Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Where the heck is winter?

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Look it up and you'll see people saying that snowboarding was easier

I tried snowboarding once... I couldn't make it up the bunny hill without falling on my ass. After 2 hours I gave up and went back to skiing.

I forget what the short bladed ski's are called. Those ones are fun, and I can actually do shit on them, lol.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Look it up and you'll see people saying that snowboarding was easier

Well, I'm not sure where to "look it up" given I'm not sure this is really a factual based discussion.

I did find this interesting site, though:
http://www.ski-injury.com/specific-sports/snowboard-injuries

"In terms of injury rates, most ski physicians agree that boarding carries a slightly higher risk of injury than alpine skiing - between 3-6 injuries per thousand boarder days (as compared to 2-3 per thousand days for alpine skiing injuries). "

"Of concern is the fact that injured snowboarders are twice as likely (34% vs 17%) to sustain a fracture compared to skiers. Most of these broken bones involve the wrist joint."

Back to the "ease" though - like I said....give a good snowboarder who's never being skiing a pair of skis and a skier who's never been snowboarding a snowboard and I'll bet anything the snowboarder makes it all the way down the hill on the first try without falling where as the skier falls at least a couple of times...if not more. Skiing is a more natural movement. You have control of both legs, you're going forward and you have polls to balance.

I always got the sense that it was easier to go down the hill on skis, but harder to do jumps, tricks, etc. being that you have to coordinate two limbs + poles in the air, and when landing. I know if you don't hit a jump evenly and get one ski thrown off-line, you're pretty much screwed.

whereas, with a board, you keep your balance, and keep the board pointed with your momentum, and landing is probably a bit easier.

I think most people have ice-skated and roller-bladed, and going from their to being on skis isn't much of a change. fewer people skate board... the wheeled method analogous to snowboarding.

Because people get hurt its not easy to do?

Just google "which is easier, snowboarding or skiing". You'll find multiple opinions that aren't the same.

I'm sorry you're scared to get hurt.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Because people get hurt its not easy to do?

Just google "". You'll find multiple opinions that aren't the same.

I'm sorry you're scared to get hurt.

I did that, and unscientifically you can count and see the majority of people out there think Skiing is the easier one to learn. Take this Yahoo questions post:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061220133522AAVgULT

Of the 12 people who answered 9 of them said skiing was the easier one to pick up. Some qualified that and said stuff like "it's harder to do tricks" or "it's harder to master than snowboarding" but for the most part were in agreement that skiing was easier to learn for a beginner.

Obviously there's always going to be someone who thinks otherwise but I think the majority of people out there think skiing is the easier one to learn; which is why most kids start off skiing.

I am totally fine with this. The faster winter goes bye bye, the happier this state becomes. People are bastards in the winter.

dubbsco said:
I am totally fine with this. The faster winter goes bye bye, the happier this state becomes. People are bastards in the winter.

This weather doesn't do me any good though. It's just raining, wet and still too cold to really do anything. At least in the snow you can go do stuff.

My phone says its 60 here. Damn near perfect.

And I read other yahoo answers where the majority said snowboarding was easier for them.

Who on this board has ever landed a backside 360 stalefish?

How about a 540 Rodeo flip!?

What about a simple switch, backside 180?!

And how about a frontside, indy-grab, shifty to blunt???

I already know the answer ...and its not on Wikipedia.

You either can or cannot and it really doesn't matter whether your p-tex is on one plank or two.
Skiing is just like rollerblading .... Put your boots on, step into your bindings and walk ....
Congratulations!!!!! You're now skiing!!!!!

LOL, skiing is nothing like rollerblading. I love to ski and I think both can be hard if you dont do it often.

You're right ....rollerblading is completely ...skiing is just mostly gay.

saw a commercial during the Michigan game yesterday, some store near me has snowboards for $150...

"I'd have to spend $800 just to try it"

what a goof! Dude works for the University of Michigan and is a tightwad.

Hungry said:
saw a commercial during the Michigan game yesterday, some store near me has snowboards for $150...

I get that you like to insult me, but you might want to do a little research:

http://www.rei.com/category/4500304

Just for the board you're looking, for a new one, around $250 for the cheapest basic boards out there.

Cheapest Boots around $100

Cheapest Bindings around $100

So the cheapest thing you can probably get new is around $450. Sure that's not $800, but that's literally the worst equipment you can buy. The average snowboard with decent stuff on it is around $800 - so I stand by what I said.

You wouldn't buy the cheapest thing out there because you'd end up having to replace it fairly quickly. The cheap stuff breaks, doesn't insulate your feet and, most of the time, has terrible ankle support and can increase your chance of injury. So if you were going to buy a board to try it, you wouldn't buy the worst thing out there. If you were going to try it you'd just spend $30 and rent a set at the resort. I've never done that because I own my own skis.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Hungry said:

Just for the board you're looking, for a new one, around $250 for the cheapest basic boards out there.

So the cheapest thing you can probably get new is around $450. Sure that's not $800, but that's literally the worst equipment you can buy. The average snowboard with decent stuff on it is around $800 - so I stand by what I said.

You wouldn't buy the cheapest thing out there because you'd end up having to replace it fairly quickly. The cheap stuff breaks, doesn't insulate your feet and, most of the time, has terrible ankle support and can increase your chance of injury. So if you were going to buy a board to try it, you wouldn't buy the worst thing out there. If you were going to try it you'd just spend $30 and rent a set at the resort. I've never done that because I own my own skis.

also, you need a cool boarder jacket from Burton like Vic has, with some kinda weird logo on it, like a space alien, or some abstract circle with a dot in it.

it shows you're a rebel who doesn't do things like listen to Frank Sinatra or Britney Spears, and work for "the man."

that's another $150 or so.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Hungry said:

You're an idiot.

I have a navy blue Burton tri-lite AK ...no alien logos or crazy patterns.

Then again, I'm not 13yrs old.

I own my own skis. I wanted to try snowboarding, so I dished out $70 so the wife and I could get a lesson and rental. No problem...

Back