Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New Commit

lostleader said:
Im glad you got it all figured out!

While your learning to shoot and Cheesehead is practicing throwing, I think ill shoot a basketball. I mean I already got the basic shooting skill so, if I can get the muscle memory down I can take on MJ.

Heck might even challenge Tiger Woods next!

Except being a sports star requires physical attributes that you can't learn. Anyone out there that is capable of shooting can, given enough time, become one of the best hunters out there. You cannot simply learn to be Tom Brady. You can learn to shoot - which, in turn, makes you a good hunter.

MB this will be a good place for you to start. You don't even have to train the dog to laugh at you!

duck-hunter.jpg

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
lostleader said:

While your learning to shoot and Cheesehead is practicing throwing, I think ill shoot a basketball. I mean I already got the basic shooting skill so, if I can get the muscle memory down I can take on MJ.

Except being a sports start requires physical attributes that you can't learn. Anyone out there that is capable of shooting can, given enough time, become one of the best hunters out there. You cannot simply learn to be Tom Brady. You can learn to shoot - which, in turn, makes you a good hunter.

This is an estimation but 345,000 bowhunters are going to hunt this year in Ohio, they are only expected to harvest 80,000 deer. Thats not very good odds.

Just saying

lostleader said:
MB this will be a good place for you to start. You don't even have to train the dog to laugh at you!

duck-hunter.jpg

oddly enough I actually still own a Nintendo with duck hunt and the working gun. Good thing to note - it does not work with modern TV's. It only works with the old style tube TV's.

lostleader said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Except being a sports start requires physical attributes that you can't learn. Anyone out there that is capable of shooting can, given enough time, become one of the best hunters out there. You cannot simply learn to be Tom Brady. You can learn to shoot - which, in turn, makes you a good hunter.

This is an estimation but 345,000 bowhunters are going to hunt this year in Ohio, they are only expected to harvest 80,000 deer. Thats not very good odds. because, as I've been saying, most hunters don't do any tracking. They go to the same spot or area every year and just wait.

Just saying

And of those 80,000 how many of those bow hunters tracked down the deer vs. just sitting in a tree and just got lucky?

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
lostleader said:

Where are you going to sit in a stand. Someone has to place that stand. You can't just put in on any tree and get a deer within range. There is a lot you need to know, this is knowledge. Applying that knowledge is skill, and so far I believe you have none!

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
lostleader said:
This is an estimation but 345,000 bowhunters are going to hunt this year in Ohio, they are only expected to harvest 80,000 deer. Thats not very good odds. because, as I've been saying, most hunters don't do any tracking. They go to the same spot or area every year and just wait.

Just saying

And of those 80,000 how many of those bow hunters tracked down the deer vs. just sitting in a tree and just got lucky?

Considering the amount of land that is private and non-accesable, I would wager that most of those deer are harvested of a stand. But it is effective that is why people choose that method.

lostleader said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

Where are you going to sit in a stand. Someone has to place that stand. You can't just put in on any tree and get a deer within range. There is a lot you need to know, this is knowledge. Applying that knowledge is skill, and so far I believe you have none!

Look for a natural trail, find a tree, wait.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
lostleader said:

Look for a natural trail, find a tree, wait.

You got it figured out, now apply your method and put your money where your mouth is.

Its not that easy! Take a gun and it gets easier, but not by much.

lostleader said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

Considering the amount of land that is private and non-accesable, I would wager that most of those deer are harvested of a stand. But it is effective that is why people choose that method.

There you go. My point exactly. Most of the deer harvested comes from people just sitting around and waiting. Find an open field, a natural trail or just place a big pile of food on the ground - and wait.

So you're able to magically become this great shooter. I mean sure, most people who hunt start shooting in their teens. But a couple weeks of practice you'll be twice the hunter!

Maize&Cheese304 said:
So you're able to magically become this great shooter. I mean sure, most people who hunt start shooting in their teens. But a couple weeks of practice you'll be twice the hunter!

No, you have to practice to be a good shooter. And you may not be the best shooter of all time when completed (there's no need to be the tom brady of shooters) but all you need to do is be able to hit the deer. Once you get there, you're a good hunter and a good shooter.

I bet I could become a decent shot in a couple of weeks - enough to be a decent hunter. Give me a few thousand rounds of ammo, a ton of time and there you go.

I'm with hungry. Sitting in a stand waiting doesn't seem fun. Or fishing. But running around the woods with a spear...

Maize&Cheese304 said:
I'm with hungry. Sitting in a stand waiting doesn't seem fun. Or fishing. But running around the woods with a spear...

Yeah, you could wear a deer skin like the Native Americans once did...

Thinking of which, if they were really interested in thinning the herd, they could drive the deer like they do buffalo herds and slaughter them wholesale. This whole having drunk hunters pay to clear out the herd just doesn't seem like the best method.

Id probably go out looking like rambo, or arnold in predator.

Except the whole 8pack abs thing...

Maize&Cheese304 said:

Some states out west have contemplated a spear season. I am not sure how far this went, but I did read the reports.

MB09 it takes more than a few weeks and a few thousand rounds. I would pay money to see you shoot a 1000 slugs over a two day period. With a gun it doesn't take a lot to be a good shot, well good enough for deer. But I repeat their is more to hunting than shooting.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Id probably go out looking like rambo, or arnold in predator.

Except the whole 8pack abs thing...

Well, we definitely have some good remedies for stretch marks.

lostleader said:
Maize&Cheese304 said:

Some states out west have contemplated a spear season. I am not sure how far this went, but I did read the reports.

MB09 it takes more than a few weeks and a few thousand rounds. I would pay money to see you shoot a 1000 slugs over a two day period. With a gun it doesn't take a lot to be a good shot, well good enough for deer. But I repeat their is more to hunting than shooting.

Buy me 1000 slugs and meet me at island lake shooting range and you've got yourself a deal.

Back