Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The New Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I know and feel very confident in the decision I'm going to make," said Peppers.

His recruitment reminds me of Derrick Green - "everyone" seemed in agreement but Green took his time. From all indications, Peppers seems Blue too.

As nice and exciting as a verbal can be, hard to count some guys until they sign...and even then....

I'm like Champ - I could care less until the kid is making plays on Saturday and never "root" for any kid to commit or worry if the same kid chooses another program.

Kevin Grady was "Mr Football Michigan" and set all sorts of records and BooBoo Cissoko was one of the Top recruits coming out his senior year.

And then there's the greatest buckeye of all-time who was one-and-done and has now allegedly re-entered rehab in the Columbus area.

You just can never tell ...

I'm like Champ - I could care less until the kid is making plays on Saturday and never "root" for any kid to commit or worry if the same kid chooses another program.

Kevin Grady was "Mr Football Michigan" and set all sorts of records and BooBoo Cissoko was one of the Top recruits coming out his senior year.

And then there's the greatest buckeye of all-time who was one-and-done and has now allegedly re-entered rehab in the Columbus area.

You just can never tell ...

Yeah, I know all of that, but then why bother clicking on the "recruiting thread" at all? Why even look at recruiting? I know they could be busts, but I have to suspend those feelings, otherwise it's not even worth it to talk about at all and I like talking about it, so I'll act like it matters.

Yeah, I know all of that, but then why bother clicking on the "recruiting thread" at all? Why even look at recruiting? I know they could be busts, but I have to suspend those feelings, otherwise it's not even worth it to talk about at all and I like talking about it, so I'll act like it matters.

Well, I think it is nice to know recruiting is going well; as a fan of the team, I follow it just like I would injury news, suspensions, the depth chart, etc. I just could do without all the hyperbole and premature hype that goes along with recruiting threads, that's all.

Clearly I "follow" recruiting, but I also mock those who make a living from sniffing around after 16yr olds during Friday Night Lights and find the additional rumors, gossip and especially fan rationale very entertaining.

I mean we all know it's a game ...literally just a game played by college kids but also a game in that when some conferences, schools and regions have different standards for admissions, compliance and adherence to the "rules," it has to be viewed that way.

And I like how Hoke, et al are playing the game very much. We're getting "highly ranked kids" who also seem on board with the Michigan Way and the coaching philosophy of where the program has been and where it needs to get back to.

Team 134 and Project 135 have thus far been ...... TREMENDOUS!

Yeah, I skip over a lot of the bs. I do like to pay attention to who may be about to commit or who does commit. I don't really buy all the bs stories and I don't even get into who is offerred or who is visiting unless there are a lot on one weekend or something.

Just saying that it appears that once a recruit commits to this coaching staff, they are usually sticking. That's why I am paying attention to a verbal.

“@TremendousUM: It's official RT @PCFB_LIVE: @JabrillPeppers will attend Michigan”

Commit watch light is blinking...

Wilton Speight ‏@WiltonSpeight 10h

Big news tomorrow ��

Sam Webb ‏@SamWebb77 9h

2014 Clairton (PA) LB Chase Winovich confirmed tonight that decision will come Saturday

Lance Gordon ‏@LanceGordon 1h

Just a reminder that if Winovich picks Michigan today, he would be the SEVENTH commit for #Team135 with an OSU offer.

Last edited:
CoachBrown TheMBlock @CoachBrown3

Chase Winovich will be making his decision today at about 5:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfwPJVNmHp0

Scout: Three-star, #28 OLB
Rivals: Three-star, #30 OLB
247: Three-star, #49 OLB
Breakdown

There are two major attributes to look for when scouting SAM linebacker prospects. First, does the player have the length to keep tight ends and tackles at bay on the edge of the line of scrimmage? Winovich comes in at a wiry 6'4", making him a slender slab capable of putting on twenty to thirty pounds; he will need a year or two in the weight room, but he definitely has the height and arm length to play the position. Second, does he show enough athleticism to play sideline to sideline and contribute to the pass rush? Winovich isn't quite as explosive as someone like Jake Ryan just yet, but he is quicker than most prospects his size and should be able to develop pass rush moves down the line.

It's paramount that SAM linebackers play with consistent leverage and learn to keep blockers off the inside of their pads. Much like many other high school linebackers, Winovich doesn't deal with many blockers on film, often running past lineman or running through smaller, less gifted backs who have no chance of making a block on a future division I linebacker. Winovich isn't poor in this regard -- he actually makes contact and locks his arms out a few times on tape, and even showed a solid shed on a pass rush -- but learning to keep 250-pound tight ends and 6'5", 300-pound offensive tackles at a distance is a totally different beast. His instincts are solid, often cutting ball carriers off in the backfield or chasing them down from the backside, but he still needs to add muscle and learn to play with great leverage on every single down.

Overall, there isn't much of anything separating Winovich from someone like Kyle Berger, who receives more praise from scouting sites despite being a near mirror image of Winovich. Berger might be a touch more explosive, and he's also more familiar with the position he'll be playing in college, but the two are both wiry, explosive outside linebackers with above average ceilings.

Last edited:
Winovich is Blue!!!! This is going to be an awesome class.

Chase Winovich told GBW's Sam Webb:

"It's not been an easy process by any means ..."

"At the end of the day Michigan is the best choice for me."

"Academically it's superior to almost any other BCS program."

"Athletically it competes in basically every sport it."

"The coaching staff, and the players, that I'm going to be playing with are the best in the nation, and they're building the best recruiting class."

"It definitely wasn't an easy decision .. but after sitting own and thinking about it after these weeks and months .. Michigan is the best for me for what I am trying to accomplish."

Get Hand now, keep adding. Seems like everything is going right off the field for Hoke. Should be a good year this year. Should be in the race for the B1G title.

What are the chances this happens? I'm not one who keeps up with recruiting as much, so I'm asking you guys.

http://www.annarbor.com/mi/wolverines/2013/06/no_1_cb_jabrill_peppers_is_rec/

If we get the #2 overall CB in 2014 to go along with peppers and guys like Blake Countess (who will be a junior), man that 2015 year could be a seriously dominant defensive secondary. That's not even talking about all the talent on the line and LB.

Yeah Monster it really looks like we are building a very dominate team. If you look at the 12, 13 and 14 classes. You can see Hoke and staff had a plan and they stuck to it. They built the lines first then went after playmakers to fill out the team. This is gonna be fun to watch.

I love how once a kid commits he goes to work to recruit others. This really started with Shane but has spread. They all buy in and go to work. Hoke and Mattison are great recruiters but when you had top players also recruiting it is paying dividends.

What are the chances this happens? I'm not one who keeps up with recruiting as much, so I'm asking you guys.

http://www.annarbor.com/mi/wolverines/2013/06/no_1_cb_jabrill_peppers_is_rec/

If we get the #2 overall CB in 2014 to go along with peppers and guys like Blake Countess (who will be a junior), man that 2015 year could be a seriously dominant defensive secondary. That's not even talking about all the talent on the line and LB.

THAT is a great link Monster. I am loving Peppers more and more.
I think I need to get his Jersey number now...

#2 Right?

:yay::clap::cheers::nod::rush:>:D:tup::yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back