Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers aren't getting Choo, okay already?

I wish we would delete this thread... Every damn time I look I see this heading and think
yippee... lol

From what I read, Lombardozzi has above average speed. While baserunning isn't all about speed, he swiped 30 bags between AA and AAA in 2011 (30/38, ~79%), hasn't had much success (or attempts) in the majors so far (2012/2013 combined: 9/15, 60%, don't know how much of that is due to being at the next level vs baserunning philosophy for the Nationals).

He runs above average. Davey Johnson mainly used him as a pinch hitter due to Rendon, Desmond, and Zimmerman and for 2012 Espinosa accounting for all of the IF positions. He pinch hit in 47 games in 2013.

Lombo did get a few spurts of regular playing time when Rendon And Zimmerman were hurt. But it was a sample size at best.

As far as playing in the outfield forget it. He doesn't hit while playing in the outfield. He is at his best at 2B. With all infield positions taken, he will be a spersub type player.

Here is a link I found Pretty bad numbers when playing OF

http://natsinsider.com/2013/10/25/roster-review-steve-lombardozzi/

He runs above average. Davey Johnson mainly used him as a pinch hitter due to Rendon, Desmond, and Zimmerman and for 2012 Espinosa accounting for all of the IF positions. He pinch hit in 47 games in 2013.

Lombo did get a few spurts of regular playing time when Rendon And Zimmerman were hurt. But it was a sample size at best.

As far as playing in the outfield forget it. He doesn't hit while playing in the outfield. He is at his best at 2B. With all infield positions taken, he will be a spersub type player.

A Supersub? Lol. Come on man, that term just means he can play a couple position, it doesn't even mean a couple positions well.

He's a superdud.

So his 82 Plate Appearances in LF for 2013 are enough to draw conclusions? A hitter is who he is, regardless of the position (except maybe catcher and the wear and tear). His primary issue is he does not take any walks and he rarely hits for power.

And again, he has average to slightly above average speed. His stolen bases are primarily due to his being able to read the pitcher's move and being heady.

Was curious how many pitches Lombarzzadanios takes

3.18 P/PA last year

Ouch

Average would be a little generous in my opinion lol.

Honestly I would much rather have Perez make the team outta spring training than Lombardozzi. I think neither are above average with the bat but when you look at defense and base running ability Perez is better at both.

So you would rather hamper the development of a 22 year old player with some potential by sitting him on the bench for most of a year, just so he can pinch run and steal the occasional base?

What job did you have in baseball that would compel you to that?

So his 82 Plate Appearances in LF for 2013 are enough to draw conclusions? A hitter is who he is, regardless of the position (except maybe catcher and the wear and tear). His primary issue is he does not take any walks and he rarely hits for power.

And again, he has average to slightly above average speed. His stolen bases are primarily due to his being able to read the pitcher's move and being heady.

I dunno, the game takes such a toll on some guys mentally it's hard to say. He didn't hit at all playing LF. But he hit pretty decent playing 2B.

Maybe they guy was a headcase when in LF, worrying he might butcher a fly ball to lose the game. He was an IF'er his whole career.

30 SB's in 38 attemps and 86 Runs in 134 games are 2 stats not many players can get to with average speed. Above average is more like it.

Only 3 players in MLB have accomplished this in 2013

Ellsbury R/SB 92/52
Andrus 91/42
Trout 109/33

Your scouting report on his speed is toilet paper

Last edited:
I dunno, the game takes such a toll on some guys mentally it's hard to say. He didn't hit at all playing LF. But he hit pretty decent playing 2B.

Maybe they guy was a headcase when in LF, worrying he might butcher a fly ball to lose the game. He was an IF'er his whole career.

30 SB's in 38 attemps and 86 Runs in 134 games are 2 stats not many players can get to with average speed. Above average is more like it.

Only 3 players in MLB have accomplished this in 2013

Ellsbury R/SB 92/52
Andrus 91/42
Trout 109/33

Your scouting report on his speed is toilet paper

Runs scored determines someone's speed? OK, you are right and the MLB scouts are wrong.

Why is it people believe speed is the key to stolen bases and not reading the pitcher and getting a good jump?

Plenty of fast guys can't steal for shit, see: Austin Jackson

Runs scored determines someone's speed? OK, you are right and the MLB scouts are wrong.

Face it you just hate the guy. 30 SB'S in 38 attemps isn't just cause a guy reads a pitcher well. If he has average speed other teams woulda been gunning him down cosistanly

Also 86 runs with the benefit of only 8 homeruns. He has above average speed. The scouting report is stupid it list average to above average speed. It has to be one or the other not both?

Last edited:
So you would rather hamper the development of a 22 year old player with some potential by sitting him on the bench for most of a year, just so he can pinch run and steal the occasional base?

What job did you have in baseball that would compel you to that?

One that understands there is reasoning behind the fact that Perez is ranked in the bottom half of the Tigers top 50 Prospects and #3 in terms of second basemen to boot behind Devon Travis and Harold Castro. He is the ideal utility player based on the fact he doesn't have the bat and lacks plate discipline (17 BBs in 458 PA last season) to be an everyday player.

If he had the defense of say Jose Iglesias then MAYBE we could see him in an everyday role but because his defense ranks at BEST slightly above average at 2B and SS you use him for what he is and that would be a utility infielder with above average speed.

One that understands there is reasoning behind the fact that Perez is ranked in the bottom half of the Tigers top 50 Prospects and #3 in terms of second basemen to boot behind Devon Travis and Harold Castro. He is the ideal utility player based on the fact he doesn't have the bat and lacks plate discipline (17 BBs in 458 PA last season) to be an everyday player.

If he had the defense of say Jose Iglesias then MAYBE we could see him in an everyday role but because his defense ranks at BEST slightly above average at 2B and SS you use him for what he is and that would be a utility infielder with above average speed.

He made significant increase with his bat between 2012 and 2013, add the fact he is only 22 and I'd rather have him playing every day no matter how he's ranked. Our farm system is very limited, all making him a utility infielder would do would be saying he's expendable and throwing him away.

He made significant increase with his bat between 2012 and 2013, add the fact he is only 22 and I'd rather have him playing every day no matter how he's ranked. Our farm system is very limited, all making him a utility infielder would do would be saying he's expendable and throwing him away.

Last I checked Utility infielders HAVE value to every single team in the majors. How the hell you think Santiago was able to stick around for so many years with us? It's not a knock on him it's simply understanding what his role with the team at least for now is. If you leave him in AAA this year for instance when we have our 2 higher rated 2B in A and AA, what happens if either of them warrant a call up to AAA?

The best case scenario is you have Perez on the 25 man roster and have him build his value as a utility player. Let's not forget the Tigers have did this before and it didn't turn out to bad (Omar Infante) whom is a VERY similar type player as Perez.

Back