Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers aren't getting Choo, okay already?

I know a lot of people are pissed about this offseason, but I wanted no part of Cano, Ellsbury, or Choo at the prices they went for.

Well with less teams in play now, Cruz should be cheaper. Shake head, who knows.

One thing for sure. Keep letting other teams get better players. Forget the Tigers offense. Think what the pitching staff will have to face. Look at it this way there pitchers face two to three to four average outs. And the Tigers face a murder's row lineup more often. Just does not add up a good way to field a team overload on the pitching and under on the offense.

If for some reason we sign Cruz, Im done with DD.

I dont think we have to worry about it though, he'll go to seattle or baltimore.

I would not say we overloaded the pitching either.

Smyly is going to be a dropoff from Fister, but the real problem area is going to be the bullpen; again.

We are weaker on offense, especially with On Base percentage. We are big time downgraded on pitching.. All so we can have more speed and a better defense.

We are weaker on offense, especially with On Base percentage. We are big time downgraded on pitching.. All so we can have more speed and a better defense.

58669-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-Sm9B.gif

It continually boggles my mind how little our organization continues to value OBP. What the fuck is the point of speed if they cant get on base to use it?

It continually boggles my mind how little our organization continues to value OBP. What the fuck is the point of speed if they cant get on base to use it?

Even with losing Fielder for Kinsler, and adding Castellanos and Iggy, I think we still could have fielded a decent offense if we had gotten a decent power hitting LF.

As much as I don't want Cruz, I'm almost willing to say I'd take him in a heartbeat now...rather than watch another season of substandard power production in LF.

Almost...

almost, given that he sucks at everything but power lol, just like trumbo.

our only hope for LF is that dirks comes back from his knee injury and plays at least decently, and that ausmus only uses davis vs lefties. platoons done right can be productive, i just dont feel good about our platoon.

we were like first or 2nd in every statistical offensive category last year.....howd that go? Welp we squeeked into the playoffs by a game over the Indians and then sucked the entire postseason.

we were like first or 2nd in every statistical offensive category last year.....howd that go? Welp we squeeked into the playoffs by a game over the Indians and then sucked the entire postseason.

Well, not entirely first or second in every offensive statistical category, for the most part right up there, except of course in stolen bases.

Overall defense was bad, except for Dirks in left, and Iggy at short, anyone else....Infante was better than average, but the rest of the position players by ANY metric wasn't good.

Starting Pitching was OutF'Nstanding. It was the bullpen that Shit. and this is what is disappointing to me. Counting on relievers who were hurting late last year to come back strong like Rondon, and those who sucked Coke, and/or were also hurt...Joba??
It would have been better to resign Benoit, get another pitcher or two who had closing experience like the bearded fruitcake, or another that was available.......this 6/7/8 inning tape/bandaid/glue shit to get to the closer Nathan is what disappoints me. How many Blown Holds will the middle to late relief blow and Nathan can't get in there to get a Save?

What is the icing on this shit cake of an offseason was the obvious panic....if I should say that word to describe the quick trading of Fister and for getting hope in a lefty and other non-descript pieces of dreck. Fister, if we are to believe what Protege Steve posted that certainly sounds believeable was that Fister told DD he would like to get to the west coast when he became a FA. Off the top of my head, isn't that 2 years from now?

We have been spoon fed how great it will be that the Tigers have more speed in the lineup with Kinsler and 'chunky butt' Rajah Davis. Maybe Davis in a 90% platoon will work, but there are too many with low obp. You have to get on first via hits or Walks to utilize the speed. WTF good is speed with an obp of .300

I am not so certain with good feelings, that the improved defense, speed/baserunning, will compensate for the loss of power.

Add in the Fact that going from a fabulous 5 man rotation to now only a top 3... along with Smyly and Porcello will not be as good as the past seasons rotation. What happens to Smyly in late August when he starts hitting the maximum amount of innings Jump from last years number of IP to another 60/70 more in 2014.
Add in Porcello with the fewest innings pitched amount per start, and you Need a better deeper middle relief at least those.

The Tigers will still be favored for the Central but the indians and royals have gotten closer because these moves brought them a step or two back to those teams.

Well, not entirely first or second in every offensive statistical category, for the most part right up there, except of course in stolen bases.

Overall defense was bad, except for Dirks in left, and Iggy at short, anyone else....Infante was better than average, but the rest of the position players by ANY metric wasn't good.

Starting Pitching was OutF'Nstanding. It was the bullpen that Shit. and this is what is disappointing to me. Counting on relievers who were hurting late last year to come back strong like Rondon, and those who sucked Coke, and/or were also hurt...Joba??
It would have been better to resign Benoit, get another pitcher or two who had closing experience like the bearded fruitcake, or another that was available.......this 6/7/8 inning tape/bandaid/glue shit to get to the closer Nathan is what disappoints me. How many Blown Holds will the middle to late relief blow and Nathan can't get in there to get a Save?

What is the icing on this shit cake of an offseason was the obvious panic....if I should say that word to describe the quick trading of Fister and for getting hope in a lefty and other non-descript pieces of dreck. Fister, if we are to believe what Protege Steve posted that certainly sounds believeable was that Fister told DD he would like to get to the west coast when he became a FA. Off the top of my head, isn't that 2 years from now?

We have been spoon fed how great it will be that the Tigers have more speed in the lineup with Kinsler and 'chunky butt' Rajah Davis. Maybe Davis in a 90% platoon will work, but there are too many with low obp. You have to get on first via hits or Walks to utilize the speed. WTF good is speed with an obp of .300

I am not so certain with good feelings, that the improved defense, speed/baserunning, will compensate for the loss of power.

Add in the Fact that going from a fabulous 5 man rotation to now only a top 3... along with Smyly and Porcello will not be as good as the past seasons rotation. What happens to Smyly in late August when he starts hitting the maximum amount of innings Jump from last years number of IP to another 60/70 more in 2014.
Add in Porcello with the fewest innings pitched amount per start, and you Need a better deeper middle relief at least those.

The Tigers will still be favored for the Central but the indians and royals have gotten closer because these moves brought them a step or two back to those teams.

I agree....most of the off season moves were head scratchers. I think a lot of the moves were financially motivated. I think the only head scratcher for me was the Fister deal. I know they needed a LH BP arm and a utility infielder but I think they could have gotten more in return for Fister. That LH ML starter needs to either turn out to be a productive ML pitcher or he better be able to move him for another player.

Ron, I am skeptical as you, albeit not as negative but close. I have no magical stats like rebbiv shits out but visually I see a team needing to at least score from first on a double. We are going to get lit up like a xmas tree in the middle. All questions... walks ... ugly. Im done

Ron, I am skeptical as you, albeit not as negative but close. I have no magical stats like rebbiv shits out but visually I see a team needing to at least score from first on a double. We are going to get lit up like a xmas tree in the middle. All questions... walks ... ugly. Im done

I love me some Ron. He is a real American.

Ron, I am skeptical as you, albeit not as negative but close. I have no magical stats like rebbiv shits out but visually I see a team needing to at least score from first on a double.

We couldn't score from 2nd consistently on a ball hit into the outfield last year....so I guess that means were better this year :D

Tigers brass is definitely gambling on the SP, BP, bench, and especially the left side of the OF/IF being productive enough to favorably compare with last season's team. We fans can speculate for and/or against them, but we will have to wait until after ST, if not "40 games" into the regular season to discover if their off-season moves will and/or could pan out.

Seems like they got rid or let go of the very players that the new additions were to run for in tight and late games?

Talk about closing the barn doors after the horses got out.

It might be interesting to read DD's comments if his scheme blows up in his face prior to the ASB, then not having the pieces necessary to trade to fix what ails the team. Not dabbling enough in FA this offseason could come back to haunt him.

Back