Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The New Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This stinks. Oh well it was kind of a luxury commit anyways. With last years class and this years we're pretty well stacked. Moar room for a wideout now.

No surprise, there really is a lot of competition right now at linebacker. We're just fine. He would have been a luxury like you stated. Absolutely right, lets start working on playmakers.

Not to mention it's gotta help with 2014 LB recruiting. Some kids might look at that depth chart and see Jenkins-Stone, Ross, Ringer, Bolden, McCray, Gedeon, Levenberry, and say...uh I think I'll try my luck somewhere else.

Latest With Treadwell

By Beth Long
Midwest Field Reporter
Posted Apr 26, 2012

Crete-Monee High (Ill.) wide receiver Laquon Treadwell talks about his recent recruitment, a timeline for committing, and who is after him the hardest.

One of the top receivers in the Midwest, Laquon Treadwell of Crete-Monee High in Crete, Ill., stood out during Sunday?s 7-on-7 match-up between the Chicago area Core 6 All-Stars and Indiana Preps to Prospects.

?It?s going pretty well,? Treadwell said of the tournament. ?There is some great competition out here today and everyone is doing their job.?

But playing for the Core 6 All-Stars isn?t the only thing Treadwell has been focusing on recently, he?s also taken some time for recruiting.

?I have only been to Michigan recently,? Treadwell said. ?I went for the spring game.?

He continued, ?It was a nice game and I was hanging out with the recruits and having a good time with them.?

Plus, Treadwell had planned on another trip ? which didn?t happen due to inclement weather.

?My trip of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State got cancelled because of the weather,? Treadwell said.

A trip that he plans on taking at some point.

?I would like to make it out to both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State,? Treadwell said. ?I will probably take officials out to both.?

Treadwell has not decided exactly where he will take his visits, just that he will take them.

?If it?s a school I really want to see than I will definitely take an official there,? Treadwell said.

Right now, Treadwell plans on taking his time with the recruiting process.

?No school is putting pressure on me,? Treadwell said. ?I am going to commit after the season after I have the chance to take my officials.?

But committed prospects, well that is a bit of a different story.

?There are a couple of Michigan commits like Shane and Taco talking to me,? Treadwell said. ?They are not trying to sell the program to me, just talking to me.?

He added, ?A couple commits from Ohio State and Michigan State are talking to me a lot trying to get me to come there as well.?

Latest With Treadwell

By Beth Long
Midwest Field Reporter
Posted Apr 26, 2012

Crete-Monee High (Ill.) wide receiver Laquon Treadwell talks about his recent recruitment, a timeline for committing, and who is after him the hardest.

One of the top receivers in the Midwest, Laquon Treadwell of Crete-Monee High in Crete, Ill., stood out during Sunday?s 7-on-7 match-up between the Chicago area Core 6 All-Stars and Indiana Preps to Prospects.

?It?s going pretty well,? Treadwell said of the tournament. ?There is some great competition out here today and everyone is doing their job.?

But playing for the Core 6 All-Stars isn?t the only thing Treadwell has been focusing on recently, he?s also taken some time for recruiting.

?I have only been to Michigan recently,? Treadwell said. ?I went for the spring game.?

He continued, ?It was a nice game and I was hanging out with the recruits and having a good time with them.?

Plus, Treadwell had planned on another trip ? which didn?t happen due to inclement weather.

?My trip of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State got cancelled because of the weather,? Treadwell said.

A trip that he plans on taking at some point.

?I would like to make it out to both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State,? Treadwell said. ?I will probably take officials out to both.?

Treadwell has not decided exactly where he will take his visits, just that he will take them.

?If it?s a school I really want to see than I will definitely take an official there,? Treadwell said.

Right now, Treadwell plans on taking his time with the recruiting process.

?No school is putting pressure on me,? Treadwell said. ?I am going to commit after the season after I have the chance to take my officials.?

But committed prospects, well that is a bit of a different story.

?There are a couple of Michigan commits like Shane and Taco talking to me,? Treadwell said. ?They are not trying to sell the program to me, just talking to me.?

He added, ?A couple commits from Ohio State and Michigan State are talking to me a lot trying to get me to come there as well.?

Still hoping we can close the deal with Isaac and Treadwell. If we can land both of them with the OL we already have and Shane we could have a very explosive offense.

Dymonte just said on Twitter that it looks like he will be able to enroll at Michigan in January

From Sam Webb...

Ty Isaac...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

will be visiting USC this weekend with his mom and dad. He insists that this is not a sign that he is about to commit to the Trojans or even that they lead. His mom didn't make the last visit so this will be her opportunity to see it.

How do I interpret this development... these are OPINIONS... but I've said for quite a while now that I think that this primarily a Michigan / USC battle. I've also said I thought Michigan led the race. I still think that is the case, however... the gap between the Wolverines is smaller in my opinion... MUCH smaller.

Michigan still has the proximal advantage, Michigan has the familiarity advantage, and I believe he speaks to Fred Jackson probably more than any other coach. But the Trojans are a legit threat

Isaac’s Due Diligence

Ty Isaac By Sam Webb
Managing Editor
Posted May 3, 2012

Joliet (IL) Catholic RB Ty Isaac is one of the most coveted prospects in the country, but his recruitment has flown under the radar in recent weeks. That’ll change in the coming days when he heads West for his second visit to USC. He chatted with GoBlueWolverine recently about the reason for the return trip, his decision timeline, his leaderboard, and more.

A few months ago the frenetic pace of recruiting had begun getting to Ty Isaac. As other prospects found quick resolutions to their recruiting processes, Scout.com’s #1 tailback suddenly found himself facing the distinct possibility of having to expedite his own. That meant more phone calls and more visits squeezed in a rapidly closing time window… all while maintaining the proper balance with school and training. That’s more a sign of the times than anything unique to Isaac’s recruitment, but he did choose to deal with that pressure differently than many others have.

Instead of coming to a hasty decision that he might one day regret and ultimately back out of, he chose to take a breather from the rat-race. In other words, less correspondences with coaches, even fewer with the media, and more weekends at home instead of on the visit trail. There was one exception to that visit rule, however… a late March trip to USC.

The purpose for the left-coast trek was two-fold... he would get the chance to unwind with his dad while spending time visiting family. He’d also have the opportunity see a school that he’d admired from afar. The trip proved productive on both fronts. He and his dad came back refreshed, and they also returned with a better appreciation for one of the talented youngster’s finalists. Now that that his recruitment has come into greater focus, he is preparing for another trip out to the Golden State.

“I get on a plane Friday morning… I leave for SC,” Isaac reported. “9:00 their time is when my flight lands. Then I’m not sure how long I’m there. I might leave Saturday night or Sunday morning… one of the two.”

The hint of uncertainty about the schedule is a partial reflection of who the trip is for. Sure it benefits Isaac to take another look at a program that made a strong first impression, but the benefit will be much more significant for a member of his family.

“My mom is coming out with me and my dad this time,” Isaac explained. “It’s just because she’s been to all the other schools that I’ve been to. She looks at (USC) as somewhere she wants to check out. If it was somewhere I ended up deciding to go, she wants to at least come check it out prior to a commitment or something… the same as with any other school. So (the visit) is definitely for her to get out and check it out. As far as the (decision-making) process goes, I still don’t know where I’m at, but obviously (the visit) is good for her. She’s been able to get everywhere else that she wanted to go, so, she said, ‘we have to go back.’”

The Isaacs’ return to Southern California is definitely a positive sign for Trojans surging chances in the race for the five-star prospect’s services, but he warns against reading too much into it. The inevitability of many recruiting followers doing just that was largely responsible for him keeping his visit plan close to the vest.

“At this point (people) are going to find out (about the visit) anyway,” he said. “They’re going to have writers out there that hear that I’m out there, and they’re going to write about it. I can’t control that. I knew I had it set up for about two weeks and I kind of didn’t want to say right when I knew because you know how some of these guys on the internet are. They go crazy… like two visits means a commitment. But it’s tough… you have to get out and see these places. Just because it’s far away doesn’t mean it should be a one visit type deal. I’ve been a lot of places multiple times, so we’re just checking it out again.”

How the schedule will shape up after the USC trip is still up in the air. He could take more visits (mom indicated another trip to Michigan is likely), he could attend a Nike Camp, and he could attend Nike’s “The Opening.” The one recruiting certainty in the months leading up to his senior campaign is that he will make his college decision.

“For sure,” replied Isaac when asked if he will make his commitment prior to the fall. “I was thinking about it today… once we get into the season, I’m not going to really want to call these people and I’m not really going to be wanting to visit. That’s nothing against any (schools or coaches), but you have school, you’re practicing, you’re focused on your whole deal. I’d rather just knock (the decision) out before (the season). “

That means in addition to visits, there will be a lot of interaction with his primary suitors via phone.

“I talked to Coach (Jeff) Hecklinski a couple days ago and I’ll probably be on the phone with Coach Jackson (today). We’re in pretty good touch. Once or twice a week I speak with somebody (at Michigan).

“I’m still in good touch with everybody that I need to be (at all the schools), “ added Isaac. “It’s been going a lot smoother than it had previously. I’m just taking my time and making sure I do this right.”

Isaac is still shying away from publicly naming any schools that may be standing out on his list, but that definitely does not mean there aren’t any.

“I have my little list in my head,” he admitted. “(Fans) are going to know where I’m going once I commit. Other than that, I’m just keeping it kind of to myself. It’s just because I’m more of a private person. “

There are, though, those rare occasions when Isaac lets everyone know exactly how he is feeling. One of those occurred when he couldn’t contain his excitement over being named to the Under Armour All American Game.

“That was the one I was waiting on,” he said. “I was cool playing in the other two that I got invited to, but you see the Under Armor game and it just looks like the most fun. People I’ve talked to that have been in it say ‘yeah, for sure, it’s the most fun.’ I feel like with this being the last time you’ll be a high school football player, it’s a reward for the things that you’ve done. It should definitely be about fun.”

Fun not just for Isaac, but as it turns out, for his entire family.

“We were all on the same page,” Isaac said laughingly regarding his family’s elation. “We were all kind of waiting, so we were all excited. It was pretty big."

Isaacs Head Back to SC

By Allen Trieu
National Recruiting Analyst
Posted May 8, 2012

This weekend, five-star running back Ty Isaac went back to USC, and his father went back to USC. However, this was his mom's first time seeing the campus. What were her thoughts?

Ty Isaac profile
Ty said this trip was really for you, since you had never been out there, so what were your general thoughts, now that you're back, on how it all went?
I thought that USC, the campus, was beautiful. It was nothing like what I expected. You hear all these stories on how it's in this horrible neighborhood and how it's surrounded by really bad things. I didn't find that at all. Yes, the campus has a gate around it, but the area around it and downtown L.A. is very nice. It's like any other urban area. If you go too far one way, it gets a little dicey, but I found the campus and the immediate area around it, beautiful. We got a chance to tour the new athletic facility and it was absolutely phenomenal. It wasn't finished. It's supposed to be done, I guess, before the season starts, but it was just beautiful.

And then meeting the coaches in person, what kind of impression did they make, and what are some of the things that they went over or talked about?
We met with the coaches Friday. We did not come home until Sunday, but we did not see any coaches at all Saturday or Sunday. That was more our time to look around L.A. Friday, they were very gracious. Coach P, the running backs coach, was very nice and very informative. He was grieving. He had just lost his friend Junior Seau, but he was very gracious and met with us, told us where he thought Ty fit into the plan. All the other coaches were very nice. Coach Kiffin was straight forward to talk to. I was comfortable talking to Coach Kiffin and felt like he answered my questions openly and honestly.

Did going out there make you feel better about, if that's where Ty were to choose, that the distance wouldn't be too great? How does that play in now that you've been out there?
We always told Ty that distance wouldn't be a factor. That, wherever he wanted to go was fine with us. We will find a way to make it to every game and visit him. With that being said, as a Mom, I still had issues with him being so far away even though we told him that we would never ask him to limit his choices based on distance. I hate to fly. I despise flying, but it wasn't that bad. I will travel for him if I have to. The flight took us about the same amount of time it would take us to drive to Ann Arbor. The difference would be that if I got up in the morning and felt like going to visit Ty, I couldn't do it, if he was in L.A. and it was spur of the moment like that. Did it make me feel better? I still have reservations about flying, but not the distance.

On a lighter note, I read something about you guys meeting Arnold Schwarzenegger, did that happen? How did that come about?
We got to meet Arnold Schwarzenegger when we were leaving the University's president's office. We were meeting with him and the provost and Arnold Schwarzenegger was his next appointment. He was actually supposed to meet with the president before us, but he was late, so he got bump back so the president could meet with Ty. I though that was pretty funny.

Some kids go out there to L.A. and meet Snoop and other celebrities and they get impressed and it plays a role in their recruitment. Is that the case with Ty?
No. What we're trying to base Ty's decision on is, what kind of offense do they run? The relationship with the coaches, depth chart, that's not a big deal, Ty's not afraid of competition, but if they have 20 running backs, why would they really need him? And how he gets along with the players on the team. That was another big thing. I read somewhere Ty said just because USC was far away, didn't make it a one trip type of place and that's true. How could you ever base where you wanted to go to school off of one visit? So, he went back.

I know it was important for you to get out there. It seemed like one of the missing pieces of the puzzle. Now that you have seen it, does it push things closer to a decision, or where do things stand as far as that goes?
Believe it or not, I have not talked to Ty about the visit. Not on the plane coming home, not since we've been back, we haven't discussed it. He didn't ask me how I felt about the coaches and I didn't ask him how he felt. Everyone asks us all the time, asks him all the time, when are you going to make up your mind? I don't ask him anymore because I think he'll come to me and say ok Mom, I think I'm ready to make up my mind. Before that happens, we are going to sit down as a family and go over everything. We're trying to make an educated decision based on some of the factors I told you earlier. We need to sit down, all four of us, including my daughter and see what works as a family.

Now that you've seen USC, is there anything left you feel you need to see, not just from them, but from any school? Are you thinking about visiting other schools still? Is there anything left unanswered that you feel is out there on the table still?
Questions always pop into my head and I have a very good relationship with Coach Heck at Michigan and if I have a question, I'll call him up. There are always little questions and I find as a mom, I probably have more than Ty or Tyrone do just about non-football related things also. I also feel as thought I could call Coach Baxter, who's Ty's recruiting coach or Coach P, the running backs coach, if I had a question about USC. I don't think that we'll have any more visits unless it's Michigan or USC.

Is it fair to say that it's down to those two schools or is there a possibility of other schools still?
I can't speak for Ty. As far as I know, I would think Michigan and USC are the top two, but that question would have to be for Ty.

Coach Heck??? lol

I'm sure there are times when the players feel like that's his name. That could possibly catch on amongst them.

"For that personal foul, Coach Heck had me run stairs all practice. I promised Coach Hoke it wouldn't happen again after that!"

Csont'e York is Blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2hGnVCbWig

http://mgorecruiting.blogspot.com/2012/05/michigan-offers-wr-csonte-york.html

The 6-2 prospect took countless reps, winning most of them and showing great ball skills, route-running and mismatch size. York has impressed us in several different settings and he deserves a lot more college interest than he is receiving."

Long, lean receiver who does a great job of tracking the football, adjusting to passes in the area and controlling his body to make tough and acrobatic catches. Has great hands and leaping ability. He's not a 4.4 guy, but has a solid burst and can create separation both underneath and downfield. He's not one who will give you a ton after the catch, but he has all the tools to be a productive college receiver. - Allen Trieu

York is unranked on Rivals, but he has three stars on Scout and 24/7 Sports. Scout ranks him 67th at wide receiver, whereas 24/7 Sports has him 69th. In the state of Michigan, York is ranked ninth by 24/7 Sports.

Last edited:
Csont'e York is Blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2hGnVCbWig

http://mgorecruiting.blogspot.com/2012/05/michigan-offers-wr-csonte-york.html

The 6-2 prospect took countless reps, winning most of them and showing great ball skills, route-running and mismatch size. York has impressed us in several different settings and he deserves a lot more college interest than he is receiving."

Long, lean receiver who does a great job of tracking the football, adjusting to passes in the area and controlling his body to make tough and acrobatic catches. Has great hands and leaping ability. He's not a 4.4 guy, but has a solid burst and can create separation both underneath and downfield. He's not one who will give you a ton after the catch, but he has all the tools to be a productive college receiver. - Allen Trieu

York is unranked on Rivals, but he has three stars on Scout and 24/7 Sports. Scout ranks him 67th at wide receiver, whereas 24/7 Sports has him 69th. In the state of Michigan, York is ranked ninth by 24/7 Sports.

But that can't be. I was told by an MSU fan that he belonged to Sparty.

Treadwell visiting AA this weekend. Rumors on MGoBlog are saying he's staying with Morris. Really hoping he pulls a LTT and the light bulb goes on in his head followed by a commitment. We shall see...

Also, thanks DeathRoh for all the articles.

Hold that thought. TomVH is saying it may be next weekend but MGoBlog is saying this weekend. Regardless, good news.

Treadwell visiting AA this weekend. Rumors on MGoBlog are saying he's staying with Morris. Really hoping he pulls a LTT and the light bulb goes on in his head followed by a commitment. We shall see...

Also, thanks DeathRoh for all the articles.

Hard to say.. he's visited like 10 times already. He'll be a great wolverine. I'm going to say there's a 40% chance he commits this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back