Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

CJ Gardner-Johnson, Bobby Wagner and OBJ would be a few players I?d like to see us target.

No desire for OBJ. I like our WR room right now.

CJGJ would be AWESOME. I'd be down with that.

Bobby Wagner.....that would be an upgrade, for sure......but at his age I'm wouldn't be too excited about it.

I?m not talking about just the Broncos. It feels like 3/4 of the league improves their roster year after year w less salary cap than we do in free agency.

When it comes to FA, I have the patience of Holmes on draft night. I want everyone lol

Holmes is about the draft and smart FA re-signs/signs. When you do that right, which he does, you don't need to break the bank in FA

The Lions also showed dramatic improvement last year. They improved their roster with not much cap space in 2022 and already are doing that in 2023. They even had a big signing outside of the 2022 roster

Relax

And it is more than just cap space, it is being smart with contracts. Edmunds is great but he got a huge deal. Maybe we offered, maybe we didn't, maybe the Bears offered more. Maybe they just like the chemistry of Anzalone and don't want to break the bank on ILB/Off Ball LB (which is typical across the NFL)

Contract details are out for Cameron Sutton?s three-year, $33 million contract. The deal is backloaded, featuring a base salary of just $1.1 million in 2023 before swelling to $10.5 million in 2024-25. The Lions have also packed two void years onto the back end of the deal, which allows them to spread out the $10.9 million signing bonus over five years instead of three. All told: Sutton will have a cap hit of just $3.28 million in 2023, but that climbs to $12.68 million in 2024-25, plus there?s another $4.36 million that will be triggered from the void years in 2026, when Sutton is no longer under contract.

I hate void years.

I read that teams can get better or worse based on if they win more or less than the year before. With 76% accuracy.

Anyone hear any rumors out there? I heard we made calls about what the Chargers want for Eckler.....but nothing else.

trading for Eckler would be stupid.

Depends on the compensation. Round 3 pick for sure. Second Round 2 maybe

He is 27 and just produces

200 carries 915 yards 4.5 YPC and 13 TDs

722 yards receiving and 5 TDs

Swift is gone next year

200 for Ekeler, 150 carries for Swift this year. Big threat every time we have a RB on the field

Can still structure a smart contract even if bigger. Backload for year 3 and year 4, add that 5th void year

I think he can produce for 3 more years. Round 2 RB a risk still though cheap. Bijan great if he falls to 18 but still a risk. Ekeler known good RB that can give you 200 carries and 60+ receptions

Good either way but definite pros to adding Ekeler

Last edited:
Have a good RB don't resign him just to trade a 2nd-3rd round pick on a similar RB. That's backwards.

Anyone hear any rumors out there? I heard we made calls about what the Chargers want for Eckler.....but nothing else.

I?ve seen a few random people mention Azeez Al-Shaair in a couple different places, though I haven?t found anything even remotely concrete yet. That?s all I got.

According to odds makers we?re the favorites for Ekeler.

Chargers -300
Lions +400
Dolphins +500
Broncos +500
Eagles +900
Bengals +1000
Texans +1200

We?re also still the favorite for Lamar. Mortgage anything and everything it takes, Holmes!!!

trading for Eckler would be stupid.

What?s the point investing high draft capital and salary in the O-line if you don?t invest in a RB that can take advantage?

J Williams was solid?Imagine what Ekeler would do!

What?s the point investing high draft capital and salary in the O-line if you don?t invest in a RB that can take advantage?

J Williams was solid?Imagine what Ekeler would do!

Ekeler is basically what we want Swift to be

For the right price, I would make the deal

According to odds makers we?re the favorites for Ekeler.

Chargers -300
Lions +400
Dolphins +500
Broncos +500
Eagles +900
Bengals +1000
Texans +1200

We?re also still the favorite for Lamar. Mortgage anything and everything it takes, Holmes!!!

We're going to be "favorites" for just about any player that could be traded for. We have the most picks in the first 3 rounds.....

Us being favorites for Lamar is laughable, IMO. He's not a fit. He'd be a salary cap disaster long term and now he's got an injury history. No thanks.

Depends on the compensation. Round 3 pick for sure. Second Round 2 maybe

He is 27 and just produces

200 carries 915 yards 4.5 YPC and 13 TDs

722 yards receiving and 5 TDs

Swift is gone next year

200 for Ekeler, 150 carries for Swift this year. Big threat every time we have a RB on the field

Can still structure a smart contract even if bigger. Backload for year 3 and year 4, add that 5th void year

I think he can produce for 3 more years. Round 2 RB a risk still though cheap. Bijan great if he falls to 18 but still a risk. Ekeler known good RB that can give you 200 carries and 60+ receptions

Good either way but definite pros to adding Ekeler

he'll be 28 at the start of next season and 29 when his extension kicks in.

There's a good reason that the Chargers are letting him explore the trade market.

he'll be 28 at the start of next season and 29 when his extension kicks in.

There's a good reason that the Chargers are letting him explore the trade market.

Yeah they are in cap hell. Or is that not a thing?

Ekeler can produce 3 more seasons for sure. Like I said, backload and maybe void year if the draft pick price is right

Back