Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rousey knocked out in round 2

CBS sports.
By Lyle Fitzsimmons

The Ronda Rousey phenomenon is no more.

The brash UFC bantamweight champion talked her usual trash and ran to the cage with Joan Jett blasting from the rafters, but once she got there, Holly Holm was in no mood to genuflect.

The former three-division world championship boxer took the "Rowdy" one apart in every possible way through the first five-minute round, then landed a straight let hand and a thunderous left kick that sent the superstar crashing to the canvas at 59 seconds of the second round.

Referee Herb Dean immediately intervened, waving off what UFC announcer Joe Rogan instantly called "the biggest upset in mixed martial arts history."

It wasn't hard to compare it in magnitude to Mike Tyson's loss to Buster Douglas, when the unbeaten menace of a boxing champion went to Japan to face an unheralded challenger. This time, the scene was Australia, but the likelihood of an upset -- to anyone but Holm and her family -- was absent.

"I'm trying to take it all in, but it's crazy,” Holm said. "I got so much love and so much support here that I thought, 'How could I not do it?'"

In truth, once Dean waved the two women together, it never looked like Holm was wrong.

Her deer-like movement left Rousey exhausted and frustrated by the end of the opening five minutes, during which the challenger landed multiple left hands and, most importantly, was able to escape when Rousey pressed her against the cage and briefly got her to the floor.

Rousey's corner men tried to pump the champion up between rounds, but she went out for the second to more of the same. Holm landed several lefts as Rousey approached, eluded a rush that left the champion spinning toward the cage, then drilled her with a straight left hand and a follow-up kick to the side of the head that dumped her to the floor in a 134-pound heap.

Last edited:
When I said Holm clowned her, this is the main reason for saying so. I don't think there was any coming back from this:

giphy.gif

Man on Fox sorts one they are doing a post fight interview with her and I saw a clip with
Her blasting RR with a elbow.. Man that must have hurt..

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/157347118
HOLM BEATS ROUSEY, SHOCKS WORLD.
SportsOnEarth

During her time as a boxer, Holm collected 12 titles, which she defended a combined 18 times. She was crowned Ring Magazine's Female Fighter of the Year in 2005 and 2006, and was able to claim that title for various other associations and magazines over the years, even as late as 2012, when she won the Comeback Fighter of the Year accolade.

http://fansided.com/2015/11/15/ufc-...&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Breaking+Bar
UFC 193 results: Holly Holm KOs Ronda Rousey to win belt.
Fansided

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/holly-...h-one-devastating-knockout-092334693-mma.html
Holly Holm shatters Ronda Rousey mythos with one devastating knockout.
Yahoosports

Last edited:
I'm glad she knocked her ass out. Hopefully we don't have to hear too much more about Rousey and girl MMA

The fix was in.

That kick couldn't have crushed a grape.

Except her face was a bloody mess before the lights out kick.. Damm RR was getting her ass handed to her before the fix lol...

Last edited:
Most arrogant game plan I've ever seen. Still can't get it over that. That's Bill Bellichek level arrogance.

Except her face was a bloody mess before the lights out kick.. Damm RR was getting her ass handed to her before the fix lol...

Not everybody remembers - but you remember like I remember because you're getting old like me - that's what some sportswriter something Carson said about the "phantom punch" in Ali-Liston II (although Ali had been Cassius Clay the first time, technically).

Not everybody remembers - but you remember like I remember because you're getting old like me - that's what some sportswriter something Carson said about the "phantom punch" in Ali-Liston II (although Ali had been Cassius Clay the first time, technically).

What a great photo Cc standing over liston

What a great photo Cc standing over liston

Yes but he was Muhammad Ali by then.

That pic has got to be in every boxing in the country.

Ali was pissed.

He was convinced Liston took a dive.

"Git' up! Git' up and take your whuppin!'"

why is she hitting her in the shoulder and not in the face? Wouldn't a male MMA guy be pounding his opponent in the face?

You'd be surprised. Adrenaline rush from knocking your opponent down, the first few strikes are often wild. Unless you're Dan Henderson...

henderson-bisping-gif.gif

Back