Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Torii Hunter

He's old, he's at an age where you would expect his bb and k rates to go in the wrong direction, and his babip would head in the wrong direction along with those rates because those rates basically entirely determine (along with his hitter profile which has been established over many years) what his expected ba will be.

He's an ok option but he's certainly not the best option. His defense, while superior to Delmon's (everyone's is) is also nothing to write home about. There are better players available so hopefully they don't overpay for him on a short deal.

Such as?

Outside of Hamilton only Swisher comes close I think.

And I think anyone else we would either have to give up a draft pick or players. We can get Hunter and not give up a damn thing all we have to do is pay him.

Linear Weights (Runs Created/650 PA + UZR/150)

Hamilton 112.98
Swisher 102.73
Hunter 95.88
Victorino 94.14
Bourn 92.34
Suzuki 86.26

AVG AL RF 85.44

Pagan 84.83
BJ Upton 83.09
J. Upton 83.04

honestly i think you're underrating his defense, he's still very good. if we end up getting delmon with good/great defense and better plate discipline for 2 years, im totally ok with that.

and imo the only options better than him (swisher, etc) would all cost a draft pick whereas hunter would not. given the state of our farm system and the fact that we've given up our first round pick the last several years, id rather not give up our first round pick again if we dont have to.

He was - in UZR every year as an Angel until this past season. Really, he's an average corner outfielder at this point. Average is still vastly superior to Delmon Young, but it's still average. I think best case scenario he's about as productive as Johnny Damon was when he was here. Regressing his WAR from this year, you're really talking about a 2-2.5 WAR player. That's certainly ok but I wouldn't go crazy hoping for him either.

As for better players. Certainly Swisher and Hamilton. I would say Melky Cabrera and BJ Upton as well. Players I place at around the same level but not necessarily better would be a guy like Victorino and Pagan.

Frankly, I don't know why everybody wants Hunter but I have heard not a peep about potentially signing Victorino.

Last edited:
He was - in UZR every year as an Angel until this past season. Really, he's an average corner outfielder at this point. Average is still vastly superior to Delmon Young, but it's still average. I think best case scenario he's about as productive as Johnny Damon was when he was here. Regressing his WAR from this year, you're really talking about a 2-2.5 WAR player. That's certainly ok but I wouldn't go crazy hoping for him either.

As for better players. Certainly Swisher and Hamilton. I would say Melky Cabrera and BJ Upton as well. Players I place at around the same level but not necessarily better would be a guy like Victorino and Pagan.

Frankly, I don't know why everybody wants Hunter but I have heard not a peep about potentially signing Victorino.

Hunter has a UZR/150 of 6.7 in RF over the last 3 years. He ranks 6th in MLB over that period for RFer (29 with minimum of 1500 Innings Played). Boesch has -14.7 over than period, Quentin has -18.1. There are 15 players with negative numbers.

Last 3 years

DET RF = -8.9 UZR/150
DET LF = 1.0 UZR/150
DET CF = 5.2 UZR/150

Hunter would be about 15 runs improvement on defense compared to who has played there the last 3 years.

AVG AL RF Last 3 years

.269 BAVG .337 OBP .433 SLG .770 OPS 85.44 RC/650

Hunter just needs to be league average and he is a huge upgrade to what we have had. He would just cost salary, no picks and we wouldn't have to trade for him.

Swisher would be a better option, but he will cost picks. We need to stay away from Melky Cabrera (-9.7 UZR/150 last 3 years). I wouldn't be opposed to Victorino or even Bourn.

Hunter has a UZR/150 of 6.7 in RF over the last 3 years. He ranks 6th in MLB over that period for RFer (29 with minimum of 1500 Innings Played). Boesch has -14.7 over than period, Quentin has -18.1. There are 15 players with negative numbers.

Last 3 years

DET RF = -8.9 UZR/150
DET LF = 1.0 UZR/150
DET CF = 5.2 UZR/150

Hunter would be about 15 runs improvement on defense compared to who has played there the last 3 years.

AVG AL RF Last 3 years

.269 BAVG .337 OBP .433 SLG .770 OPS 85.44 RC/650

Hunter just needs to be league average and he is a huge upgrade to what we have had. He would just cost salary, no picks and we wouldn't have to trade for him.

Swisher would be a better option, but he will cost picks. We need to stay away from Melky Cabrera (-9.7 UZR/150 last 3 years). I wouldn't be opposed to Victorino or even Bourn.

I want whoever will cost the lowest amount of that group. That almost definitely won't be Swisher. It certainly could be Victorino considering how much more attention Hunter appears to be getting. I think the differences between that group of players is small enough to prefer the best contract.

That all said I'd be perfectly happy with Hunter on a one or two year deal.

id be ok with it if we got BOTH hunter and victorino. im not comfortable with a platoon for the other spot because we dont have an option for the RH platoon role.

id be ok with it if we got BOTH hunter and victorino. im not comfortable with a platoon for the other spot because we dont have an option for the RH platoon role.

I could see us landing Hunter and one of Victorino/Melky/Pagan/etc. if they get passed over.

Crasnick: Torii Hunter visited Tigers today. Left Detroit with no deal and no official offer, source says.?

I want whoever will cost the lowest amount of that group.That almost definitely won't be Swisher. It certainly could be Victorino considering how much more attention Hunter appears to be getting. I think the differences between that group of players is small enough to prefer the best contract.

That all said I'd be perfectly happy with Hunter on a one or two year deal.

Why, you're not paying it?

Cody Ross smashes Lefty's... He could be a good back-up plan maybe if Hunter pick the Rangers.

Last edited:
Two years 26M, same as the Beltran deal last year.

If tigers would've just signed beltran last year like I said, then we'd have a younger player with better production entering his last year. Oh well. Prob would have won the division a lot easier since Boesch would have turned into 4th OF, Raburn would've gotten the boot sooner, and Delmon Young would have never seen the light of day in the OF. Hindsight 20/20 though.

Back