Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers aren't getting Choo, okay already?

I hope that the Tigers do not sign Choo. I would rather have Ellsbury or Nelson Cruz.

I hope that the Tigers do not sign Choo. I would rather have Ellsbury or Nelson Cruz.

Its a good thing you're not our GM, then. For one, you're obviously not paying attention since the Yankees signed Ellsbury to a ridiculous contract yesterday (not that we should have signed him anyways.) Second, Cruz SUCKS ASS and I want him to stay far, FAR away from this team.

Last edited:

Would rather have Ellsbury for the price he just signed with the Yankees that everyone in their brother is saying was too much?

"Dombrowski: Dirks would be our starter in left if season started today, but it's Dec. 4."

Never one to tip his hand but I think this is clear that they don't envision Dirks being the starting LF next season.

"Dombrowski: Dirks would be our starter in left if season started today, but it's Dec. 4."

Never one to tip his hand but I think this is clear that they don't envision Dirks being the starting LF next season.
However, he's also saying that we wont be involved with the big FAs. Given that this is DD, it probably means we'll be signing Choo tomorrow.

However, he's also saying that we wont be involved with the big FAs. Given that this is DD, it probably means we'll be signing Choo tomorrow.

Yeah I don't think there is no way possible DD stands pat on Dirks in LF next season. Especially with him saying Nick Castellanos will be the starting 3B next season it would now seem the only holes remaining is in LF and the bullpen.

2013 DET Pitcher and other former DET Pitchers' Minor League Walk Rates = MLB AVG

Adam Wilk 1.3 BB/G = ??? (went to Korea)
Justin Verlander 2.0 BB/G = 2.8
Doug Fister 2.1 BB/G = 1.8
Ian Krol 2.1 BB/G = ??
Jose Alvarez 2.2 BB/G = ??
Rick Porcello 2.5 BB/G = 2.3
Jacob Turner 2.5 BB/G = 3.6
Drew Smyly 2.8 BB/G = 2.6
Luke Putkonen 2.8 BB/G = 3.4
Jeremy Bonderman 2.8 BB/G = 3.2

Anibal Sanchez 2.9 BB/G = 3.2
Phil Coke 2.9 BB/G = 3.4
Luis Marte 3.0 BB/G = ???
Darin Downs 3.1 BB/G = 3.2
Kyle Lobstein 3.2 BB/G = ???
Duane Below 3.4 BB/G = ???
Joaquin Benoit 3.6 BB/G = 3.7
Brayan Villarreal 3.6 BB/G = 5.6
Max Scherzer 3.7 BB/G = 2.9
Octavio Dotel 3.7 BB/G = 3.9
Evan Reed 3.8 BB/G = ???
Ryan Perry 3.8 BB/G = 4.5

Robbie Ray 4.0 BB/G = ???
Jose Veras 4.0 BB/G = 4.6
Justin Miller 4.2 BB/G = ???
David Purcey 4.4 BB/G = 5.2
Melvin Mercedes 4.4 BB/G = ???
Al Alburquerque 4.6 BB/G = 6.0
Jose Valverde 4.9 BB/G = 3.7
Bruce Rondon 4.9 BB/G = ???
Jose Ortega 5.2 BB/G = ???
Casey Crosby 4.9 BB/G = ???
Jose Valdez 5.7 BB/G = ???
Andy Oliver 5.7 BB/G = ???
Daniel Schlereth 6.0 BB/G = 5.9

**BOLD = 40-Man Roster

Would rather have Ellsbury for the price he just signed with the Yankees that everyone in their brother is saying was too much?

Dave Dombrowski is one of the guys that made this market by giving Fielder his crazy contract. I guess that building from within is the way to go. So much for our big splash.

2013 DET Pitcher and other former DET Pitchers' Minor League Walk Rates = MLB AVG

Adam Wilk 1.3 BB/G = ??? (went to Korea)
Justin Verlander 2.0 BB/G = 2.8
Doug Fister 2.1 BB/G = 1.8
Ian Krol 2.1 BB/G = ??
Jose Alvarez 2.2 BB/G = ??
Rick Porcello 2.5 BB/G = 2.3
Jacob Turner 2.5 BB/G = 3.6
Drew Smyly 2.8 BB/G = 2.6
Luke Putkonen 2.8 BB/G = 3.4
Jeremy Bonderman 2.8 BB/G = 3.2

Anibal Sanchez 2.9 BB/G = 3.2
Phil Coke 2.9 BB/G = 3.4
Luis Marte 3.0 BB/G = ???
Darin Downs 3.1 BB/G = 3.2
Kyle Lobstein 3.2 BB/G = ???
Duane Below 3.4 BB/G = ???
Joaquin Benoit 3.6 BB/G = 3.7
Brayan Villarreal 3.6 BB/G = 5.6
Max Scherzer 3.7 BB/G = 2.9
Octavio Dotel 3.7 BB/G = 3.9
Evan Reed 3.8 BB/G = ???
Ryan Perry 3.8 BB/G = 4.5

Robbie Ray 4.0 BB/G = ???
Jose Veras 4.0 BB/G = 4.6
Justin Miller 4.2 BB/G = ???
David Purcey 4.4 BB/G = 5.2
Melvin Mercedes 4.4 BB/G = ???
Al Alburquerque 4.6 BB/G = 6.0
Jose Valverde 4.9 BB/G = 3.7
Bruce Rondon 4.9 BB/G = ???
Jose Ortega 5.2 BB/G = ???
Casey Crosby 4.9 BB/G = ???
Jose Valdez 5.7 BB/G = ???
Andy Oliver 5.7 BB/G = ???
Daniel Schlereth 6.0 BB/G = 5.9

**BOLD = 40-Man Roster

If all of those walk rates were when the pitcher was only 21 then you might have a point.

that would be as dumb as saying a 21 year old pitcher that has a somewhat high walk rate won't make it as a MLB pitcher.

Geez Tom. Of all the ML pitchers to have lasted at least 5 years or more, 5% had a walk rate of 4.0 or higher in the minor leagues.

The odds of 5% does not bode well for Ray. That is why I say it is unlikely he even makes it to being a #3, let alone a #4.

With all you "nay sayers", I would like any evidence to the contrary. Citing 1 or 2 exceptions (members of the 5%) really isn't generating an argument.

Pitchers need to have command of their pitches. If they cannot throw strikes consistently, they won't last long. Also, most pitchers tend to walk more than their Minor Averages when they reach the Major Leagues. And yes Tom and Stone, there are such a thing as "exceptions".

Also, I forget to add Matt Anderson to my list. Career minor leagues = 4.8 BB/G, 5.5 BB/G

Geez Tom. Of all the ML pitchers to have lasted at least 5 years or more, 5% had a walk rate of 4.0 or higher in the minor leagues.

The odds of 5% does not bode well for Ray. That is why I say it is unlikely he even makes it to being a #3, let alone a #4.

With all you "nay sayers", I would like any evidence to the contrary. Citing 1 or 2 exceptions (members of the 5%) really isn't generating an argument.

Pitchers need to have command of their pitches. If they cannot throw strikes consistently, they won't last long. Also, most pitchers tend to walk more than their Minor Averages when they reach the Major Leagues. And yes Tom and Stone, there are such a thing as "exceptions".

Also, I forget to add Matt Anderson to my list. Career minor leagues = 4.8 BB/G, 5.5 BB/G

good thing he is only 21 and will likely stay in the minor leagues longer. He did only pitch in AA one season and his walk rate was 3.3

Perhaps he will get better? I don't know and you certainly don't either.

All this is mostly because you spew a few stats and act like you know what will happen in the future. He may never become a ML starter but for you to say he won't because he has a walk rate of 3.3 at the age of 21 sounds a little arrogant on your part.

If all of those walk rates were when the pitcher was only 21 then you might have a point.

You never have a point.

Listen Tom, 21 year old hitters matter and can learn to take a walk. 21 year old pitchers are different. It isn't like they can "learn not to walk batters". It is the mechanical ability to throw strikes. You can teach them to develop a 2nd, 3rd and 4th pitch, but they still have to throw it for strikes.

Hard throwers in the lower minors can get away with throwing 95 MPH fastballs all the time in order to not walk hitters, especially if your other pitches aren't working. As you advance in levels, the hitters are more sophisticated and can hit those pitches.

So walk rates, regardless of ages, still matter.

good thing he is only 21 and will likely stay in the minor leagues longer. He did only pitch in AA one season and his walk rate was 3.3

Perhaps he will get better? I don't know and you certainly don't either.

All this is mostly because you spew a few stats and act like you know what will happen in the future. He may never become a ML starter but for you to say he won't because he has a walk rate of 3.3 at the age of 21 sounds a little arrogant on your part.

How course I don't know. But I can take an "educated" guess.

Are you sore because I am well versed in statistical analysis and know a thing or two about how to play baseball? Sorry Tom if that implies I am "arrogant". Sorry for taking an objective approach versus your rather subjective.

You never have a point.

Listen Tom, 21 year old hitters matter and can learn to take a walk. 21 year old pitchers are different. It isn't like they can "learn not to walk batters". It is the mechanical ability to throw strikes. You can teach them to develop a 2nd, 3rd and 4th pitch, but they still have to throw it for strikes.

Hard throwers in the lower minors can get away with throwing 95 MPH fastballs all the time in order to not walk hitters, especially if your other pitches aren't working. As you advance in levels, the hitters are more sophisticated and can hit those pitches.

So walk rates, regardless of ages, still matter.

so what you are saying is pitchers that are 21 can't change their mechanics and become better pitchers?

#Tigers Dombrowski "guarantees" there's nothing imminent with Choo.

Honestly I know for a fact there is an offer on the table for him BUT no GM in their right mind would say anything different in terms of anything imminent with anyone and even more so considering the amount of teams said to be interested in Choo.

Last edited:
Honestly I know for a fact there is an offer on the table for him BUT no GM in their right mind would say anything different in terms of anything imminent with anyone and even more so considering the amount of teams said to be interested in Choo.

How do you know these things?

Dave Dombrowski is one of the guys that made this market by giving Fielder his crazy contract. I guess that building from within is the way to go. So much for our big splash.

I have a feeling that with the exception of possivly acquiring some additional BP pieces, like maybe signing Benoit for setup and occasionally closer roles, the rest of the holes in LF. (Dirks) 3B, (Castellanos) and bench will be filled internally. Might be a bench comprised of Kelly, Lombardozzi, Perez, and Holaday.

Obviously if so, the Tigers offense will be noticeably if not significantly weaker overall than last season's team, absent "career" seasons by a few starters. Of course the team also has several players who could very well regress if not tank completely..

Back