Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers aren't getting Choo, okay already?

Al Avila Says Robbie Ray "kid with high ceiling, easy arm action, downhill FB w late movement, can be No 3, maybe no 2, pitched shutout vs Erie

No he didn't, once again you are misquoting someone. What he said was:

Notice he never said "can't" and never said "an MLB starter".

I didn't quote him....I said "basically" which is NOT quoting someone.

Al Avila Says Robbie Ray "kid with high ceiling, easy arm action, downhill FB w late movement, can be No 3, maybe no 2, pitched shutout vs Erie

Apparently Al Avila Sr. has to wipe his nose off every time Dombrowski stops walking for a second.

All the company men are going to fall in line and praise Ray like he's the next Chris Sale/Cliff Lee, just watch.

Gone
Fielder
Peralta
Infante
Pena
Santiago
Tuiasosopo
Fister
Veras
Benoit
Dotel
Valverde

Gained
Kinsler
Lombardozzi
Nathan
Krol

Am I missing something?

well for one thing, -11+4 =room for 7 new faces. one of them better be a hitter that can play left!

If we cant land Choo, Beltran, or Grandy, would it be worth taking a flyer on Corey Hart? We could hide his glove in LF for his bat. Wouldnt help LH power, but its better than the black hole of suck that our LF currently is.

Last edited:
If we cant land Choo, Beltran, or Grandy, would it be worth taking a flyer on Corey Hart? We could hide his glove in LF for his bat. Wouldnt help LH power, but its better than the black hole of suck that our LF currently is.

Any idea on his recovery status? While he's probably better than Dirks, the fact he's coming off an injury that sidelined him a whole season, not to mention he's half the hitter outside of Miller Park. last 3 years average: .976 OPS home, .745 OPS away.

I'm really hoping we get Grandy or Choo.

Any idea on his recovery status? While he's probably better than Dirks, the fact he's coming off an injury that sidelined him a whole season, not to mention he's half the hitter outside of Miller Park. last 3 years average: .976 OPS home, .745 OPS away.

I'm really hoping we get Grandy or Choo.

I am too, but im not hopeful. Id be willing to bet Grandy signs with the mets in the next few days, and i doubt we've even contacted his agent. Hopefully we're still in on Choo and DD was just smokescreening with his comments today as he is wont to do.

I'd forgotten about Hart's splits, I remember now thats the reason I wasnt high on him originally. And its not like theres a dearth of hitters parks in the NL Central, either.

Double knee surgery does not bode well for Hart, aside for his abysmal splits.

Gone
Fielder
Peralta
Infante
Pena
Santiago
Tuiasosopo
Fister
Veras
Benoit
Dotel
Valverde

Gained
Kinsler
Lombardozzi
Nathan
Krol

Am I missing something?

Pretty much as it stands. Also loss Downs as well.

Starters:

Kinsler - 2B
Hunter - RF
Cabrera - 1B
Martinez - DH
Avila - C
Dirks - LF
Castellanos - 3B
Jackson - CF
Iglesias - SS

Bench:

Lombardozzi IF/OF
Kelly - OF/IF
Perez - IF
Worth - IF
Holaday - C

Starting Pitchers:

Verlander
Scherzer
Sanchez
Porcello
Smyly

Bullpen:

Coke - LH
Krol - LH
Alvarez - LH or Reed - RH
Alburquerque - RH
Rondon - Setup
Nathan - Closer

Starters:

Kinsler - 2B
Hunter - RF
Cabrera - 1B
Martinez - DH
Avila - C
Dirks - LF
Castellanos - 3B
Jackson - CF
Iglesias - SS

Bench:

Lombardozzi IF/OF
Kelly - OF/IF
Perez - IF
Worth - IF

Holaday - C

Starting Pitchers:

Verlander
Scherzer
Sanchez
Porcello
Smyly

Bullpen:

Coke - LH
Krol - LH
Alburquerque - RH
Rondon - Setup
Nathan - Closer

I think only 2 of the bench players in bold should make the team. I hope that isnt the bull pen on opening day!

Well I believe Kelly's versatility to be able to play 3B and all the OF positions will make it almost certain he makes the team especially now with Castellanos going to be given the option to win the 3B job this spring. Lombardozzi as well I think will make the team solely on his versatility because lord knows it's not for his bat lol. Perez I would like to see make the team because really he would be the only viable pinch runner with at least decent speed. As far as Worth I would much rather see him in AAA but honestly at this point looking over options currently on our 40 man roster is limiting to say the least lol.

MAYBE Daniel Fields makes the team out of ST but that is HIGHLY unlikely at this point as he is probably heading to AAA.

I think by looking at this though it's OBVIOUS there HAS to be at least another move or 2 on the horizon because no way we start the season with the current team we have. While I think we have enough to still make the playoffs even thinking we have a chance to contend further than that I believe would be far fetched.

Well I believe Kelly's versatility to be able to play 3B and all the OF positions will make it almost certain he makes the team especially now with Castellanos going to be given the option to win the 3B job this spring. Lombardozzi as well I think will make the team solely on his versatility because lord knows it's not for his bat lol. Perez I would like to see make the team because really he would be the only viable pinch runner with at least decent speed. As far as Worth I would much rather see him in AAA but honestly at this point looking over options currently on our 40 man roster is limiting to say the least lol.

MAYBE Daniel Fields makes the team out of ST but that is HIGHLY unlikely at this point as he is probably heading to AAA.

I think by looking at this though it's OBVIOUS there HAS to be at least another move or 2 on the horizon because no way we start the season with the current team we have. While I think we have enough to still make the playoffs even thinking we have a chance to contend further than that I believe would be far fetched.

If the Tigers don't add a full time LF I think they will add a RH platoon bat with Dirks. I'm not sure I would add Perez just for a pinch runner. Do you know how Lomba runs?

If the Tigers don't add a full time LF I think they will add a RH platoon bat with Dirks. I'm not sure I would add Perez just for a pinch runner. Do you know how Lomba runs?

Average would be a little generous in my opinion lol.

Honestly I would much rather have Perez make the team outta spring training than Lombardozzi. I think neither are above average with the bat but when you look at defense and base running ability Perez is better at both.

Do you know how Lomba runs?

From what I read, Lombardozzi has above average speed. While baserunning isn't all about speed, he swiped 30 bags between AA and AAA in 2011 (30/38, ~79%), hasn't had much success (or attempts) in the majors so far (2012/2013 combined: 9/15, 60%, don't know how much of that is due to being at the next level vs baserunning philosophy for the Nationals).

Last edited:
Perez the last 3 seasons in the minors.

78 SB with 17 CS (82% success rate)

A reliable scouting report on Lombardozzi prior to his ML arrival:

Lombardozzi can hit. He features plus natural hitting ability with an aggressive approach and a knack for contact as either a right or left-handed hitter. He doesn’t work counts or offer any power in his game, leaving him completely reliant on his batting average to have value. He is a heady defender at second base and stretched thin at either shortstop or third base. He could be a fringe-average regular at the keystone if the bat plays at the big league level.

As far as speed. From what I hear he is average, but gets a good read/lead when stealing a base.

Starters:

Kinsler - 2B
Hunter - RF
Cabrera - 1B
Martinez - DH
Avila - C
Dirks - LF
Castellanos - 3B
Jackson - CF
Iglesias - SS

Bench:

Lombardozzi IF/OF
Kelly - OF/IF
Perez - IF
Worth - IF
Holaday - C

Starting Pitchers:

Verlander
Scherzer
Sanchez
Porcello
Smyly

Bullpen:

Coke - LH
Krol - LH
Alburquerque - RH
Rondon - Setup
Nathan - Closer

That might be the worst bench in all of baseball.

Back