Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

Probably, as good as Stu at least, but I think that would make it easier for teams to lock in on him defensively.

Hardaway should strictly be playing the 3. In Beilein's offense the 3 is the focal point of the offense especially without Morris. I would like to see...

Burke - Stu - Carlton
Novak - Stu - Vogrich - Carlton
Hardaway - Novak - Vogrich or Smotz
Smotz - Morgon - Horford - Biefieldt
Morgan or Horford - Biefieldt

Play to our roster strengths.

Pretty much spot on, but fuck, we've talked about it before but Vogrich's minutes might be hard to come by.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]Hardaway should strictly be playing the 3. In Beilein's offense the 3 is the focal point of the offense especially without Morris. I would like to see...

Burke - Stu - Carlton

I know he'll be playing the 3. Sometimes the 3 can be the de facto point guard even though, he really isn't the point guard, sort of like Manny Harris was, even though he wasn't really the point guard

DR said:
Pretty much spot on, but fuck, we've talked about it before but Vogrich's minutes might be hard to come by.

Indeed. They are log jammed there for sure.

so let me get this right, back to McGary for a minute, McGary and Zack Novak come from the same high school? Yes, they are from the same hs. McGary is/was teammates with both Bielfeldt and GR3 in AAU ball? Are we seeing some sort of grand design here from JB? Novak has turned out to be a helluva ball player, even though many, and I emphasize MANY, people ripped JB for ever bringing him to Michigan. Was it the first step in JB's master plan to bring in a player like McGary?

Hungry said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]Hardaway should strictly be playing the 3. In Beilein's offense the 3 is the focal point of the offense especially without Morris. I would like to see...

Burke - Stu - Carlton

I know he'll be playing the 3. Sometimes the 3 can be the de facto point guard even though, he really isn't the point guard, sort of like Manny Harris was, even though he wasn't really the point guard

I'll give you props for that because before Morris was in control we relied on Manny to create. That's the only reason the 3 was asked to do so because nobody else could and Morris wasn't a great distributor at that point. Based on last season Hardaway can't create his own shots like Manny could. Then again... He was a frosh. Who knows, but a lot is riding on Burke this much is known.

Hungry said:
so let me get this right, back to McGary for a minute, McGary and Zack Novak come from the same high school? Yes, they are from the same hs. McGary is/was teammates with both Bielfeldt and GR3 in AAU ball? Are we seeing some sort of grand design here from JB? Novak has turned out to be a helluva ball player, even though many, and I emphasize MANY, people ripped JB for ever bringing him to Michigan. Was it the first step in JB's master plan to bring in a player like McGary?

I would say Novak was a coincidence and GRIII and Biefeldt was a dream scenario which led to pay dirt.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
Hungry said:

I'll give you props for that because before Morris was in control we relied on Manny to create. That's the only reason the 3 was asked to do so because nobody else could and Morris wasn't a great distributor at that point. Based on last season Hardaway can't create his own shots like Manny could. Then again... He was a frosh. Who knows, but a lot is riding on Burke this much is known.

At the beginning of last season, THJr couldn't create, but by the end, he was doing quite well creating his own shot and setting up others like Morgan or Novak off a pass.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
Hungry said:

I would say Novak was a coincidence and GRIII and Biefeldt was a dream scenario which led to pay dirt.

Is there ever really a coincidence these days?

People were saying the same thing about Beilfeldt as they did about Novak, but now you have to look at the fringe benefit of bringing in certain players to get inroads to other players.

Hungry said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]

People were saying the same thing about Beilfeldt as they did about Novak, but now you have to look at the fringe benefit of bringing in certain players to get inroads to other players.

Beifeldt had an Illinois offer and Novak had a Valpo offer.. Beifeldt wasn't a bad kid to bring in he has potential.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
Hungry said:

Beifeldt had an Illinois offer and Novak had a Valpo offer.. Beifeldt wasn't a bad kid to bring in he has potential.

I know all that. The perception was that both kids had no business playing at Michigan. I'm not saying that perception was right. Most people didn't say anything about Bielfeldt, because now JB has pretty much proven that he knows what he's looking for.

Still, his Illinois and Michigan offers came very late in the recruiting process.

Is a Valpo offer considered good?

Were you not around the ESPN boards when JB brought these guys in?

Hungry said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]

You're probably right...Beilein's first year on the job was spent by scouting 8th graders and plotting ways to snag them down the road....

I'll give a slight nod to your Bielfedt idea. I wonder who currently attends Colton Christian's high school...

DR said:
Hungry said:

You're probably right...Beilein's first year on the job was spent by scouting 8th graders and plotting ways to snag them down the road....

I'll give a slight nod to your Bielfedt idea. I wonder who currently attends Colton Christian's high school...

Makes you wonder...

Isn't McGary a year removed from high school, what with his attending a prep school, and all. That would've placed him in 9th grade when he landed Novak, wouldn't it? Or did you already account for that?

Isn't it possible, he scouted both Novak and a young McGary when he was at WVU?

Hungry said:
DR said:

Makes you wonder...

Isn't McGary a year removed from high school, what with his attending a prep school, and all. That would've placed him in 9th grade when he landed Novak, wouldn't it? Or did you already account for that?

Ha, I don't know about the age thing, I was guessing.

McGary was barely a top 100 guy a year ago, wasn't he? DAMN, Beilein has an eye for talent!

Belein just checked to see how old kids of former NBA players were and recruited them.

DR said:
Hungry said:
Makes you wonder...

Ha, I don't know about the age thing, I was guessing.

McGary was barely a top 100 guy a year ago, wasn't he? DAMN, Beilein has an eye for talent!

It wasn't because of his talent level, it was because he had poor grades and ADHD, so most schools didn't expect him to qualify.

Back