Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Why Stafford will never be a great QB

This article pretty much sums up the argument about Stafford regressing this year.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/2013-black-monday

"If anything, Stafford has regressed over the past two seasons, culminating in the Lions' collapse this season, where Stafford threw 12 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in the seven games that mattered as the Lions went 2-5 and fell from the divisional lead to out of the playoffs."

"Schwartz and his staff continuously defended Stafford publicly. Said the rest of the team had to be better around him. Except Stafford wasn?t getting better himself. Yes, his receivers dropped passes and his running backs fumbled the football, but too often Stafford made bad throws that led to turnovers."

Matthew Stafford said "I owe a ton" to offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and "I'n sure he'll be a hot commodity" -Dave Birkett

Lions drop rate. 9.1%. Next highest 7.8% Brady. Most everyone else around 6%.

Stafford low 60% QB really. Needs to work to cut his fault ints and get that to mid 60% completion next year. 29 TDS, 4,600 yards plus 2 rushing TDs I'll take.

Bottom line, his footwork is crap and he takes to many chances because he has a great arm. He needs instruction and maturity. He will never be a great QB unless he addresses the foot work and stops beating off to the strength of his arm. He is gonna get paid so it's all a moot point. We are stuck with him and there are too many holes that need to be addressed before drafting some QB competition. I would have loved to see Shawn Hill in there on the last game, he would probably have picked the Vikings D apart and made the situation even worse for Swartz on up.

I'd like to see a break down of Stafford's stats when it mattered vs garbage time. Dude is great at tearing it up when the other team doesn't care.

Not sure what the actual numbers are, but Stafford has only one win against teams that finished the year over .500. Shocking.

Not sure what the actual numbers are, but Stafford has only one win against teams that finished the year over .500. Shocking.

Bears would have been 10-6 if they swept the Lions. Cowboys would have been 9-7 if they beat Lions too. Ooops.

24(with another FG attempt) against Bengals seemed like it could be enough. Silly blocked FG and shanked punt. I blame Stafford for that block.

8 and 9 didn't cut it in a blizzard at Philly or at Lambeau without Calvin. McCoy carried Foles and Rodgers 22 points did cut it. And 14 in the first half only didn't cut it at Arizona without Bush in the second half (plus 2 missed/blocked FGs).

I'll give you the Zona second half though 27 would have won it. That's it.

Last edited:
Bears would have been 10-6 if they swept the Lions. Cowboys would have been 9-7 if they beat Lions too. Ooops.

24(with another FG attempt) against Bengals seemed like it could be enough. Silly blocked FG and shanked punt. I blame Stafford for that block.

8 and 9 didn't cut it in a blizzard at Philly or at Lambeau without Calvin. McCoy carried Foles and Rodgers 22 points did cut it. And 14 in the first half only didn't cut it at Arizona without Bush in the second half (plus 2 missed/blocked FGs).

I'll give you the Zona second half though 27 would have won it. That's it.

Look, I like Stafford, but you're making excuses. Even with all the drops, he constantly misses wide open receivers and throwing interceptions that should never have been thrown.

I do think he can improve. He's still young. But, these last two years have been much less than average for him. Yards and Points mean nothing if you can't get it done against good teams and constantly choke against bad teams.

You can choose to ignore the facts and distort them as much as you want, but that doesn't change the truth. Right now, he's only worth about half of what he's making.

DET is 6-18 the last 3 years in the 2nd half (average of 2-6), regardless of how good the teams were. Contrast that with being 15-9 in the first half (average of 5-3).

Record After 3rd Quarters, 2011-2013 (21-27)

20-23-5

5 x come from behind wins, 3 in 2011

7 x losses after leading at the end of 3 Quarters

1-4 in tied games after 3 Quarters

DET is 6-18 the last 3 years in the 2nd half (average of 2-6), regardless of how good the teams were. Contrast that with being 15-9 in the first half (average of 5-3).

Record After 3rd Quarters, 2011-2013 (21-27)

20-23-5

5 x come from behind wins, 3 in 2011

7 x losses after leading at the end of 3 Quarters

1-4 in tied games after 3 Quarters

cant finish.....all on coaches and qb when you are constantly put in position to win and you piss it away.

TOTAL TEAM EFFORT on the losing season, not just the coaches and QB

really? cause ross outscored the offense in the philly game.

Stafford led the team to 13 points vs min.

I can give you several other examples if you really need me to.

Last edited:
really? cause ross outscored the offense in the philly game.

Stafford led the team to 13 points vs min.

I can give you several other examples if you really need me to.

Fumbles all year, fumbles in the redzone, league leading drops, bad ST play, too many fn dumb penalties.

You want more, sunshine?

Last edited:
So far in Stafford's career he has been an average QB. The thing he has going for him is his age. If he will accept coaching and change his "gunslinger" mentality I think he has the potential to be a top 10 QB in the league. He will need to make some changes. The #1 thing going against him is his inconsistancy. Not just game to game but throw to throw. Will he become a top 10 QB...I don't know but I hope he can.

So far in Stafford's career he has been an average QB. The thing he has going for him is his age. If he will accept coaching and change his "gunslinger" mentality I think he has the potential to be a top 10 QB in the league. He will need to make some changes. The #1 thing going against him is his inconsistancy. Not just game to game but throw to throw. Will he become a top 10 QB...I don't know but I hope he can.

he was given everything a qb could ask for ...the same OC for years, a great passing oline, a pass catching rb out of the backfield and the best WR in the game......and he was a bottom 10 qb this year. At this point we have to hope he can become average.

Back