Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. royals Game Thread August 17

I feel like his situation going public may have helped him a bit. Or maybe he realized that helping his team win is a good way to forget about your troubles.

Winning had nothing to do with it. I think the support of teammates and fans helped

1B ump Davidson told a pool reporter he blew the call.
die snatchface..........

Miguel Cabrera: 6th career walk-off HR (1st since August 2012). Tigers: 3rd walk-off win this season (tied for fewest in MLB).

Pena said he didn't believe he did anything to get thrown out, Sounds as if all he did was grumbled about it again a tad after the double with his backed turned and the ump decided he didn't want to hear anything more about it at all, period, and tossed him, so who gets to tos the umps when They act like dicks? Oh I see

Last edited:
Pena said he didn't believe he did anything to get thrown out, Sounds as if all he did was grumbled about it again a tad after the double with his backed turned and the ump decided he didn't want to hear anything more about it at all, period, and tossed him, so who gets to tos the umps when They act like dicks? Oh I see

The other issue I have with him being tossed is the fans have no idea the ump is being shown up, so where's the tolerance on a blown call? Pena wasn't facing the ump. He was looking at the pitcher. IMO the ump needs to let him vent on the blown call.

Not that it matters of course.....but that had to be the shortest home run Miggy has hit this year. I think Kaline had posted something a few games back about him hitting a 342 foot homer and that was his shortest in a year. This one had to only travel "only" about 336 feet.

And of course Leyland understands. Sometimes I want him to lay into the umps. "yeah you were wrong dirt face and almost cost us a game."

He tells them to fuck off while he's out on the field and then he's smart enough to say the nice things in the media and not let it carry over....and not get fined.

Watching the replay and the pitch Cabrera hit out was a very good pitch, if it wasn't a ball it barely caught the high outside corner. That was a good pitch and just about any other player in the league either takes it or at best fouls it off.

The KC manager said after that it was a good pitch and there are about 3 guys in the league who could hit that out and Cabrera is one of them.

And of course Leyland understands. Sometimes I want him to lay into the umps. "yeah you were wrong dirt face and almost cost us a game."

That would be the equivalent of you giving the finger to every cop you see. Sooner or later, more likely sooner, they are going to find a way to make your life difficult.

You don't want to piss guys off and have them hold a grudge against you when you're trying to win ball games. Most fans don't recognize it because they want the gratification, but Leyland is very tactful the way he handles those things, especially with the Joyce/Galarraga game.

He tells them to fuck off while he's out on the field and then he's smart enough to say the nice things in the media and not let it carry over....and not get fined.

Did he actually say F off on the field?

I see it as:
"Hey, Bob - why did I get ejected."
"Sorry, Jim. The wife's been giving me fits."
"Well Darn, Bob. The heck with you."

Did he actually say F off on the field?

I see it as:
"Hey, Bob - why did I get ejected."
"Sorry, Jim. The wife's been giving me fits."
"Well Darn, Bob. The heck with you."

Who knows.. but in the spirit of the board.. PROVE IT or it didn't happen. Total sarcasm, by the way.

He's not completely worthless. Completely worthless would be Inge, Leyland would be somewhere between Miggy and Inge..

That's quite a gap.

Lotta lack of love for old Smokesie on this board...I really haven't paid that much attention to the direction from where it comes.

Then again, sports fans have a tendency to give the managers/head coaches of the teams they root for a whole raff of crap...case in point Lloyd Carr...

Although I've come to see that, if it's true that if Lloyd had wanted to retire before he did...he probably should have...

Whatever.

Anyway...I have no problem with Smokesie.

He seems to have been able to find an amount of success wherever he's been, for whatever reason it's happened...

Baseball is a game of inches, and the best teams are generally only marginally better than the worst teams...

Every game is its own game...

That would be the equivalent of you giving the finger to every cop you see. Sooner or later, more likely sooner, they are going to find a way to make your life difficult.

You don't want to piss guys off and have them hold a grudge against you when you're trying to win ball games. Most fans don't recognize it because they want the gratification, but Leyland is very tactful the way he handles those things, especially with the Joyce/Galarraga game.

To me, this right here is a symbol of whats wrong with MLB umpires. Players and managers shouldnt have to be on tiptoes around them just so the umps dont fuck them over on purpose. They should be allowed to make criticisms if the situation requires it, without the fear of in-game retribution.

We're just lucky the umps at least admitted they fucked up, lots of em just deny they do anything wrong.

That's quite a gap.

Lotta lack of love for old Smokesie on this board...I really haven't paid that much attention to the direction from where it comes.

Then again, sports fans have a tendency to give the managers/head coaches of the teams they root for a whole raff of crap...case in point Lloyd Carr...

Although I've come to see that, if it's true that if Lloyd had wanted to retire before he did...he probably should have...

Whatever.

Anyway...I have no problem with Smokesie.

He seems to have been able to find an amount of success wherever he's been, for whatever reason it's happened...

Baseball is a game of inches, and the best teams are generally only marginally better than the worst teams...

Every game is its own game...

Its just natural. Nothing personal, its really not about Kelly or Dirks playing so much but the fact DD didn't get anyone better.

But I do give him some blame when Coke faces a RHB in a tense moment.

Back