Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Torii Hunter

If Tigers got Hunter, he'd probably bat 2nd, giving them top 5 of Jackson, Hunter, Cabrera, Fielder, Victor Martinez.

He says he has all the money he needs, he wants a World Series ring.
Tigers looking better than the rangers even before losing hamilton and napoli?

So if he still signs with them, he's full of shit.

if he signs with the Tigers he fills the 2 spot and RF well even as an older player and compared to borscht.

Danny Knobler likes this; Jackson, VMart, Hunter, Cabrera, Fielder. I don't think it happens, Prince at 23MM in the 5th spot would be losing some ab's.

Last edited:
"Detroit Tigers front runners for Torii Hunter according to source"

from Jim Bowden, so take that with a heaping spoonful of salt.

Hunter makes so much sense here, it's ridiculous. Give Hunter two years, let Castellanos and Garcia develop more. Those two could come up and spend time playing in the bigs if they deserve to, maybe in a platoon role like Garcia did late this year, and maybe next year one takes a fulltime job and the other is starting to platoon and takes over fulltime in 2014. This would allow us some trade flexibility with a guys like Dirks, Boesch, and Berry and throw ins on a larger deal (with say Porcello) too. Heck, maybe we could spin Porcello, Dirks, Peralta, and a young reliever for our SS of the future.

Getting Hunter would stop the Upton nonsense. He is also a solid clubhouse guy unlike Upton. As I said when I started this thread I have always been a huge Hunter fan and am excited that I may actually have a chance to cheer for him. He would improve our defense in the outfield and should hit well with Miggy behind him.

If we do close the deal all we would need is maybe another outfielder. A SP and I would love a closer with experience like Soriano.

Hopefully only a one year deal for Hunter if they sign him.

He's getting old, and last year his K% rose, his BB% fell, and his ISO fell.

We shouldn't count on him being carried by a ridiculous BABIP again.

i can live without an experienced closer, its overrated imo. my gut tells me that rondon is gonna win the job in spring training and do a good job.

Hopefully only a one year deal for Hunter if they sign him.

He's getting old, and last year his K% rose, his BB% fell, and his ISO fell.

We shouldn't count on him being carried by a ridiculous BABIP again.

true, but a one-year deal likely wont get him. i could tolerate a 2 year deal because i dont think either garcia or castellanos will be ready by next year anyways and even if he declines hunter is still better than our other internal options.

I have a feeling he could end up in Texas. He lives right near the park, I believe, and with them likely losing Hamilton, he could be an easy short term replacement.

I dont know if he would sign in Texas. Hunter has said he wants a ring. If the Rangers lose Hamilton their chances of even making the playoffs go down. Detroit is ready to win now. Hunter would be an amazing addition. He would not be filling in for someone they lost. He also has a lot of respect for AJax. I really hope they get this deal done. It makes to much sense not to for both sides. This started as a pipe dream signing for me but now its close. Come one Mr. I and DD pay the man.

http://tigers.scout.com/2/1239438.html
Is Torii Hunter the Right OF for the Tigers?
from TigsTown

I think sometimes baseball has so many ways to look at numbers you can spin them any way you want to prove your point. I think the writer of this article wanted to say Torii wasnt the answer so he spun the numbers to try and prove it. Just like the numbers of people who have said that Trout should be MVP over Miggy and use numbers to back them up. We all know Miggy is the best he won the triple crown.

I think sometimes baseball has so many ways to look at numbers you can spin them any way you want to prove your point. I think the writer of this article wanted to say Torii wasnt the answer so he spun the numbers to try and prove it. Just like the numbers of people who have said that Trout should be MVP over Miggy and use numbers to back them up. We all know Miggy is the best he won the triple crown.

That could be wheels. TigsTown is the top site for Tigers minor leaguers, but they know all the players.
I think we have to understand that, Hunter while having a very good year in 2012, as well as a solid career all around, can't expect more and at the age, the production drop off is close. Regression to the norm from his higher than normal babip.
What I liked in the story was the similar comps/ops to Delmon, but with much better defense and more walks. iirc, Career .298 batting in the 2 spot.
Short contract 1 to 2 years tops, gives Tigers time for Nick and Avi.

the article talks regression to the mean when discussing his babip and ba, but then assumes his walk rate will not go back up to the ~9.5% it was for the last 3 years before last (or at least closer to his career rate) and that his K rate won't go back down to normal levels either. if his ba and babip regress to norms, then it should be assumed that his K and BB rates should too. no reason to think that 2012 was nothing more than an aberration for all of those.

the power dropoff is more concerning, but as long as he still hits ~15-20 homers and a good number of doubles, im ok with it because of his good walk rate and defense.

2 years for not a ton would be fine.

Last edited:
the article talks regression to the mean when discussing his babip and ba, but then assumes his walk rate will not go back up to the ~9.5% it was for the last 3 years before last (or at least closer to his career rate) and that his K rate won't go back down to normal levels either. if his ba and babip regress to norms, then it should be assumed that his K and BB rates should too. no reason to think that 2012 was nothing more than an aberration for all of those.

the power dropoff is more concerning, but as long as he still hits ~15-20 homers and a good number of doubles, im ok with it because of his good walk rate and defense.

2 years for not a ton would be fine.

He's old, he's at an age where you would expect his bb and k rates to go in the wrong direction, and his babip would head in the wrong direction along with those rates because those rates basically entirely determine (along with his hitter profile which has been established over many years) what his expected ba will be.

He's an ok option but he's certainly not the best option. His defense, while superior to Delmon's (everyone's is) is also nothing to write home about. There are better players available so hopefully they don't overpay for him on a short deal.

Man, our 1-5 could look downright scary... Jackson, Hunter, Cabrera, Fielder, VMart, Peralta, Avila, Dirks, Infante. If we could resign Sanchez and maybe spin Ricky and others for a SS upgrade, we'd be golden.

He's old, he's at an age where you would expect his bb and k rates to go in the wrong direction, and his babip would head in the wrong direction along with those rates because those rates basically entirely determine (along with his hitter profile which has been established over many years) what his expected ba will be.

He's an ok option but he's certainly not the best option. His defense, while superior to Delmon's (everyone's is) is also nothing to write home about. There are better players available so hopefully they don't overpay for him on a short deal.
honestly i think you're underrating his defense, he's still very good. if we end up getting delmon with good/great defense and better plate discipline for 2 years, im totally ok with that.

and imo the only options better than him (swisher, etc) would all cost a draft pick whereas hunter would not. given the state of our farm system and the fact that we've given up our first round pick the last several years, id rather not give up our first round pick again if we dont have to.

Back