Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Would you guys be for/against trading out of the 1st round?

Judging a GM by his record after he took over the worst team in sports history??

Brilliant!

Not to get into a argument here but this is the same thing LKP brings up all the time, in the same manner..

With that being said going from 10 wins to 4 to 7 back to 11 doesn't paint a good picture for the GM. Playoff wins are all that matter at this point, and the original argument was Matt sucked. How can you dispute that?

And 11 wins or not, talking about the easy schedule is viable.

Just want to ask a simple question to the board.

Should Mayhew keep his job if the Lions don't win at least one playoff game in the next two seasons?

Just want to ask a simple question to the board.

Should Mayhew keep his job if the Lions don't win at least one playoff game in the next two seasons?

Do we think there is a GM who we can hire, who could build a team that would absolutely win one playoff game in the next two years?

I'm not sure who would be out there, but that's the real question. You don't fire a GM just because you don't win a playoff game, especially if he's gotten you into the playoffs. You fire him if you think he's not performing AND there is someone you want to replace him with.

Maybe someone will be out there. But in order to meet that goal, you have to upgrade, not go backwards.

It's not all on Mayhew. I look at who is above him. How Lewand has kept his job is beyond me. I think this organization has always lacked in getting elite upper management. Look at New England, Seattle, and Baltimore. Firestone-Ford has some work to do. You can't let the inmates run the asylum.

Do we think there is a GM who we can hire, who could build a team that would absolutely win one playoff game in the next two years?

I have no clue, I'm not in the business of evaluating potential GMs and I'm sure a vast majority of fans aren't either. That's the job of the ownership (and they've been pretty terrible thus far).

I'm not sure who would be out there, but that's the real question. You don't fire a GM just because you don't win a playoff game, especially if he's gotten you into the playoffs. You fire him if you think he's not performing AND there is someone you want to replace him with.

Maybe someone will be out there. But in order to meet that goal, you have to upgrade, not go backwards.

Well it would be incredibly irresponsible to fire a GM without a focus on replacements, this is obvious....and once again, that's a job for the ownership.

Results are important and not winning a playoff game shows me no progress. The fact that they made the playoffs then regressed for two straight seasons was bad enough, continuing to fail should result in a clean house...7-8 years is more than enough time.

But I agree with what you're getting at, the reason the Lions are where they are today was because the Lions fired Millen with no plan. They refused the league's help and promoted his understudy.

The real question is, how long will the 0-16 card be used?

Before we know it...a decade will have gone by, nothing will have changed, and we'll be back to square one.

Ah.. the if it ain't fixed don't break it approach?

The real question is, how long will the 0-16 card be used?

Before we know it...a decade will have gone by, nothing will have changed, and we'll be back to square one.

There is so much turn over year to year it shouldn't be an excuse any longer. Hell we don't even have a player from the 2011 draft on the team anymore. That being said I feel like a lot of fans even on this board is giving him another year and after last year fair enough. Back to back even appearances let alone wins will be something for this franchise.

Definitely not. We shouldn't have to bring up Millen any longer..It's been going on 7 years..and he was assistant for a bunch before that. Who was he suppose to learn from? And I'm disappointed that after losing Suh, Fairley and the offensive struggles..Ngata was all we did.

And paying Suh 9m to not play here was on Mayhew..someone has to be accountable.

I was a little interested in how the GMs of playoff teams did in their first years (up to 6) and what type of situation they took over

Dallas
Current: Jerry Jones
Took over a 3-13 team that missed playoffs 3 straight years
First 6 years: 56-40 (.622), 8-2 playoffs, 2 SB wins

Green Bay
Current: Ted Thompson
Took over a 10-6 team that was one and done in the playoffs
First 6 years: 52-44 (.542), 5-2 playoffs, 1 SB win

Detroit
Current: Martin Mayhew
Took over an 0-16 team with 7 straight losing seasons, missing the playoffs 8 years in a row
First 6 years: 40-56 (.417), 0-2 playoffs

Carolina
Current: David Gettleman
Took over a 7-9 team that missed the playoffs 4 years in a row
First 2 years: 19-12-1 (.609), 1-2 playoffs

Seattle
Current: Pete Carroll/John Schneider
Took over a 5-11 team that missed the playoffs 2 years in a row
First 5 years: 50-30 (.625), 7-2 playoffs, 1 SB win

Arizona
Current: Steve Keim
Took over a 5-11 team that missed the playoffs 3 years in a row
First 2 years: 21-11 (.656), 0-1 playoffs

New England
Current: Bill Belichick/(past)Scott Pioli
Took over an 8-8 team that missed the playoffs after making the playoffs 3 straight years
First 6 years: 63-33 (.656), 10-1 playoffs, 3 SB wins

Pittsburgh
Current: Kevin Colbert
Took over a 6-10 team that missed the playoffs 2 straight years after making the playoffs 6 straight years
First 6 years: 64-31-1 (.672), 7-3 playoffs, 1 SB win

Cincinnati
Current: Mike Brown
Took over a 9-7 team that went 1-1 in the playoffs
First 6 years: 29-67 (.302), no playoff appearances

Baltimore
Current: Ozzie Newsome
Took over a 5-11 Browns team that missed the playoffs one year after making the playoffs (and moved to Baltimore)
First 6 years: 46-49-1 (.484), 5-1 playoffs, 1 SB win

Indianapolis
Current: Ryan Grigson
Took over a 2-14 team that missed the playoffs for the first time in 9 seasons
First 3 years: 33-15 (.688), 3-3 playoffs

Denver
Current: John Elway
Took over an 8-8 team that went 1-1 in the playoffs
First 3 years: 38-10 (.792), 2-3 playoffs, 1 SB appearance

Out of these 12 executives, in their first 6 years (or less)
- 6 won Super Bowls
- 7 appeared in Super Bowls
- 9 had a record above .500
- 9 won at least one playoff game
- 9 took over teams that missed the playoffs the previous year

At least Mayhew isn't Mike Brown

If the Lions do not make the playoffs, they need to broom the front office.

The first 2 years of Mayhew doesn't count. It was talent hell from Millen and cap hell too. 2010 Stafford got hurt. 2-14 and 6-10.

That's 16 under .500 just from that. You start from 2011 on. 2012 was the only year that sucked and there was a ton of injuries that year too and the DEs basically tricked Mayhew after good 2010/2011s.. He learned from his mistakes and now the Lions are an 11-5 to be perennial playoff team.

The first 2 years of Mayhew doesn't count. It was talent hell from Millen and cap hell too. 2010 Stafford got hurt. 2-14 and 6-10.

That's 16 under .500 just from that. You start from 2011 on. 2012 was the only year that sucked and there was a ton of injuries that year too and the DEs basically tricked Mayhew after good 2010/2011s.. He learned from his mistakes and now the Lions are an 11-5 to be perennial playoff team.
Still no playoff wins. No excuses. All teams are faced with similar challenges but to be fair, not as horrible as Millen left the organization. Mahew has had ample time to right the ship. Like I said thus team has failed at the top. 11-5 don't mean squat. Now if they had a couple playoff wins I could swallow your point.

Definitely not. We shouldn't have to bring up Millen any longer..It's been going on 7 years..and he was assistant for a bunch before that. Who was he suppose to learn from? And I'm disappointed that after losing Suh, Fairley and the offensive struggles..Ngata was all we did.

And paying Suh 9m to not play here was on Mayhew..someone has to be accountable.

Absolutely you can still bring up Millen. The Lions organization is very much still feeling the effects of his time here. It's an extremely valid point to this day.

I could make a very strong argument that paying Suh $9M this year is on Millen.

I think in the Nancy's NEED to blame everything on Mayhew you're missing the fact that Millen's SUCK is still having an effect.

Mayhew has had PLENTY of time to win with this organization, and he hasn't. His imprint is fully on this team.

At what point can we officially say, "Okay, Millen's stink is now off this organization?" He was done in 2008. It's 2015. Win a playoff game.

Yup, the des tricked mayhew and our moron thought heading into the season with spievey and carey starting was a good idea. Should have fired him right there. Then we should have fired him after the Avril debacle. Then we should have fired him after the schwartz extension. Then there was suh. Guy gets more passes than stafford.....that works figuratively or literally.

Yup, the des tricked mayhew and our moron thought heading into the season with spievey and carey starting was a good idea. Should have fired him right there. Then we should have fired him after the Avril debacle. Then we should have fired him after the schwartz extension. Then there was suh. Guy gets more passes than stafford.....that works figuratively or literally.

Delmas was hurt. Spievey played solid in 2011. And then got hurt early in the season. More trickery. Injuries and solid play in 2011 followed by poor play in 2012.

Avril, KVB, Willie Young, Jackson had potential going into 2012. But they decided to stink. Draft Ansah and add Jones was the response. A great response.

Back