Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers aren't getting Choo, okay already?

That makes no sense.

If you have runners on in the first, and he's batting 4th why would he be leading off the 2nd?

With good OBP guys you maximize his production (and the teams) by batting him 4th. There are plenty of articles written that explain this, but I don't feel like having this argument yet again, and at least not in this thread.

We can just agree to disagree on this.

Because you're risking your number 3 guy hitting into a double play before Cabrera gets a chance.

SO what in the hell are we going to do if we miss out on Choo? Our valuable pitching trade chip was already wasted. Our only other chip would be Castellanos, and he won't get us anywhere near what we need. DD fucked this offseason up big time.

SO what in the hell are we going to do if we miss out on Choo? Our valuable pitching trade chip was already wasted. Our only other chip would be Castellanos, and he won't get us anywhere near what we need. DD fucked this offseason up big time.

Target Granderson.

Target Granderson.

It's a good idea. Hopefully he wouldn't mind returning to the team that traded him in the first place. I wish we could learn a asking price from his camp.. if it's reasonable, I say bring him back regardless if we sign choo or not. If we can land both, Jackson is a valuable trade piece.

Last edited:
It's a good idea. Hopefully he wouldn't mind returning to the team that traded him in the first place. I wish we could learn a asking price from his camp.. if it's reasonable, I say bring him back regardless if we sign choo or not. If we can land both, Jackson is a valuable trade piece.

And he would give us what we're missing from our lineup now, a left handed power bat.

Deal actually may have gotten done tonight if not for Ellsbury signing with the Yankees thus bringing Boston even more so into the mix for Choo.

I hope we get Choo. He would look so good in LF.

If we do indeed sign Choo I would expect Hunter to swap over to LF and Choo to play RF especially when you consider Choo has one of the best OF arms in all of baseball. You take advantage of an arm like that in RF where you limit the amount of 1st to 3rd runners.

Just a little example of his arm strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9zxNH_Cvxw

Last edited:
Keep in mind that both Granderson and Choo were made qualifying offers (1 year, $14.1 MIL). So they are both looking to make more than $14.1 MIL, or at least that for multiple years. Additionally, if DET signs Choo, they lose their 1st round pick in 2014. If they also sign another player who turned down a qualifying offer (Granderson), they lose their next pick after that.

I believe it is important to the future to retain as many picks as possible. Hence why I would have thought we could flip a starter (Scherzer, Fister or Porcello) for a starting LFer or 3B. My opinion, but DD bungled the Fielder and Fister trades. He signed a 39-year old closer and now might be giving up DET's 2014 1st round pick.

Keep in mind that both Granderson and Choo were made qualifying offers (1 year, $14.1 MIL). So they are both looking to make more than $14.1 MIL, or at least that for multiple years. Additionally, if DET signs Choo, they lose their 1st round pick in 2014. If they also sign another player who turned down a qualifying offer (Granderson), they lose their next pick after that.

I believe it is important to the future to retain as many picks as possible. Hence why I would have thought we could flip a starter (Scherzer, Fister or Porcello) for a starting LFer or 3B. My opinion, but DD bungled the Fielder and Fister trades. He signed a 39-year old closer and now might be giving up DET's 2014 1st round pick.

he also messed up by not giving JP a qualifying offer.

DD probably does his moves with his reputatiob with players on the line. There is a political side to baseball and if you are known as a gm that trades and signs players without concern for their careers, you're not going to be a very attractive destination for players by fa or trades.

Fister and prince both went to possible 2014 contenders and peralta was probably easier to sign without giving up a draft pick so that was probably a favor to peralta also.

Reports have Granderson on the verge of a 3 year deal worth 48 million with an option for 4th with the Mets.

I hate losing draft picks but I'm not sure Detroit would know how to use them if they did keep him. More power arms where maybe 1 of 10 might succeed. Am I'm being generous.

I hate losing draft picks but I'm not sure Detroit would know how to use them if they did keep him. More power arms where maybe 1 of 10 might succeed. Am I'm being generous.

Maybe DD will justify losing the first round draft pick by saying he picked up a "first round talent" pitcher in the Fister trade.

Maybe DD will justify losing the first round draft pick by saying he picked up a "first round talent" pitcher in the Fister trade.

Was there a player to be named?

Ray = 12th Round pick that walks 4 a game in the minors. (future LOOGY)

Krol = 7th Round pick who is a LOOGY

Back