Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rumor: AJax for Gardner?!?!?

Yeah I agree the move for Gardner really does NOT make the Tigers MUCH better this season and would obviously make us much worse next season so that trade makes no sense to be honest. But unfortunately with our lack there of options for CF it makes it to where even if we move him to fill a hole we are going to create another hole that is not easily filled with our lack there of talent in the minors. Moving a CF for another CF isn't a likely trade for the most part unless another has a contract they are trying to move. ALA Matt Kemp.
id be fine with kemp if the dodgers kick in money, though i was more of a fan of giving them kinsler (since they need an infielder, i think, and the contracts would roughly even out) and either putting kemp in a corner or moving ajax to one. we'd need a 3rd team involved if we wanted to trade ajax and get kemp.

Yeah I believe Kemp is probably not going to be traded now that the Winter Meetings are over and I believe his agent even confirmed it that he wouldn't be moved. Honestly though the Tigers are in for some rough times coming up soon with our lack there of MLB ready prospects.

Free Agents: (2015)
Victor Martinez
Torii Hunter
Max Scherzer
Phil Coke
Don Kelly
Joba Chamberlain

Free Agents: (2016)
Miguel Cabrera
Rick Porcello
Austin Jackson
Alex Avila
Joe Nathan
Rajai Davis

That is 12 players on our 25 man roster that are free agents within the next 2 seasons and honestly the Tigers only really have a couple prospects that might could take over any of those positions.

Daniel Fields for either Torii Hunter or Austin Jackson.
Casey Crosby or Robbie Ray for Phil Coke.
James McCann maybe for Alex Avila.

See trading Fister instead of Scherzer this offseason really makes no sense long term or short term for the Tigers. Scherzer would of surely brought back at the very least 2 MLB ready players/prospects. No matter WHAT type of year Scherzer has this coming season it's lose lose for the Tigers. You resign him now coming off a career year your going to be overpaying. If you don't resign him even if he has a down year ala David Price or JV this past season when he hits the open market he is going to cost even MORE than what the Tigers could resign him for now thus greatly overpaying to keep him so basically at this point the Tigers HAVE to be contempt with the supplemental draft pick he will be worth next season which begs to question what the heck is going on in the front office now?

Last edited:
trading fister for jack shit (no matter how big DD's erection is for ray) didnt help either.

And I have a hard time understanding how dumping one of the top 15 starters in baseball to sign a fucking closer that will give the team much less value and cost more is anything but a terrible fucking idea.

Oh ....he was top 20 earlier today....now he's up to 15! Anyone got 10?!!?!!!?!

Free Agents: (2015)
Victor Martinez
Torii Hunter
Max Scherzer
Phil Coke
Don Kelly
Joba Chamberlain

Free Agents: (2016)
Miguel Cabrera
Rick Porcello
Austin Jackson
Alex Avila
Joe Nathan
Rajai Davis

That is 12 players on our 25 man roster that are free agents within the next 2 seasons and honestly the Tigers only really have a couple prospects that might could take over any of those positions.

Daniel Fields for either Torii Hunter or Austin Jackson.
Casey Crosby or Robbie Ray for Phil Coke.
James McCann maybe for Alex Avila.

what the heck is going on in the front office now?

Tigers might be able to resign most, if not all of their players that will become FA in '15, with the possible exceptions of Scherzer and maybe Hunter/Martinez, depending on their demands vs production-age but certainly not for '16. They "might" focus on resigning Cabrera only but then again, IF the franchise is now being or soon will be controlled by Mike Ilitch's family, they probably will be or are far less driven to field true contending teams and would try to trade him perhaps even as soon as prior to the July '14 trade deadline, IF they were to become sellers. (Disclaimer: I am still optimistic that the '14 team will strongly contend throughout next season)

It sure appears that could be the case with the Ilitch clan now, b/c of how this offseason has progressed, and they may have given Dombrowski a mandate to keep payroll from accelerating and begin to rein in future obligations (Fielder/Fister)

Miggy might and should fetch enough to fill at least a few spots on the '15 or '16 roster. But DD fucked up the Fister trade so badly, it makes me believe that he very well could and would do likewise (if not even worse) with him too, Hopefully they won't do so, but they might have or even WANT to if they are going all in full cost cutting mode. Keeping Cabrera through next season would likely lower his trade value with just one year left on his contract, and interested ballclubs might want to be assured that they themselves could sign him to an extension.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree the move for Gardner really does NOT make the Tigers MUCH better this season and would obviously make us much worse next season so that trade makes no sense to be honest. But unfortunately with our lack there of options for CF it makes it to where even if we move him to fill a hole we are going to create another hole that is not easily filled with our lack there of talent in the minors. Moving a CF for another CF isn't a likely trade for the most part unless another has a contract they are trying to move. ALA Matt Kemp.

If he knows he's not resigning him I don't see the harm in moving him for a cheaper option that is a more professional ab in the lineup, a better base stealer and you still get an above avg defender in return while youtry to find your long term answer.

If he knows he's not resigning him I don't see the harm in moving him for a cheaper option that is a more professional ab in the lineup, a better base stealer and you still get an above avg defender in return while youtry to find your long term answer.

What's a more professional ab? Ajax vs. Gardner:

.759 career OPS vs. .733 career OPS

.278 career avg vs. .268 career avg

.344 career OBP vs. .352 career OBP

And in 2013 Jackson walked 52 times, and struck out 129 times, in 614 PA's, compared to Gardner who walked 52 times and struck out 127 times in 609 PA's.

So tell me how Gardner is a more professional AB, I'm dying to be enlightened.

Austin Jackson is that player who is just right on the line where it makes sense to defend him at times and temper other people's expectations at other times. Also, I've been a huge advocate of us trading for Gardner in year's past because his skill-set was what I thought the Tigers needed.

However, the Tigers shouldn't do a Jackson-for-Gardner deal. At least not straight up. The three years' difference in age are not negligible, and their play on defense is a wash. When it comes to stolen bases, sure Gardner has eclipsed Jackson in that category, but it wouldn't be surprising to see AJ swipe 30+ next season with the change in managerial styles. AJ also has a bit of pop in his bat, and we're going to need all the pop we can get if this roster is as close to finalized as has been hinted at.

Regardless, there's gonna be a whole hell of a lot of decisions to make with players and contracts in the next couple of seasons, as others have pointed out. It's tough to say what direction we'll take but there's a chance to take the payroll down a bit and stock the farm while remaining competitive. This could be a very exciting and defining stretch we have coming up.

I'm surprised sbee did not respond to this thread. He has some serious man-love for Gardner. Lol

You obviously are having a hard time understanding the concept of dumping salary si we can afford a closer. If you do a "fair" trade for fister then we pay those players the 7 mil and we still don't have a closer.

A SP is always more important than closer. Always. In case you missed it always.

WTF is going on in the front office...Is DD trying to F. the team up before he becomes the
commissioner? This trade makes no sense at all ...Very puzzled :/

WTF is going on in the front office...Is DD trying to F. the team up before he becomes the
commissioner? This trade makes no sense at all ...Very puzzled :/

It's just a rumor. I don't even think DD in his recent mental state would do this.

What's a more professional ab? Ajax vs. Gardner:

.759 career OPS vs. .733 career OPS

.278 career avg vs. .268 career avg

.344 career OBP vs. .352 career OBP

And in 2013 Jackson walked 52 times, and struck out 129 times, in 614 PA's, compared to Gardner who walked 52 times and struck out 127 times in 609 PA's.

So tell me how Gardner is a more professional AB, I'm dying to be enlightened.

he doesn't walk up to the plate, swing 3 times....and miss.

Gardner sucks.

if this actually happens it will be an extreme disappointment.

jackson got piled on by people even though he had a bad playoffs sure, but the guy has been a very good player here, even in the leadoff position.

fickle fans here.

i want Jackson leading off next year.

and i don't give a fuck if any of you if you disagree.

It's amazing the power of money though because when you consider most blamed Prince for his abysmal playoff performance Jackson's was actually worse. See honestly there is no difference whether you make 5 million or 25 million a year you have to produce.

And in NO WAY shape or form should Jackson see the leadoff hole again for the Tigers. He has always been better served hitting 6 through 9.

Maybe you better look at the walk, strikeout, and PA numbers again.

Gardner strikes out just as often as Jackson.

in 3 pitches? I said he was a more professional AB....I never said he doesn't strikeout. Ajax was one of the worst hitters in postseason baseball last season....ever.

All of you against this rumored trade....answer me 1 question. What does Ajax provide over Gardner? Cause the only thing ive seen anyone say is power lmaoaoaoaoa bwahahahahahaha.....the guy that hit 12 homeruns and 0 homeruns in the postseason.....and youll miss his power? fucking A....

in 3 pitches? I said he was a more professional AB....I never said he doesn't strikeout. Ajax was one of the worst hitters in postseason baseball last season....ever.

All of you against this rumored trade....answer me 1 question. What does Ajax provide over Gardner? Cause the only thing ive seen anyone say is power lmaoaoaoaoa bwahahahahahaha.....the guy that hit 12 homeruns and 0 homeruns in the postseason.....and youll miss his power? fucking A....

He's younger so you would expect more future years of production from Ajax.

Back