Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Torii Hunter

Kinda hard to put Vmart in front of Miggy and Fielder. He is so slow, that teams could still just bypass our top guys.

AJax and Hunter have to be 1 & 2 they both hit a good average and have speed to score from 2B on a single. You put any of the other three at that #2 spot and if they are on 2B and we hit a single we dont score and have runners on 1st and 3rd.

Here's what I'd do.
1. AJ
2. Cabrera
3. Hunter
4. Martinez
5. Fielder

Shoot away.

wow...he was my pipe dream. guess some pipe dreams do come true. great signing. I like hunter in the 2 hole n all....but....i almost wouldnt mind a lineup more like:

AJ
Infante
Cabby
Fielder
Vmart
Hunter
Peralta
Dirks
Avila

or bat dirks 2nd and hunter 6th to keep the r/l/r/l/s/l thing going in the lineup. That lineup would kill righties and would be pretty decent against lefties.

That's what i said but sarcastically. That would just be dumb.

What's wrong with andy dirks batting 2nd. Guy does have a career OBP higher than hunter's...
Dirks is a slightly better version of Boesch, thats why. Not abysmal on defense but still not good or great, swings at everything, barely walks, etc. Hunter is the better hitter and player by far, Dirks is at most a platoon player who needs to hit no higher than 6 and should not start every day.

wow...he was my pipe dream. guess some pipe dreams do come true. great signing. I like hunter in the 2 hole n all....but....i almost wouldnt mind a lineup more like:

AJ
Infante
Cabby
Fielder
Vmart
Hunter
Peralta
Dirks
Avila

I would rather have Hunter hit second.

Dirks is a slightly better version of Boesch, thats why. Not abysmal on defense but still not good or great, swings at everything, barely walks, etc. Hunter is the better hitter and player by far, Dirks is at most a platoon player who needs to hit no higher than 6 and should not start every day.

Hunter and Dirks pretty much have the same walk rate...

I'd swap Cabrera and Fielder, but I'm not drastically opposed to your thinking either.

Well I'm not going to bring up this age old argument again, but I believe we would be more successful with Cabrera 4th. We would score more runs, because he would drive more in, with better hitters in front of him, rather than behind him.

He may indeed be penciled in, but Dirks is NOT a full-time player. If we do have him in LF, we absolutely need a platoon partner...and it better not be Avisail. He needs more time in the minors playing full time, he's not ready for the majors yet.

Options I would prefer:
1) Sign another full-time OF for cheap-ish, someone like Victorino, Pagan, or even...Melky Cabrera.
2) Trade for another OF.
3) Sign a RH platoon partner for Dirks, someone like Cody Ross or Scott Hairston.

Dirks by himself or Dirks + Garcia are unacceptable options IMO.

You brought up Melky and I wonder what the going rate will be for him. Must be a lot cheaper considering he is a cheater. Wouldn't care though if he were in a Tiger uniform, as long as he doesn't get caught again.

if by the same you mean Dirks' 5.9% walk rate for his career (which is about a season's worth of ABs) and Hunter's 7.3% walk rate with 3 of his last 4 years being over 9%, then yes they totally have the same walk rate.

You brought up Melky and I wonder what the going rate will be for him. Must be a lot cheaper considering he is a cheater. Wouldn't care though if he were in a Tiger uniform, as long as he doesn't get caught again.

im guessing 1 year and $6-8 million will be what he gets. im torn, because he could be a decent grab at that price, but im really wary not only that he will totally fall off a cliff without the drugs but also because of all the PED baggage he has now.

of the cheaper remaining options, Victorino would be my preference. If we went for a platoon, then Hairston. Someone is going to WAY overpay Ross based on his fluky season with Boston this year, and it had better not be us. He'd be a good platoon guy because he crushes lefties, but he's definitely not a full-time player.

Last 3 years away

Hunter 10.93 PA/BB

AVG AL RF 12.31 PA/BB

Jackson 12.71 PA/BB

AVG AL LF 13.33 PA/BB

Boesch 16.79 PA/BB

Dirks 17.76 PA/BB

D. Young 23.76 PA/BB

"Hunter and Dirks pretty much have the same walk rate.." = Delmon and Dirks pretty much have the same walk rate.

Sweet. Now we just need another corner OF and a starter, and maybe a SS if we can find an available one on the trade market.

Would Coco Crisp be a good corner outfielder? I get so sick of him playing against the Tigers, sort of like Torii Hunter.

Back