Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sox sign Porcello to a 4 year extention

Wow!!! I never thought Rick would get over $20 million in a season. Makes the Anibal deal look great.

Price could be unsignable. O well Dodgers, north of 300 mill next year? Somebody needs to start saving there pennies. Seven dollar pizza anyone?

Wayyyyyy too much money, Indians re-upper Kluber for less than half of that, and he is twice the pitcher Porcello is, glad we dumped him

A lot of money for a pitcher that requires a very strong defense to be effective.

It should be noted that this is actually pretty in line with market value. Porcello was a 4-WAR player last year. Outside of his rookie year (positive outlier), he's gotten better every year and is just entering his prime. The going rate for 1 WAR is almost 6 million these days. At that rate, assuming he can remain a 4-WAR player (not hard to imagine), he's actually a bargain.

He was a 4 WAR player one year. He has only pitched over 185 innings one time. He fades late in games and late in the season. He has a career ERA of 4.30 and career WHIP of 1.36

He is young and entering his prime but $21M a year?? That is a pretty big gamble that he will continue to improve.

Last edited:
Wayyyyyy too much money, Indians re-upper Kluber for less than half of that, and he is twice the pitcher Porcello is, glad we dumped him

Kluber has only 2 years at ages 27 and 28. Kluber turns 29 on 10 April. Porcello just turned 26 in late December. Kluber still had 2-3 cost controlled years when he signed his extension, mitigating his arbitration years. Porcello is past his arbitration years. Bottom line, this is an extremely fair deal for Porcello.

He was a 4 WAR player one year. He has only pitched over 185 innings one time. He fades late in games and late in the season. He has a career ERA of 4.30 and career WHIP of 1.36

He is young and entering his prime but $21M a year?? That is a pretty big gamble that he will continue to improve.

His FIP has been good for two years, and has also improved the longer he's been in the league. It's not nearly as big a gamble as you are making it out to be. Even if he is plateauing, he's probably a 4-WAR player on most any team with an average defense. That's not All-Star level or anything, but it's solid #2/#3 production. And again, that's better than the going rate for wins.

You can't just say 21 million as a number without any context. For one, the contract doesn't kick in until next year. Increasing revenues and continuous inflation mean that 21 million next year is less valuable than 21 million each year before it. For two, take a look at the list of free agent starting pitchers next year. The ones that are currently better than Porcello (which is a shorter list than fans here might want to believe) are all at the end of their primes (or already past them) and looking to get paid huge money. By next year, Porcello will likely be viewed as a bargain by comparison.

Last 3 years, ages 23-25

230 Innings Started Minimum (150 Qualify)

t23rd in Wins

33rd in WAR

34th in Innings Pitches

39th in xFIP

51st in FIP

FYI...over the last 3 years, Gio Gonzalez started 91 games with 553.6 IP. Porcello also started 91 games with 551.6 IP. A difference of 2 IP.

Now, just starters over the last 3 years under the age of 26 (42 qualify with 200 IP)

3rd in Wins

4th in Innings Pitches

6th in WAR

12th in xFIP

18th in FIP

Of all these starters (42), Porcello had the worse BABIP, which is a result of the horrible defense behind him.

Rick is going to look better in Stat compilations in that he has been pitching for seven seasons. He doesn't have dominant stuff and he is highly dependent on the defense behind him. I don't see him as a 20 million dollar guy. Certainly not worth it with the Tigers construct.

Sometimes you just have to look past the stats and ask yourself if Rick Porcello is worth 20 million dollars a year. The answer is an emphatic no. That contract is beyond ridiculous for a fringe 3rd, 4th rotation guy.

Sometimes you just have to look past the stats and ask yourself if Rick Porcello is worth 20 million dollars a year. The answer is an emphatic no. That contract is beyond ridiculous for a fringe 3rd, 4th rotation guy.

LOL...he is a solid #3 with potential to be a #2 and certainly based on age. It is ignorant to call him anything else.

Rebbiv if you were DD would you sign Rick to a 20 million a year deal?

Based on the Tigers' current payroll debacle....no. Is he worth $20 Mil to the right team and circumstances? Absolutely.

Career 4.30 ERA, 1.36 WHIP. He's not a 20 million a year pitcher, sorry. I'll go ahead and give you the solid #3. That's about it.

I think the thing Boston has going for them (and I think they are smart for it) is they are paying him for his prime years. Look at the Tigers...they are paying JV $28M a year for the next 5 seasons...Boston is paying Porcello an average of $19M a year over the next 5 seasons. If I were a betting man I would put my money on Porcello having more success over the next 5 years.

Back