Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ohio* to run spread offense

exactly.

and the "spread" is different than a hurry up no huddle read option. "spread" seems to be applied to every college offensive scheme these days. Texas ran a spread with Colt McCoy ...Brian Kelly ran the spread with Tony Pike ...Rich Rod and Meyer were said to be in rather constant communication about the scheme, I recall reading when RR was hired.

And what was Ohio* running with T_Peezy? That wasn't Pro Style and it wasn't West Coast.

They switched it around. His sophomore year they tried to run the version of spread that they ran with Troy Smith. That failed utterly during the season so they switched back to I formation.

Back to the assistants. Meyer has a solid defensive staff supporting him at OSU in Fickell, Withers, Coombs, and Vrabel. Vrabel is the only one that is not a proven commodity.

Back to the assistants. Meyer has a solid defensive staff supporting him at OSU in Fickell, Withers, Coombs, and Vrabel. Vrabel is the only one that is not a proven commodity.

I agree he has a solid defensive staff there.

the only question in my mind is will they tolerate the kind of crap from Meyer that his staff had to put up with at Florida?

granted, I don't follow ohio football as closely as Michigan football, but it seems things in Columbus have been eerily quiet, since all the recruiting fervor & public spat w/Bielema & Dantonio died down.

So Meyer who has won 2 national titles and multiple BCS games is not going to be able to coach/win in the B1G with the spread. He won a title with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow as his QB so its not like he only did it with Tebow like some want to think. This team also will play good defense and run the ball like most OSU teams.

In '06 Tressel decided to run the spread, Troy Smith didn't have a problem winning games.

BTW what did Meyer and his terrible Gators team do the year after that great Michigan team beat them in the bowl game?

Last edited:
So Meyer who has won 2 national titles and multiple BCS games is not going to be able to coach/win in the B1G with the spread. He won a title with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow as his QB so its not like he only did it with Tebow like some want to think. This team also will play good defense and run the ball like most OSU teams.

In '06 Tressel decided to run the spread, Troy Smith didn't have a problem winning games.

BTW what did Meyer and his terrible Gators team do the year after that great Michigan team beat them in the bowl game?

I do know one thing, the Gators beat the hell out of ohio*.

I do know one thing, the Gators beat the hell out of ohio*.

Yes they did. I think the correct wording would be curb stomped them.

But I will take losing a NC game everytime over not getting to one

Last edited:
Yes they did. I think the correct wording would be curb stomped them.

But I will take losing a NC game everytime over not getting to one

...and I'll take not getting to one over having a program that vacates seasons and has coaches fired in scandal.

...and I'll take not getting to one over having a program that vacates seasons and has coaches fired in scandal.

Ya I'm sure as a fan who hasn't won a solo NC since the 60's would feel like that.

Well we never had to vacate a NC. But keep talking about Tressel and his mistake. I'm sure you have never lied to a boss or done something you wish you could go back and change.

Your team was on probation for rules violations too

Last edited:
Ya I'm sure as a fan who hasn't won a solo NC since the 60's would feel like that.

Well we never had to vacate a NC. But keep talking about Tressel and his mistake. I'm sure you have never lied to a boss or done something you wish you could go back and change.

Oh cry me a fucking river. "Tressel and his mistake" ...you're not serious are you?!

is that other guy silverbullet97 logging in as his "dumb white trash ohio fan" persona??? Where did he come from?

I dont think Tressel would even look at what he did as a mistake. It seemed to be standard operating procedure. Its just he had no control over things once people outside of Ohio got a hold of it. It was clear early on that Tressel was more in charge than the president and the ad were. Much like what happened at PSU. The football coach should not have that much power or pull over a campus because it will lead to players and people within the program to take advantage of it.

What was wrong with those games?

Nothing. I'm just saying that he wasn't showing his laser accuracy that he later developed and that a lot of MIchigan fans think is commonplace with the typical white Michigan QB.

NO. Anyone that actually feel like there's more to it than just winning by any means feels that way. Maybe no NC was vacated, but if you think tatgate style stuff wasn't going on when OSU got their NC, you're delusional. Only difference was there wasn't proof that JT was lying about it back then. The man has looked the other way while that stuff ran rampant the whole time...going clear back to Youngstown. Maybe you won't admit it on a message board, but you know it's true.

Im sure Meyer will play his style of ball but it obviously never hurts to adapt and try new things. And Oregon didnt invent the hurry up and spread offense, just sayin

NO. Anyone that actually feel like there's more to it than just winning by any means feels that way. Maybe no NC was vacated, but if you think tatgate style stuff wasn't going on when OSU got their NC, you're delusional. Only difference was there wasn't proof that JT was lying about it back then. The man has looked the other way while that stuff ran rampant the whole time...going clear back to Youngstown. Maybe you won't admit it on a message board, but you know it's true.

Funny, I'm sure you think they are student athletes too. Winning is all that matters to the football coach, boosters, and AD. You could be the best coach at getting guys to graduate but if you lose more than you win you will be fired.

This topic has been argued this way by fans of other teams for a long time so its pointless. Your opinion is that Tressel was a terrible guy who did anything to win football games. That's fine, he got caught lying to the NCAA about not knowing of rules violations so if you want to believe that you have leverage. Mo Clarette was an idiot and said things about Tressel after he was kicked out of school so that usually is another reason why Tressel was a cheater. I'm ok with that, of course you would have loved Tressel to be the coach of UM during those years with all that success and if you wouldn't that is a lie.

But to think that stuff like this doesn't go on at every school is pretty funny to me. You don't think that Denard gets special treatment?

Funny, I'm sure you think they are student athletes too. Winning is all that matters to the football coach, boosters, and AD. You could be the best coach at getting guys to graduate but if you lose more than you win you will be fired.

This topic has been argued this way by fans of other teams for a long time so its pointless. Your opinion is that Tressel was a terrible guy who did anything to win football games. That's fine, he got caught lying to the NCAA about not knowing of rules violations so if you want to believe that you have leverage. Mo Clarette was an idiot and said things about Tressel after he was kicked out of school so that usually is another reason why Tressel was a cheater. I'm ok with that, of course you would have loved Tressel to be the coach of UM during those years with all that success and if you wouldn't that is a lie.

But to think that stuff like this doesn't go on at every school is pretty funny to me. You don't think that Denard gets special treatment?

There's only one word that matters here "CHARACTER".

is that other guy silverbullet97 logging in as his "dumb white trash ohio fan" persona??? Where did he come from?

If this was a shot at me, I post on the Tigers board and have for a long time.

Back