Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who will be the next WR to wear #1

azian6er

Just an interesting question for all of you to mull over. Do you think a current receiver will change numbers to #1, or will an incoming player be assigned that number?

Can they change numbers in the middle of the season? If anybody it would be either Junior or Roy.

azian6er said:
Just an interesting question for all of you to mull over. Do you think a current receiver will change numbers to #1, or will an incoming player be assigned that number?

nobody on this team has earned it and they're not giving it to a freshmen next year. it'll be 2-3 years before we see #1

Somebody whos not on the roster.... The last Wolverine to wear #1 .. A corner who is now in jail way to go RR, even if it was for a day or two.

On NCAA 12, I started my 2nd season in dynasty mode and when the team entered the field the computer gave a freshmen the #1. That didn't last for long.

So I still don't understand how they will implement it. I mean if a receiver has to "earn" it, then isn't it likely that they would have to play for a few years to prove themselves and then change to #1? say for their senior season?

Just curious if anyone on the inside knows about this and how it will be implemented. Maybe it really hasn't even been discussed who knows.

Roy's grab sat. night was #1-esque though I thought.

azian6er said:
So I still don't understand how they will implement it. I mean if a receiver has to "earn" it, then isn't it likely that they would have to play for a few years to prove themselves and then change to #1? say for their senior season?

Just curious if anyone on the inside knows about this and how it will be implemented. Maybe it really hasn't even been discussed who knows.

Roy's grab sat. night was #1-esque though I thought.

Only game breaking receivers who are consistent will get a chance. If Manningham never got it that shows you what it will take... Granted Mario skipped his senior year, even if he stayed RR would have given him #1 and Mario would have had an awful year due to the QB play and would have forever tarnished the #1 jersey.

And btw Roy Roundtree will never wear that jersey..

55carlo said:
I heard there mulling over giving Denard Robinson the #1 jersey next year.

Never happen unless he starts playing receiver this year and scores about 10 tds doing so.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
55carlo said:
I heard there mulling over giving Denard Robinson the #1 jersey next year.

Never happen unless he starts playing receiver this year and scores about 10 tds doing so.

Why does the #1 jersey "have" to go to a WR? Why can't it just go to an outstanding player who is basically the man. I know the tradition etc etc...

Two things though about that:

1. Don't know if Drob will want to relinquish his #16
2. I know that hard nosed traditionalists will want to reserve it only for a WR, and not any player.

Qbs wearing #1 looks weird. My gf doesn't understand how numbers can look weird. And why on ncaa when I get a fast running back and he's number 44 I gotta change it.

And it'd be 10x's worse at michigan because 1 has always been for a wr.

If someone turned down #1, they dont belong at michigan.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Qbs wearing #1 looks weird. My gf doesn't understand how numbers can look weird. And why on ncaa when I get a fast running back and he's number 44 I gotta change it.

Warren moon?

azian6er said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]

Why does the #1 jersey "have" to go to a WR? Why can't it just go to an outstanding player who is basically the man. I know the tradition etc etc...

Two things though about that:

Tradition would be the answer.

1. Don't know if Drob will want to relinquish his #16
2. I know that hard nosed traditionalists will want to reserve it only for a WR, and not any player.

Tradition is the answer

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
[quote="Maize&Cheese304":eek:xwlsya3]Qbs wearing #1 looks weird. My gf doesn't understand how numbers can look weird. And why on ncaa when I get a fast running back and he's number 44 I gotta change it.

Warren moon?[/quote:eek:xwlsya3]

Nope. I don't know why, I just hate the number one for a qb. Actually hate it period except for a michigan wr.

Hoke would NEVER give the #1 to a player who isn't a WR. Just like he will never give the #2 to a def player who isn't a CB. The man lives for tradition. I couldn't see Junior giving up the 21 now that it has the Desmond patch on it. He has already spoken how he feels about wearing the jersey with the patch on it.

On a side note about numbers did you guys happen to see the DT tackle for ND #9. It was just wrong the guy looks like he is at least 320 and had a single digit number. The number looked so small compared to how big he was it was just wrong.

wheels002 said:
Hoke would NEVER give the #1 to a player who isn't a WR. Just like he will never give the #2 to a def player who isn't a CB. The man lives for tradition. I couldn't see Junior giving up the 21 now that it has the Desmond patch on it. He has already spoken how he feels about wearing the jersey with the patch on it.

On a side note about numbers did you guys happen to see the DT tackle for ND #9. It was just wrong the guy looks like he is at least 320 and had a single digit number. The number looked so small compared to how big he was it was just wrong.

Lloyd Carr gave Shawn Crable #2... Never understood that.. Tradition was Lloyds middle name too

Hoke has said though he wants the #2 on defense to be like the #1 on offense.

wheels002 said:
Hoke has said though he wants the #2 on defense to be like the #1 on offense.

Thats the way it should be.. Also I like #29 only on a corner.. Leon Baby!

Look how great the receivers were that wore the #1 jersey. Edwards, Terrell, Alexander, Carter.....those are elite receivers. (Tyrone Butterfield is a bit more of a question mark IMO)

I know it's easier to impress us now after the past couple seasons, but I don't think Junior Hemingway and Roy Roundtree are better than guys like Amani Toomer, Mercury Hayes, Marcus Knight and Jason Avant. Those guys weren't ever mentioned as potential #1 jerseys that I can remember.

I don't think the next WR to wear #1 is on the roster right now.

Back