Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers Hire A.J. Hinch As New Tigers Manager and New Coaches

FINAL RESULTS FROM YESTERDAY'S MID-SEASON POLL:

What grade would you give Manager A. J. Hinch so far for this season?

• C 39%
  • B 31%
  • D 17%
  • E 7%
  • A 6%

MID-SEASON EVALUATIONS: FINAL RESULTS.
Totally Tigers

Last week, we asked readers to provide feedback on the status of the Detroit Tigers now that the half-way mark of the 2024 season has been reached.
As many of you have been on vacation – or have used this past weekend to recover from too many BBQs and relatives – let’s recap all the results.
Let’s also look for patterns, the bright points and the issues of concern.
Where in each poll did you fall? Were you in the minority or majority of fans for each of the topics? Did your voting show a pattern of being overly-optimistic or overly-pessimistic about this franchise? Or were your votes among the majority of fans?
Did any of the polls surprise you? If so, which one(s) and why?
Which concern has contributed the most this year to the Tigers’ poor performance?
  • Overall lack of MLB-level talent. 57%
  • Poor offense. 29%
  • Disappointing top prospects’ performance. 14%

Which player’s poor performance keeps you awake the most at night?
  • Spencer Torkelson 62%
  • Javier Baez 32%
  • Casey Mize 6%

What has been the biggest surprise for you this year?
  • How little offense is being generated. 68%
  • Struggles of #1 draft picks 12%
  • Performance of Ibanez and Perez 11%
  • Flaherty, Olson and Skubal 9%

Who is the team’s MVP so far this year?
  • Tarik Skubal 83%
  • Riley Greene 14%
  • Kerry Carpenter 3%

What grade would you give Manager A. J. Hinch so far for this season?
  • C 39%
  • B 31%
  • D 17%
  • E 7%
  • A 6%

What grade would you give President of Baseball Operations Scott Harris so far this season?
  • C 42%
  • B 27%
  • D 18%
  • A 7%
  • E 6%

What grade would you give the entire team so far this season?
  • D 60%
  • C 35%
  • E 4%
  • B 1%
  • A 0%

QUANTUM LEAP.
Totally Tigers

A.J. Hinch fielded questions about Jim Leyland when the Hall of Fame manager was feted at Comerica Park last month, and while doing so he brought up how he enjoys discussing, after the fact, in-game moves with the erstwhile skipper. I asked Hinch how that dynamic typically plays out.

“Part of the fraternity of managers and ex-managers is knowing that we have more information [than they do] at the time we make decisions,” he replied. “We have to explain those decisions based on the results. That could be the dilemma last night of sending Tarik back out at 90 pitches. There are pre-scenarios. If I take Tarik out and an implosion happens, the questions are going to be, ‘Why didn’t I send Tarik out?’ You send Tarik out, he gets into trouble, then I take him out… that’s the question I got last night. You send Tarik back out and he punches out three, the stadium erupts, and we come back and win that game, the questions are different.

“You have to sit in this chair to really appreciate the dilemmas that go into decisions that impact the game, that impact the players. The followup conversations are way more fascinating than the questions that I have to answer from [the media]. And the conversations with Tarik go to a whole other level.”

Being a fly on the wall for Hinch’s conversations with Skubal and Leyland alike would be indeed be fascinating.

Fangraphs

When you realize what a terrific manager AJ Hinch is, it should make you mad they wasted 3 years of his time with a terrible roster.

A.J. Hinch is more to the Tigers than a Manager of the Year candidate.
Hinch has worked miracles this season but he’s also the greatest single architect of the Tigers return to playoff baseball.
BYBTB

THE NEW WAY TO PLAY.
Totally Tigers

Wow.
I keep wondering when I’m going to wake up from this wonderful dream. This impossible dream in which the Tigers played most of the season under .500 and then miraculously turned things around, reached .500 in mid-August and then had the best win-loss record since in all of MLB.
All while losing 4 of their 5 starting pitchers, trading away 4 veterans and having their most significant players on the IL.
Back in August, they were given a .2% of reaching the playoffs.

SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

From a .2% chance of making the playoffs in August, the Tigers did it. They even swept the formidable Houston Astros this past week.
The Tigers were not expected to become a competitive team this year. The overall belief was that it would take another 1-2 years for the roster to be revised enough for them to start playing competitive baseball.
Many give a large part of the credit to manager A. J. Hinch who got every player to buy into the plan.
Has your opinion of A. J. changed given the team’s unexpected goal of reaching the playoffs early?

Has your opinion of A. J. Hinch changed this year?

1. No, I've always liked him as the manager.

2. Yes, I thought he was OK but now I like him even more.

3. Yes, I just started liking him this year.

4. No, I've never been thrilled with Hinch.

VOTE

Back