Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Where the heck is winter?

MAIZEandBLUE09

I thunderstormed last night....in the middle of January - in Michigan? That's crazy. I woke up to thunder and lightning and, once again, all of the snow is gone. I'd like to go skiing once this year but it's looking less and less likely as the winter progresses. It's going to be 50 today "fergodsake". There's really only 1 more month of the true winter weather left, or at least the potential weather, before it starts warming up for spring.

Heck, I haven't even been able to make an ice rink on our lake yet....it still has yet to freeze over.

I don't know it just does.

You'd rather drive a honda than a 4wheel drive vehicle in michigan. You don't understand why someone would hunt. You'd rather ski than snowboard.

Do you at least use your lake to play hockey on

Maize&Cheese304 said:
I don't know it just does.

You'd rather drive a honda than a 4wheel drive vehicle in michigan. You don't understand why someone would hunt. You'd rather ski than snowboard.

Do you at least use your lake to play hockey on

I've never tried snowboarding. I learned to ski first, like most people, got skis in my teens and have never had the inclination to spend another $800+ on a snowboard just to try it. It's the same concept, go up a hill - slide down it in a controlled manner. plus, I don't like that you have to pop off your binding every time you go up a lift on a snowboard.

And yes - usually I make a little hockey rink on the lake. But this year it isn't even close to freezing over.

And so far there's never been a point where I couldn't drive somewhere because of snow. So I'm not sure what a 4 wheel drive car would do that my civic couldn't in the snow on regular roads. What I really laugh about is the people who flip their 4 wheel drive SUV's in the ditch because they think that just because their car can drive easier in the snow that it makes it stop easier in the snow as well. People who drive smaller cars are usually more careful drivers when driving in snow.

Why ski when you could take a sled? Nice 600 Arctic Cat blowing powder everywhere. Sound fun.

Im with you MB09 it sucks winter has never showed up, I am still hunting. With lots of snow on the ground, it gets a lot easier.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Skiing seems so preppy and snobby. I couldn't see myself doing it.

Well if we're going for stereotypes, snowboarders are usually just skater punks in the snow which has always turned me off from switching.

Not to mention snowboarders just hang around the half pipe and rarely go down the larger hills - which I like to do and I don't like to go down the half pipe and weird obstacles.

lostleader said:
Why ski when you could take a sled? Nice 600 Arctic Cat blowing powder everywhere. Sound fun.

Im with you MB09 it sucks winter has never showed up, I am still hunting. With lots of snow on the ground, it gets a lot easier.

I think you would kill yourself sledding down some of the skiing hills around here - especially the ones around Boyne.

lostleader said:

Before I moved to Florida I had an 02 ZR 800 and when I was 12 my dad surprised me with a 2000 440 snopro for Christmas. I miss riding but as I remember winter was a joke. It was pointless trying to get to the u.p. when you get a good snow fall once or twice a year. Everyone else is there and the trails are beat to piss.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Maize&Cheese304 said:
Snowboarding just looks like more fun

well, there's certainly a better chance of getting injured snowboarding.

Doesn't shock me you'd say something like this.

Its like picking soccer over rugby.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
well, there's certainly a better chance of getting injured snowboarding.

Doesn't shock me you'd say something like this.

Its like picking soccer over rugby.

not really, you can do everything on skis that you can do on a snowboard but with a snowboard both of your feet are locked into position and you're falling on your face or on your butt if you crash. On skis you're falling to one of your sides. The potential for injury is just greater on a snowboard....it's also harder to do. Which is why most people learn to ski first.

I like to ski.

I've never tried snowboarding, so I can't comment on it.

I've been snowboarding and have never fell on my face. Id rather fall on my butt than to my sides.

anyways, looks like it's supposed to freeze again tonight here in the windy city.

but all week long, the highs are over 32F and it'll be sunny.

I'm not complaining.

Back