Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers aren't getting Choo, okay already?

Rondell. I always liked him, Monroe too.

I'm relatively young, so Monroe is probably one of my favorite Tigers of all-time. I really don't care how good or bad he was, I just remember the big late inning home runs in 2006.

I'm relatively young, so Monroe is probably one of my favorite Tigers of all-time. I really don't care how good or bad he was, I just remember the big late inning home runs in 2006.

I agree, one of my recent favorites. 2006 was a solid year for him.

Looks like we're going hard after Choo. Maybe its a big enough of a deal that DD really wanted to clear space for it?

Doesnt make last night's trade any less fucking moronic.

Looks like we're going hard after Choo. Maybe its a big enough of a deal that DD really wanted to clear space for it?

Doesnt make last night's trade any less fucking moronic.

Fishing for better prospects still clears up the same amount of space, I still don't get this whole fiasco.

Keith Law's blog article below

"Viewed in a vacuum, the Tigers just misdiagnosed their bullpen problem as an isolated issue with the ninth inning rather than a lack of depth or quality across the board. Signing Joe Nathan to a two-year deal isn't excessive, as he probably has at least that many years of production left in the tank. But Nathan has started to lose velocity and had to shift to heavier usage of his slider as a result, and he's a traditional, one-inning, break-glass-only-in-case-of-save-situation closer, the kind of player usage foisted on us by a stupid stat invented by a writer decades ago. I hope Nathan sends Jerome Holtzman's heirs a fruit basket.

Viewed in the context of Monday's dump trade, where the Tigers sent Doug Fister to Washington for about 30 cents on the dollar, the Nathan signing looks even worse. Detroit may have given Fister away to clear payroll space to sign Nathan, going from about 200 innings to 60 without adding anywhere near enough talent to balance that out. (I don't know the Tigers' actual payroll limitations, so this is speculation on my part.)

I've spoken to numerous team executives who were shocked at the return for Fister and wish they had been given the opportunity to offer more or to try to assemble a multi-team deal that would give the Tigers the specific pieces they wanted. One contending team's GM, known to be looking for another starter, told me he hadn't talked to the Tigers about Fister in weeks. Another exec with a contender indicated something similar.

The demand for starting pitching is so strong and the supply is so weak that giving one as good as Fister away just to clear space for a 60-inning, 39-year-old reliever leaves the Tigers clearly worse off in the end."

source
ESPN source (requires insider)

Last edited:
Well with Ellsbury getting 7/153MM from the Yankee's this move for Choo could be very costly. Maybe 6/120MM?

Actually scratch that. Just been told Tigers offer to Choo is 6 years 110-115MM.

21 million for Ellsbury? F that noise.

And 18-19 million for Choo is too much as well.

Probably, but the market is hyper inflated this offseason. Since we wasted our SP trade chip on jack fucking squat, our choices appear to be to overpay for an OF (whether it be choo, grandy, or beltran) or to go with a black hole of suck in LF. Neither choice is very palatable, but id rather have good production in LF than Dirks or something again.

Im also becoming resigned to the fact that castellanos is going to be the starter at 3B this year even though I dont think he's ready.

Well considering the starting point was set this season with Hunter Pence's five-year, $90MM deal. It was common knowledge Choo was likely to get a little more than that so based on predictions getting 19MM AAV was just a notch above Pence's 18MM AAV which again was expected.

I've got a bad feeling about all of this. If Ellsbury gets $22 million a year, then Choo should warrant around $15-18 million. I'd be okay with that, because we'd have two pretty good OBP guys ahead of Miggy in the lineup with solid speed. I think it's bullcrap that the A's can trade crap for two good relievers in one day, but the Tigers can't seem to figure out how to even land a decent reliever outside of paying $10 million per year. If we sign Choo, our offense will look decent. Our bullpen is even worse than last year, even with a good closer like Nathan. We need a set up man and a good 7th inning man to rival AA and Rondon.

Another option would be to sign Choo, and then try to get Granderson back at a decent rate. Flip Jackson/Castellanos for a good 3rd baseman and relief pitching.

Well considering the starting point was set this season with Hunter Pence's five-year, $90MM deal. It was common knowledge Choo was likely to get a little more than that so based on predictions getting 19MM AAV was just a notch above Pence's 18MM AAV which again was expected.

Well maybe I just don't value him that much. I would have liked to see someone like him for about 77-80 mil for 5 years with a club option 6th.

That would have more than doubled Choo's previous years salary.

Choo isn't worth that much, but him getting on base at a rate close to 43% of the time with solid power and speed, he's the perfect lead off guy for us. Kinsler would fit really well in between him and Cabrera as well. Hunter would be moved to the 5 hole, where I feel he's better suited.

Choo isn't worth that much, but him getting on base at a rate close to 43% of the time with solid power and speed, he's the perfect lead off guy for us. Kinsler would fit really well in between him and Cabrera as well. Hunter would be moved to the 5 hole, where I feel he's better suited.

If we have a good top of the lineup Cabrera needs to back to batting 4th not 3rd. He only started batting 4th because of Fielder anyways.

If we have a good top of the lineup Cabrera needs to back to batting 4th not 3rd. He only started batting 4th because of Fielder anyways.

Why? Having him in the top 3 is the difference between him hitting with runners on in the first or leading off the 2nd. Would you rather have Victor ahead of him? I'd be alright with that as long as Hunter and Jackson hit behind him.

if we sign Choo our lineup should be:

Choo LF
Kinsler 2B
Hunter RF
Cabrera 1B/DH
VMart DH/1B
Avila C
AJax CF
Castellanos 3B
Iggy SS

I almost thought about swapping around the lineup for platoon splits, but Choo still has a .340 OBP for his career vs lefties (still higher than friggin ajax) so i didnt feel like messing with it lol.

Why? Having him in the top 3 is the difference between him hitting with runners on in the first or leading off the 2nd. Would you rather have Victor ahead of him? I'd be alright with that as long as Hunter and Jackson hit behind him.

That makes no sense.

If you have runners on in the first, and he's batting 4th why would he be leading off the 2nd?

With good OBP guys you maximize his production (and the teams) by batting him 4th. There are plenty of articles written that explain this, but I don't feel like having this argument yet again, and at least not in this thread.

We can just agree to disagree on this.

Wonder now if we can trade Dirks, since we obviously don't need him to play an OF position, he's got to have some value I would think.

Back