Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The New Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maize&Cheese304 said:
i watched his highlights of his jr year. he caught a td, ran in a td, returned a kick for td, returned a punt for td, int for a td, and blocked punts. had sacks. force fumbles

crazy thing is he did all of those a couple times.
Trust me the kid could make an instant impact in all three phases of the game if he came here. Crazy WR, good corner, and awesome punt/kick returner

We saw him and Countess last year when Good Counsel came to play at St. Xavier, where we have had season tix for years. St. X is one of the best 3 or 4 programs in the State of Ohio. Diggs looked like an adult playing touch football with a bunch of kids, except none of the St. X kids could touch him. He caught a punt at his own 30 in the 3rd quarter, and as he caught the punt, my 9 year old said "I'll bet he scores". Which he did. He is an unbelievable athlete. First round draft pick athleticism. It actually looks too easy for him.

As I watched the highlights I was thinking. Wow, I'm shocked mccarthy let's charles woodson go play HS football on fridays. Ha

But seriously, he would be one of most exciting recruits we've ever had.

wow nice juniro year highlight reel. Gos the kid can do it all.

Could he play on both sides of the ball for us?

bavarianinnman said:
wow nice juniro year highlight reel. Gos the kid can do it all.

Could he play on both sides of the ball for us?
he easily could but i highly doubt it

not sure if it's news or not, but i was watching my local news, in Sacramento, CA, and Shaq Thompson was discussing his top 5 and we weren't in it. I know there was discussion of him visiting this winter, but do recruits actually visit campus's when they aren't in their top 5?

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]not sure if it's news or not, but i was watching my local news, in Sacramento, CA, and Shaq Thompson was discussing his top 5 and we weren't in it. I know there was discussion of him visiting this winter, but do recruits actually visit campus's when they aren't in their top 5?

Seems like I read rececently that we were a long shot to land him and our best shot to add another DB is Yuri Wright.

Any breaking news on Dunn? Figured after the Purdue loss, rumors would be swirling again.

Yuri Wright not visiting per Scout....

I spoke to Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.) four-star cornerback Yuri Wright tonight and he said he is no longer visiting for the Ohio State game because of the focus on the rest of the season at his school. He is bummed about it, but it is a team-wide decision not to have kids visit the last few weeks of the season.
He still really likes Michigan and plans on visiting after the season. I will have a story on him Tuesday.

Scout will be updating their 2012 rankings, here's an explanation from allen trieu of what's to come (emphasis mine)....

Rankings will be updated today, so I wanted to come by and brace everybody for what's about to happen first. I'll start with the bad news:

BAD:
- Kaleb Ringer will drop from 4 to 3-stars. He's had a lot of issues over this season, including injuries that have lead to other guys below him leaping over him in the rankings. He just didn't do enough over the last year to maintain his ranking and there were others I felt were more deserving of the limited spots in the Scout 300.

- Aaron Burbridge leaped over James Ross to become the top player in the state. This is more about what Burbridge has done than what Ross hasn't. Biggs has had a great, great senior season, but I was cautious about Burbridge's initial ranking, but it appears as though he'll be on the field for MSU next year and the kid is special. I think he's an elite prospect and a borderline 5-star. Biggs' overall ranking did not change, Burbridge simply moved up.

THE GOOD:
- A.J. Williams will now be a four-star. We feel he's earned it and our Ohio guys think he could be a future early NFL draft pick as a left tackle.

- Drake Johnson will be back as a three-star. As I've explained before, he was a three-star to begin with and got leap-frogged as he was so quiet over the summer and early part of the season. His late season surge really impressed us. Any time you can produce as he has against the type of competition he has, it says something about your ability and he's been running with more power and attitude.

- Tom Strobel and Joe Bolden both moved into the national top 100. Our Ohio guys, Berk and Bill Greene, both voted for that. They said they've both been outstanding this year. While he did not gain a star, Allen Gant also moved way up.
THE REST:
- Pharaoh Brown moved to tight end. There are less tight ends than defensive end, so his position ranking went up, but really, he's in virtually the same spot he was before (high 3-star).

- Mario Ojemudia will move up quite a bit, but it was because he inexplicably dropped 100 spots, so he's just moving back to where he was before.

Most of the other commits will see minor changes, simply because guys moving up and moving down will naturally shift everyone, but any of those changes came because of that shift and not because of their play.

I'll answer any other questions and our Ohio guys and the rest of the national staff will be by for other questions too.

Q - Will Ben Braden get a fourth star?

A - Not this update, but still not out of the question. The main thing is, guys have to move out for guys to move in. This time, we moved three guys out (Ringer included), and I felt there were three guys more deserving than Big Ben (AJ Williams included) this time around.

Q - Any thought of giving a 5th star to Pipkins?

A - There has been some talk of it, but he's not in my region, so I have very little say in that. I know that our Midlands guy Greg Powers likes him though and moved him up last update.

Q - Allen specifically what did Burbridge do to help him make the jump? Statiscally his season wasn't that impressive from what I hear, or was that a product of a young QB?

A - Well, statistics aren't everything, and on a team with a new QB and with several other weapons (Funchess, Gairus Coleman, Lorenzo Collins, etc) Burbridge wasn't going to catch 80 balls or anything. What he did do, was, over the summer and through the season, show me that he has the complete package. Just watch the guy run a route and catch a ball and you can see how natural he is. He's explosive, has great ball skills, and was regularly the best athlete on the field. It's more that I see him developing into an impact player and that he has tremendous potential that gives him the ranking moreso than on-field production this year, because production is very often relative to your situation.

Follow up Q - Acceptable response. But compare this to Pharaoh Brown. The kid has exceptional size and great athletic ability for his size, was almost always the best athlete on the field, excelled at multiple positions on the field, and actually had a productive season. These types of criteria should be applied across the board. How does this criteria not fit exactly what Pharaoh Brown is yet he's a 3* and Burbridge is getting moved past an incredibly solid and productive player like Biggs.

A - Well, Brown is a kid that is an Ohio guy, so in Ohio, it's not just my say alone. Our Ohio guys saw Brown and didn't think he did enough to move to 4. He IS a good athlete, but as a tight end, there's more than just athleticism here. They said they felt he needed to add weight (I agree here) before he'll play because he's not ready to be a blocker in college. So the criteria was applied, but Burbridge is ready to play right away and we feel that Brown, while he has a high ceiling, may be a little more long term.

NOW - Devin Funchess needs to add weight too, but we think his receiving skills are a little but above Pharaoh's and Devin has a better chance of splitting out early in his career until he adds the weigh to play every down.

This is nothing against Pharaoh. I really like him a lot, but the two guys that saw him in person this year felt he hadn't done enough to move into the Scout 300.

Q - Surprised that Mario is only moving up because he was inexplicably moved down. The guy was a total beast this year. I'm actually a little surprised that he's not ahead of Burbridge for top player in the state. 12+ sacks, monster against the run, and a factor in every game that they played.

Now, obviously I don't see as much, or claim to know as much, as you do Allen. Am I wrong here?

A - Well, I just think we had it right to begin with. He was a top 200 player in the country. Very good company. He went down, which I didn't want to happen, then went back up. The move isn't just because he went down necessarily, but it gets him back to where we had him ranked previously, which I think was spot on.

He DID have a great year, but I still saw him get pushed back in the run game. He's still 220-225-lbs, and he'll have some work to do in that regard. We always knew he was a great pass rusher, and that's why I think his ranking is fair and justifiably already very high.

Q - Would you mind talking Allen gants move up? What impresses you guys? Just curious...
How about wormley.. I had Toledo hs coaches tell me last year that wormley was better than Hayes who went to osu. Talk about your thoughts on him please

A - Bill and Dave can better talk about Gant's move up. I had zero to do with it. Those guys both felt strongly about his move, so I went with them.

Wormley has had a good year. He had a slight move up. I really think he's in the right spot right now, which is right around the 150 national spot. Very high ranking when you consider that he's in the top half of four-stars.

(see next post)

Gant- Doesn't play in one of the power programs in Ohio, so he doesn't get the publicity of others, but I think he's a heck of a player and we had him too low. He might have suffered from the fact that he matured so early and was a force as a freshman. People expected him to be Stefon Diggs as a senior, but Gant is still a fine prospect. The Canton McKinley coaches do not throw out praise to too many players and they're very hard to impress. They raved about Gant and Wormley to me.

Strobel- Might have taken the biggest leap of any of the Ohio kids as a senior. Of all the big-time DE's in Ohio this year I had Strobel slightly behind most of them going into this season. After seeing all of them, Washington is clearly #1, but can make a case for Strobel being #2. He has gotten so much stronger and plays a lot harder than he did as a junior.

Bolden- One of my favorites this year in Ohio and I knew he was better than where we had him ranked when I saw him in 7on7 in June. A far better athlete than people realize, and Dave and I saw that when we watched Bolden against the Florida team. If he reports early, he can play early next year. Will surprise people with his speed.

Ringer- I think we had him too high originally, and then came a senior season that wasn't what he expected, let alone what we expected. Still has a lot of talent and has a chance to be a good player, and you have to see how he fits in with what Michigan will ask from him. I think the drop was warranted, but he could make us all look silly if he gets it together. And I hope he does because I like the kid.

Wormley- Like Allen said, I think we got it right on him. I think he's a solid four-star prospect and he should have a great career at Michigan. Right there with Strobel and Pittman, fighting for the #2 DE in Ohio.

Pharaoh- More athlete than football player right now. I think he's a solid three-star and viewing him as a TE probably puts him in a different light. Another good kid you root for, but more potential than player right now.

The one thing I want to add is the Ohio rankings are a three-man process. Allen, Dave Berk and myself. We all have different backgrounds, and this type of process keeps the politics out of it. Nobody got dropped or raised because of the school he is committed to. We may be wrong on some kids and time will tell, but the process was very fair for every kid and it was done honestly.

Bill Greene :: Ohio Recruiting Analyst for Scout.com

Some quotes from an article by a national Scout reporter about Wright and how he's not taking visits....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back