hang around, then Michigan's defense gave us little when they took control.

Gutsy effort.

honestly, your D wasn't letting us get outside of the 3pt line. I haven't seen a team play that hard all year. We couldn't even move the ball without getting trapped or having a turnover. It became a one on one game and our offense struggled. Not sure what changed in the last 10 minutes, but I'm glad it did.

This Ellis kid is going to be a star for you guys one day. He's really smooth.

I like him a lot. He's 6'5 and plays good defense. Glad Minnesota let him go.
That point guard you guys have will give the big ten coaches headaches for years to come.

And Johnny I agree, I thought Appling forced it a little down the stretch. Harris is one hell of a player. He made a really good decision to stay this year, he has a chance to end up a top 5 pick.

We missed Payne a lot tonight and we're really going to miss him against Iowa, it could get ugly Tuesday. Not looking forward to that game. It's so hard not having anyone to dump the ball to, all the shooters benefit from Payne drawing double teams down low. Seeing Gauna miss layups was tough, Costello was really solid today though.

Gutsy effort.

it was kind of a weird game. defensively MSU dominated most of it after we started 4 for 4.

while I never felt like we were out of it, I was kinda surprised how quickly the worm turned.

I actually think the turning point was when the dumb white kid on your team talked shit to GR after a foul and almost started a brawl. the technicals off-set, so it was a wash, but that seemed to bring our focus. watching at home, I got the sense that we stopped being nervous and started to think about winning it. bad move on his part.

Well this fucking sucks, I know its about winning in march but you hate to see this. I guess its better to lose the big ten for a good shot at the title. If both teams were fully healthy we win by double digits. We will lose tuesday but hopefully we get ap after Georgetown and go 15-3 or something like that.

Last edited:
First conference loss in fb or bb in 10 months

Tough loss for the Spartans but I think some things happened that will make them better in the long run.

1) It's clear that Ellis, Schilling, and Costello can contribute and should get more minutes. The Spartans are deeper as a result.

2) It's clear that Russell Byrd cannot play and he should see fewer or zero minutes. When he goes out onto the floor, it's like nails down a chalkboard.

3) Garry Harris just keeps getting better.

4) They played a very competitive game against a very good opponent without Payne, Dawson, and with Appling at 60% at best. If they can get healthy at some point, the sky is the limit.

Hats off to Bielein and his team. Gone are Burke, Hardaway, and McGary (for now) from last year's team and they are unbeaten in the Big Ten. Really amazing. Beilein might be coach of the year.

there are still more question marks than positives.

who is going to handle the scoring load with AP and Dawson out, Keith at 60%? Of course harris but defenses will adjust and make someone else beat them.

another problem is playing Appling and Harris a combined 77 out of 80 minutes. Izzo never plays stars that much, we have to play gary payton type defense all game so you can't do that for 40+, hence the reason why we were gassed at the end and gave up the lead. we typically give our starts two breaks each half, we aren't able to do that now, that catches up to you in March when your guys are completely gassed and have no legs. It's good that the tournament has longer TO's but we need fresher legs to shoot.

Back