Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Worse than Appy State loss in 07?

zyxt9

This felt like the worst UM game I have ever watched, even worse than Appy State. Maybe because there was a humerous part to the Appy St loss in 07 that as a fan of underdogs winning I was able to appreciate, I don't know. But watching the game I said to my wife thus was the worst game I have ever watched and she asked if it was worse than Appy State to which I replied Yes. Maybe because it was to ND, maybe because it just spiraled out of control, the play calling, the ineptitude, lack of execution, I don't know what it is exactly.

I know historians will still consider Appy State due to the shock value or whatnot. But for me, this feels like the worst game I have ever seen UM play.

This felt like the worst UM game I have ever watched, even worse than Appy State. Maybe because there was a humerous part to the Appy St loss in 07 that as a fan of underdogs winning I was able to appreciate, I don't know. But watching the game I said to my wife thus was the worst game I have ever watched and she asked if it was worse than Appy State to which I replied Yes. Maybe because it was to ND, maybe because it just spiraled out of control, the play calling, the ineptitude, lack of execution, I don't know what it is exactly.

I know historians will still consider Appy State due to the shock value or whatnot. But for me, this feels like the worst game I have ever seen UM play.

We always seem to go back to that loss, don't we?

Give it 12 hours. I bet tomorrow right before NFL kickoff you'll realize this isn't even close to App State.

The only loss that comes close is OSU the year before as it ended national title aspirations, which I guess App St. did too.

This isn't even close. Toledo n '08, Purdue in '09, Mississippi State in '10, all worse than today as well.

Don't kid yourself... This was pretty close.. Almost as bad.... First shutout in the series.. First since 1984... First shutout to a non conference foe since 1926 to Navy... (at least we went 7-1 won the Big ten that year and beat Minnesota twice due to a schedule quirk had a few shutouts of our own) But Not sure i see any of that coming soon to AA.

(The navy /Michigan game in baltimore had 80,000 people)

At least with Appy State they were competitive and it felt like they would pull it off in the end. This...this was a complete failure. Both games were over after UM missed a FG, but this game still had 3+ quarters to play and the score was 0-0 at that time...but...they...just...failed. At everything. Complete disaster.

I'm glad the rest of that 1926 season gives you such solace.

Getting shut out on the road to ND sucks balls, no doubt about it. But come on, we're putting it in the same league as being ranked 4th and losing at home to a 1-AA team?

Again, I know, it sucks, it hurts, we're pissed, etc. This isn't App State.

I'm not convinced bamf, but time will tell for certain. Definitely up there. The Toledo and others rank behind this one for certain. Those UM teams sucked and the gimmicky nature of RichRod made it easy to actually accept those losses. This loss to ND...in the last of the rivalry till who knows when....to fucking Noter Dame....ugh, I absolutely feel worse than after any previous loss. Fucking Noter Dame.

App State 1000 times worse I still get sent pictures and video of that loss from friends. A loss on the road to a ranked team when we are unranked rivalry or not is not even close to losing at home ranked top 5 and a 1-AA team. Especially coming off a Rose Bowl and being a preseason national championship contender. This thread is just ridiculous.

App State 1000 times worse I still get sent pictures and video of that loss from friends. A loss on the road to a ranked team when we are unranked rivalry or not is not even close to losing at home ranked top 5 and a 1-AA team. Especially coming off a Rose Bowl and being a preseason national championship contender. This thread is just ridiculous.

it wasn't just the loss, but how they lost. shutout in the last scheduled game vs ND, and played 4 of the most uninspired quarters of football i've ever seen from a UofM football team. it was an embarassment from any angle imanginable. coaching, players, execution, intensity, nothing was there. it was about as low as it gets, and there doesn't seem to be any accountability with Hoke, whose job isn't in any apparent danger despite the awful results.

Last edited:

See, that's the thing right there. To an outsider, sure they will point to Appy State because it was funny, jokes on us...ha, ha, ha. I can take a joke, no problem with that.

This loss, to the Wolverine fan in me...there is nothing funny about this. Its far more personal. I fucking HATE Noter Dame. This is more personal and therefore more painful, therefore it feels worse to me.

Best game by the Wolverines for me was when they beat Noter Dame 35-0...even better than the Rose Bowl win sealing the NC in 97-98. This loss, for me, is worse than Appy St.

FUCK NOTER DAME

The only loss that comes close is OSU the year before as it ended national title aspirations, which I guess App St. did too.

???

Hasn't every first loss of the season pretty much ended national title aspirations?

This loss certainly did...

I would say that actually the loss that LEAST ended national title aspirations was that Ohio State loss to which you referred...because when the BCS rankings were released right after the loss...Michigan still had hold of the BCS NCG slot.

It was in the ensuing and final week AFTER that loss that national title aspirations ended up being ended.

Oh, years and years ago...in the Desmond Howard era...Michigan lost to Notre Dame...and nevertheless reclaimed the #1 ranking...only to lose that when M lost again to Sparty, when that Sparty fuck tackled Desmond in the end zone before the ball got there...

EDIT: It was 1990...#4 Michigan lost on the road to #1 Notre Dame; but gained the number ranking relatively early in season with one loss, nevertheless...I just looked at the video; it looks like the Sparty caught Desmond by the ankle as he was going for the catch in the end zone...Oh right...it was a two point conversion...

Last edited:
For me, living nine miles from notresucks, having lots of family, friends, coworkers, customers that are nd fans, I say the app state loss is worse. Because I can always bring up the facts that we have beat them 38-0 twice in the last dozen years (03, 07) and eight times total, won 6 of the last 9, 4 of the last 6, and hold a 24-17-1 series lead (and since they stopped the series that they may never be able to take that away from Michigan).

Last edited:
Losing to a top 15 team on the road vs probably the biggest upset in cfb history? Last night was horrible but come on let's keep things in perspective

???

Hasn't every first loss of the season pretty much ended national title aspirations?

This loss certainly did...

I would say that actually the loss that LEAST ended national title aspirations was that Ohio State loss to which you referred...because when the BCS rankings were released right after the loss...Michigan still had hold of the BCS NCG slot.

It was in the ensuing and final week AFTER that loss that national title aspirations ended up being ended.

Oh, years and years ago...in the Desmond Howard era...Michigan lost to Notre Dame...and nevertheless reclaimed the #1 ranking...only to lose that when M lost again to Sparty, when that Sparty fuck tackled Desmond in the end zone before the ball got there...

EDIT: It was 1990...#4 Michigan lost on the road to #1 Notre Dame; but gained the number ranking relatively early in season with one loss, nevertheless...I just looked at the video; it looks like the Sparty caught Desmond by the ankle as he was going for the catch in the end zone...Oh right...it was a two point conversion...

Oh Lord.

Yes, because Michigan had realistic national title aspirations that were blown to bits last night in South Bend. It's clearly the same as being undefeated and ranked #2 playing at #1 in the last game of the season or being preseason #4 with the first overall pick at LT, a 4th year starting QB, the school's most productive RB in the past quarter century, yada yada yada.

I'm wrong. You're right. Obviously.

:nuts:

Give it 12 hours. I bet tomorrow right before NFL kickoff you'll realize this isn't even close to App State.

This isn't even close. Toledo n '08, Purdue in '09, Mississippi State in '10, all worse than today as well.

It was pretty close my friend. App State was a stunning loss but this was a drudging from start to finish. Add to the fact that we can't even win next year because there is no next year. If App State is still number 1, this is number 2 in my books.

I would put this loss on par with the loss to ND in '12. Same offensive debacle for Michigan. The difference is that Gibbons was able to make two FGs otherwise it would have been a shutout too, and the D only gave up 13 points.

I told you. .a first game blowout of App St. does nothing. No point in scheduling them. "But it gives them confidence mitch."

Lmao.

It was pretty close my friend. App State was a stunning loss but this was a drudging from start to finish. Add to the fact that we can't even win next year because there is no next year. If App State is still number 1, this is number 2 in my books.

ok.

Oh Lord.

Yes, because Michigan had realistic national title aspirations that were blown to bits last night in South Bend. It's clearly the same as being undefeated and ranked #2 playing at #1 in the last game of the season or being preseason #4 with the first overall pick at LT, a 4th year starting QB, the school's most productive RB in the past quarter century, yada yada yada.

I'm wrong. You're right. Obviously.

:nuts:

Wow.

I started to try to explain to you how monumentally you missed the point, but it isn't worth the effort; you'll never get it.

The single sentence in the post that you're quoting that you chose to focus on was sarcastic and anecdotal.

By your logic here, a worse loss than the 2006 loss to the Buckeyes would have been the one to Iowa in 1985, at Kinnick Stadium, where the two also entered the game as #1 and #2.

Michigan went on to have one more tie, on the road at Champlain.

M ended the season #2 to #1 Oklahoma, who was 11-1.

So arguably the Iowa loss was MORE costly regarding national championship aspirations than the 2006 loss to the Buckeyes.

Oh, and regarding "realistic" national championship aspirations - that team didn't have any.

That team went into the season just as unranked as this season's team.

Last edited:
Back