Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Where the heck is winter?

This weather is messed up. I've been waiting to go ice fishing for a month now. We normally go on Higgins Lake because we have a couple houses up there but the lake is too deep and the weather hasn't been right to get the solid 8 inches of ice you need.

I bought a new shanty and everything back in December...just waiting to use it...

I just went skiiing last weekend up at Boyne. Had a great time.

I think all the winter sports are great. We went cross country skiiing and had a great time. I usually go downhill, but neither of us wanted to do that this year. We went snowtubing. That was really fun. Sounds like something for the kids, but my wife and I had a blast. We tried snowboarding. Obviously, you don't need to spend $800 dollars to try snowboarding. Only a complete idiot would say something like that. We paid $25 each for the rental and $15 each for a 2 hour lesson. Obviously, you wouldn't NEED the lesson if you wanted to just try it out, but that is the way we chose to go, so a couple could just try snowboarding for about $50. We both had a great time snowboarding, but it is very difficult. I found it a lot more difficult than skiiing. I was starting to get the hang of it after 2 hours, though. Thing is, i don't remember having any trouble at all picking up skiiing. I put some on and away I went. We had a great time.

Thing is, in Michigan, you still have to drive if you want to do any of this stuff. Very rarely is the winter ever severe enough to be able to do these winter sports regularly in lower Michigan. There used to be a time where we had snow all year, but now it just never seems to happen. A snowmobile would be only something I would invest in if I lived north of Gaylord. Sure, you can drive up to the UP two or 3 times a year, but is that really worth the thousands of dollars it costs to get a big truck, big trailer, and all the other equipment you need? I don't think so. Looks like a lot of fun, though.

it was supposed to be a pretty severe winter. does anyone remember that report from the fall?

last year we had a lot of snow pretty consistently; this year has been pretty mild so far. two decent sized snowfalls, both of which melted in a week. of course, that massive blizzard last year hit in early February.

I actually don't mind bad weather now. I mind it a lot more in March & April, when it's supposed to be getting nice, you want to put away all your cold weather stuff, yet it's still freezing and wet all the time.

Hungry said:
I just went skiiing last weekend up at Boyne. Had a great time.

I think all the winter sports are great. We went cross country skiiing and had a great time. I usually go downhill, but neither of us wanted to do that this year. We went snowtubing. That was really fun. Sounds like something for the kids, but my wife and I had a blast. We tried snowboarding. Obviously, you don't need to spend $800 dollars to try snowboarding. Only a complete idiot would say something like that. We paid $25 each for the rental and $15 each for a 2 hour lesson. Obviously, you wouldn't NEED the lesson if you wanted to just try it out, but that is the way we chose to go, so a couple could just try snowboarding for about $50. We both had a great time snowboarding, but it is very difficult. I found it a lot more difficult than skiiing. I was starting to get the hang of it after 2 hours, though. Thing is, i don't remember having any trouble at all picking up skiiing. I put some on and away I went. We had a great time.

Thing is, in Michigan, you still have to drive if you want to do any of this stuff. Very rarely is the winter ever severe enough to be able to do these winter sports regularly in lower Michigan. There used to be a time where we had snow all year, but now it just never seems to happen. A snowmobile would be only something I would invest in if I lived north of Gaylord. Sure, you can drive up to the UP two or 3 times a year, but is that really worth the thousands of dollars it costs to get a big truck, big trailer, and all the other equipment you need? I don't think so. Looks like a lot of fun, though.

I said $800 to buy a snowboard to try it - but you're right, you could rent them. Either way - I could never justify renting equipment when I already had skis. The point of buying skis was so that I didn't have to pay for rentals every time.

There are a few places around here with decent hills, Mt. Brighton is by far the worst of them all. Usually by Mid-January there's enough natural snow at all the places to ski the entire mountain...but this year there's hardly enough man made snow to go, so I just haven't gone. Boyne has just gotten so expensive lately. It's like $70 for a day pass now days. It used to be, when I was a teenager, somewhere around like $40.

been more snowfall so far this year in the south than in nyc. had 1st accumulation just this weekend. better chance skiing on water than snow! lol

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

There are a few places around here with decent hills, Mt. Brighton is by far the worst of them all. Usually by Mid-January there's enough natural snow at all the places to ski the entire mountain...but this year there's hardly enough man made snow to go, so I just haven't gone. Boyne has just gotten so expensive lately. It's like $70 for a day pass now days. It used to be, when I was a teenager, somewhere around like $40.

I always hated Pine Knob. Mt. Holly was the best of the Detroit-area garbage hills in my opinion. I just looked at their site, and lift tickets aren't that much worse than they were back in the day. around $30 for a day or night pass, $45 all day.

what really sucks is that you spend most of your time there standing in lift lines. and I remember people being huge assholes about stuff too.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Maize&Cheese304 said:
Skiing seems so preppy and snobby. I couldn't see myself doing it.

Well if we're going for stereotypes, snowboarders are usually just skater punks in the snow which has always turned me off from switching.

Not to mention snowboarders just hang around the half pipe and rarely go down the larger hills - which I like to do and I don't like to go down the half pipe and weird obstacles.

That's as asinine and ignorant a post as you've ever made.

You couldn't keep up with me for 2 seconds on the hill and I think the reason you'd never try snowboarding is because you're a big pussy.

TheVictors03 said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Well if we're going for stereotypes, snowboarders are usually just skater punks in the snow which has always turned me off from switching.

Not to mention snowboarders just hang around the half pipe and rarely go down the larger hills - which I like to do and I don't like to go down the half pipe and weird obstacles.

You couldn't keep up with me for 2 seconds on the hill and I think the reason you'd never try snowboarding is because you're a big pussy.

Really, of all the posts I've made - THAT is as bad as the worst? I was only stereotyping snowboarders because he just stereotypes skiers. I was only doing so to prove a point that not all people who do the sport fit into one mold, so in a way I agree with you. My cousin snowboards and we go together. He keeps up just fine, but he's one of the few snowboarders outside of the terrain park.

Like I said, I haven't tried snowboarding because I've never seen the point in switching.

What's all this complaining about winter? I'm still playing hockey...

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
TheVictors03 said:

Really, of all the posts I've made - THAT is as bad as the worst? I was only stereotyping snowboarders because he just stereotypes skiers. I was only doing so to prove a point that not all people who do the sport fit into one mold, so in a way I agree with you. My cousin snowboards and we go together. He keeps up just fine, but he's one of the few snowboarders outside of the terrain park.

Like I said, I haven't tried snowboarding because I've never seen the point in switching.

snowboarding has that dooshy red-haired kid who won all those olympic medals.

skiiing has... Mitt Romney types... i.e. JOB CREATORS!!!!!

Skiing wins.

skiing also has way better movies, like "Aspen Extreme."

Nobody ever made a classic movie about snowboarding.

No. You're wrong.

During my trip at Boyne last weekend, I noticed that there were about equal numbers of skiiers and snowboarders all over the hills.

Have to go to the 3 northern Canada territories to get a taste of "real" winter weather in the Yukon, NWT,and Nunavut.

Even the "southern" Canadian provinces of Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and northern Ontario have been unusually mild so far, which is why no sub or near-zero "Alberta Clippers" have made their way into the Midwest. When the forecast calls for a high of 37 to 41 degrees ABOVE zero in Edmonton Alberta, over the next couple of days in late January, when it should be normally ~37 below zero for a overnight low, I don't expect to see it get very cold for very long anywhere in MI anytime soon...

Could go travel to the Yukon to go skiing in the Richardson or Oglivie Mountains, but its just a little windy and kinda "brisk" according to their weather forecast this week...lol.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?yt-4&unit=i

I don't think a snowboard is 800 dollars.

Shaun white seems like a pretty sweet dude.

And johnny tsunami is way better than any skiing movie..haha

But it is weird how some people find it easier to do one. I've always heard snowboarding was easier but I guess it just depends on the person

Maize&Cheese304 said:
But it is weird how some people find it easier to do one. I've always heard snowboarding was easier but I guess it just depends on the person

Heck no, skiing is much easier - even the best skiers flop all the way down a mountain their first time snowboarding but if you reversed that...snowboarders wouldn't have as much of a problem switching to skiing.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
I don't think a snowboard is 800 dollars.

Shaun white seems like a pretty sweet dude.

And johnny tsunami is way better than any skiing movie..haha

Once you buy the board, bindings and boots it will be at or above $800 if you get a decent set. The same goes with skis....unless you go to one of those ski swap events somewhere where you can get used ones.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
MichChamp02 said:
skiing also has way better movies, like "Aspen Extreme."

Nobody ever made a classic movie about snowboarding.

No. You're wrong.

outcold

MB09 would be the bartender or this guy.

fullsize_14.jpg

Back