Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Torii Hunter

There are some good options for us to pursue... Hamilton (highly unlikely, but you never know with Mr. I), Hunter, Cabrera, Victorino, Ross, Pagan. I'd be fine with any of them over the garbage (Young, Boesch, Kelly) and AAA/part-time players (Dirks, Garcia, Berry) we used last season. I think Garcia and Castellanos are out corner OFs of the future, but I'd love to get them some more seasoning first.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black Mitch. You basically do this in just about every post, even to the point you call your own brother an idiot because he votes democrat, and different than you.

If you have an opinion on the discussion let's hear it, but save the holier then thou bullshit, because that's all it is, bullshit.

That's not why I call him an idiot.

Last edited:
How bout this line up... Trade Porcello for Quentin

Ajax
Dirks
Miggy
Fielder
VMart
Carlos Quentin
Peralta
Avila
Infante

Ajax
Dirks
Miggy
Fielder
VMart
Carlos Quentin
Peralta
Avila
Infante

In 2012, Prince Fielder lead the AL in hit by pitches with 17. Quentin lead the NL with 17, but in 76 fewer games.

Fielder has 48 HBP over the last 3 years, for an average of 14.9 HBP per 650 PA.

Quentin has 60 HBP over the last 3 years, for an average of 28.9 HBP per 650 PA.

I do not know about anyone else, but I find there is a huge risk with a injury-prone player who average almost 30 HBP per 162 games.

DET HBP Leaders since 2006:

2006 Polanco, Inge 7
2007 Polanco, Inge 11
2008 Inge 8
2009 Inge 17
2010 Raburn 8
2011 Boesch 5
2012 Fielder 17, Berry and D. Young 7

Inge averaged 16.5 HBP per 650 PA from 2007-2009. Since then, he has averaged 4.8 HBP per 650 PA (2010-2012).

From 1997-1999 (probably his best 3 seasons), Damion Easley was hit 51 times, for an average of 19.9 HBP per 650 PA. The next 3 years he average 16.8 HBP per 650 PA, down to 13.1 HBP per 650 PA the following 3 seasons.

So, for players who get hit a lot, there is a noticeable regression in their HBP that also coincide with their overall stat regression. Maybe some of this is do to where they stand in the batter's box. Or maybe it is where they are pitched. In either case, Quentin gets hit by far the most of any Major Leaguer. It is part of his game. If he changes, then expect stat regression. Until then, he is one pitch away from another DL stint.

In 2012, Prince Fielder lead the AL in hit by pitches with 17. Quentin lead the NL with 17, but in 76 fewer games.

Fielder has 48 HBP over the last 3 years, for an average of 14.9 HBP per 650 PA.

Quentin has 60 HBP over the last 3 years, for an average of 28.9 HBP per 650 PA.

I do not know about anyone else, but I find there is a huge risk with a injury-prone player who average almost 30 HBP per 162 games.

DET HBP Leaders since 2006:

2006 Polanco, Inge 7
2007 Polanco, Inge 11
2008 Inge 8
2009 Inge 17
2010 Raburn 8
2011 Boesch 5
2012 Fielder 17, Berry and D. Young 7

Inge averaged 16.5 HBP per 650 PA from 2007-2009. Since then, he has averaged 4.8 HBP per 650 PA (2010-2012).

From 1997-1999 (probably his best 3 seasons), Damion Easley was hit 51 times, for an average of 19.9 HBP per 650 PA. The next 3 years he average 16.8 HBP per 650 PA, down to 13.1 HBP per 650 PA the following 3 seasons.

So, for players who get hit a lot, there is a noticeable regression in their HBP that also coincide with their overall stat regression. Maybe some of this is do to where they stand in the batter's box. Or maybe it is where they are pitched. In either case, Quentin gets hit by far the most of any Major Leaguer. It is part of his game. If he changes, then expect stat regression. Until then, he is one pitch away from another DL stint.

When throwing to Inge 2010-2012.

"I'm going inside coach" - Pitcher

"Its Inge, just toss it over the plate, underhand it if you have too" - All coaches..

Ajax
Dirks
Miggy
Fielder
VMart
Carlos Quentin
Peralta
Avila
Infante

Didn't SD lock up Quentin? He's a hometown guy and I know both sides were gushing about one another.

I just read that Hunter might be interested in the Red Sox and a reunion with Big Papi. They are supposedly very interested in him too. He'd be a nice fit there, and I could definitely see them making a push to sign him.

All valid points on Quentin. I just have a hunch that DD would try and go after him again if he signed Sanchez. I never said I wanted him, just a hunch. If I had my choice and was limited in the amount of money, Ryan Ludwick or Cody Ross. Hunter would be great but I guess I just don't see him coming here. Porcello should be able to help land us a nice player.

id be ok with swisher if hunter sigbs elsewhere. or even if he does. swisher is a solid player.

All valid points on Quentin. I just have a hunch that DD would try and go after him again if he signed Sanchez. I never said I wanted him, just a hunch. If I had my choice and was limited in the amount of money, Ryan Ludwick or Cody Ross. Hunter would be great but I guess I just don't see him coming here. Porcello should be able to help land us a nice player.

I think DD learned his lesson with Boesch and Young last year.

only thing i remembered about swisher is that the yanks gave him a qualifying offer, so we'd lose our draft pick (again) if we signed him.

I just don't see the Red Sox very good. Hunter would be awesome here. Top of the lineup:

AJ, Hunter, Miggy, Prince and Vmart. Or move VMart up and the big guys 4 & 5.

Ludwick and/or Ross are only marginally better than D. Young and/or Boesch. I certainly hope DD does not go after either one.

Ludwick and/or Ross are only marginally better than D. Young and/or Boesch. I certainly hope DD does not go after either one.

As far as Ludwick, the reason I like him is that he carried the Reds offensively with Votto out. Ross and Ludwick are better than either one defensively. I am also taking salary into consideration. At the end of the day, considering we sign Sanchez, we may be better off trading Porcello in order to get value. Who knows, we may end up signing a high priced closer like Soriano and the thought of adding a dynamic LF may be a moot point.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/tigers-rangers-interested-in-torii-hunter.html

12:52pm: The timeframe for a decision is about two weeks, Mark Saxon of ESPNLosAngeles.com reports. The Tigers have been most aggressive in their pursuit of Hunter and seem most likely to offer a two-year contract. The Yankees have also shown serious interest.

11:19am: The Tigers and Rangers are interested in free agent outfielder Torii Hunter, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports. Hunter said on MLB Network this morning that he expects to sign quickly.

The Tigers are “very interested” in Hunter, Knobler writes. They see him as a near-perfect fit for their team, on and off of the field. Detroit has prioritized corner outfield help this winter. The Rangers also have interest in Hunter, who lives in Texas, relatively close to Rangers Ballpark.

The market for Hunter seems strong, with the Red Sox, Dodgers and Yankees also interested. Knobler suggests the Braves and Phillies are also possible fits. The Angels did not make Hunter a qualifying offer, which means he’s not linked to draft pick compensation. Tim Dierkes ranked Hunter 20th among the top 50 free agents available.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/...sted-in-torii-hunter.html#6lbRO2kuwHVgvaLP.99

Back