Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

ALDS Game #2 Detroit @ Cleveland, Monday October 7th, 2024

Skubal yelling 'shut the fuck up' to the tribe fans.

awesome.. I was saying that since the first pitch of the game..

You guys who want AJ fired, would have fired him the first year he managed our Tigers if you ran the team.
It's all about matchups and clase is a righty pitcher.
Big game win for Skubal.
This game should shut the cleveland fans up about clase as the Cy Young Award Winner.

Kerry Carpenter's dramatic HR stuns Clase in 9th as Tigers force ALDS tie.
Tigers official site

Boxscore.

Lots of video highlights of the Tigers win over the guardians.

Tigers 3 - Guardians 0: The Cardiac Cats strike again.
A scoreless game in the ninth then featured a gigantic home run to even the series.
BYBTB

Kerry Carpenter's 9th-inning blast lifts Tigers in Game 2, evens ALDS vs. Guardians.
Detnews

Yay or nay? You be the judge on Steven Kwan's catch, which kept Tigers scoreless.
Detnews

Kerry Carpenter stuns Guardians with dramatic HR in 9th to lift Tigers to 3-0 win in Game 2
Kerry Carpenter stuns Guardians with dramatic HR in 9th to lift Tigers to 3-0 win in Game 2.
Freep

Were Tigers robbed of go-ahead run on controversial call in ALDS Game 2? You decide.
Freep

Tarik Skubal turning in one of Detroit Tigers' most dominant postseasons ever
Tarik Skubal turning in one of Detroit Tigers' most dominant postseasons ever.
Freep

Kerry Carpenter is the 3rd player in Tigers history with a go-ahead HR in the 9th inning or later of a playoff game, joining Al Kaline (1972) and Magglio Ordonez (2006). The homer came off the bat at 110.8 mph, the hardest-hit ball of his career.

Kerry Carpenter hits an absolute TANK off of Emmanuel Clase to give the Tigers a 3-0 lead in 9th inning of Game 2, Called by Tom Hamilton for WTAM in Cleveland:

Kerry Carpenter's go-ahead 3-run HR is Tigers' first go-ahead HR in 9th inning or later in a postseason game since Magglio Ordonez sent them to World Series in 2006 with his walkoff HR in ALCS.

Man, I’m so happy for Kerry Carpenter. 19th round draft pick. Had to get a side hustle during the pandemic just to make ends meet. Lost his dad back in 2020. It literally couldn’t have happened to a better guy.

First home run allowed to a lefty this season and second allowed period. First homer off a slider since 2022. Hardest hit ball allowed in his career. Five earned runs all season. Ladies and gentlemen, Kerry Carpenter.

Kerry and Magglio share the same number. Fun fact.
Skubal and Mickey Lolich share the same number. Fun fact.

Tarik Skubal has thrown 6.0-or-more shutout innings in each of his first 2 postseason starts. According to Elias Sports, he's the 1st Tiger and 6th pitcher in MLB history to do so, joining Corey Kluber (2016), Steve Avery (1991), Dave Righetti (1981), Joe Nikero (1980-81), and Christy Mathewson (1905).

Tarik Skubal was pumped up after another scoreless start and an outrageous Tigers win in Game 2.

You think Tarik Skubal was hyped about that homer?!?!

Come for the Carpenter homer.Stay for the Tigers reactions.

Tarik Skubal's numbers through 2 starts: 13 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 14 K.

Tarik Skubal wants the smoke. Telling cleveland fans to STFU.

The Tigers beat the Guardians 3-0 in Game 2 to even their ALDS at 1-1.
Brad Galli shares what Kerry Carpenter and Tarik Skubal said after the game in Cleveland.

Nobody wants AJ fired. I was the only one to use the term fired and it was in jest. If you think sitting our best hitter in a must win game just because mid matt Boyd is left handed is a smart move then we'll agree to disagree. Especially since outside of Ibanez, none of the righties are worth a shit vs lefties. Carp held his own vs LHP last year and it makes no sense why he sits him every time this year.

Emmanuel Clase has thrown 211 sliders this year. If you think the homer to Carpenter was flat, it was:
It was 210th of those 211 (!) in terms of horizontal break. (That's: 0.8 inches, where his average is 7 inches, and he's touched 14.)

The same few people have been calling for firing AJ in nearly every game thread for his moves and matchups, but for the sake of argument let's agree it was all in jest? Then why not say it in all those posts?
He has been taking the righty lefty matchups all year and I also wonder about it much of the time, but he has unlimited sources of data that we don't have.
I would love to question AJ's moves for another 10 Wins this PostSeason.

I think I heard Clase has only given up 5 earned runs all season and only 2 homers.
Crazy.

I think Carpenter should start verses Lhp. No one wants AJ fired. I really do not think our lineup verses lhp isn’t all that good. Now we did out hit Cleveland 9-3 so maybe we just got a tad unlucky. I’d like to see him get a few starts verses lhp but AJ isn’t likely to change anytime soon. It looks like they adjusted the closer role on the fly to Bo and Vest. Foley not seen as much. I wonder if his arm is fatigued again ?

2023 Kerry Carpenter holding his own? as a left handed batter vs. left handed pitching. .235

Kerry Carpenter 2024 Batting Splits | Baseball-Reference.com .222 vs lg starter 16 for 72.
2024 Ketty Carpenter holding his own? as a left handed batter vs. left handed pitching. .107 vs. lh starter 5 for 18.

The fact it took us 18 innings to score it’s amazing we’re tired 1-1.

FAN FEEDBACK: DIVISIONS SERIES GAME #2
Totally Tigers

We’re breaking tradition again today – and every day the Detroit Tigers are playing October baseball. The day after each game, we’ll be dissecting it. The good and the bad. Hopefully, a lot more good.
Like today.
What an exciting game!!
There was stellar pitching. Amazing catches. A blown umpire call. 9th inning heroics – and so much more.
There’s a lot for fans to discuss which is why we’re opening up this blog for everyone to share their observations.
Talk about your favorite moment. Identify your biggest takeaway. Predict the future if you dare.
What are you thinking right now??
Just keep it to a maximum of 6 sentences please. You get extra points if you respond to other readers to keep the conversations going.

2023 Kerry Carpenter holding his own? as a left handed batter vs. left handed pitching. .235

Kerry Carpenter 2024 Batting Splits | Baseball-Reference.com .222 vs lg starter 16 for 72.
2024 Ketty Carpenter holding his own? as a left handed batter vs. left handed pitching. .107 vs. lh starter 5 for 18.

There are two things at play here for me. The sample size vs lefties is incredibly small. I would like to see him get at least 100 plate appearances next year to see how it goes. But the sample we do have is really poor. Batting average doesn't mean a hell of a lot to me, but his .408 OPS is 100 points less than Baez. Let that sink in. Either way, Hinch is the guy. He makes a lot of moves that open him up to criticism when they don't work out, but I'd rather watch him pull the strings and do what he does.

Also, if you think it's bad here, Tigers reddit during the live game thread is an absolute clown show. Fans are the worst lol

There are two things at play here for me. The sample size vs lefties is incredibly small. I would like to see him get at least 100 plate appearances next year to see how it goes. But the sample we do have is really poor. Batting average doesn't mean a hell of a lot to me, but his .408 OPS is 100 points less than Baez. Let that sink in. Either way, Hinch is the guy. He makes a lot of moves that open him up to criticism when they don't work out, but I'd rather watch him pull the strings and do what he does.

Also, if you think it's bad here, Tigers reddit during the live game thread is an absolute clown show. Fans are the worst lol
his career OPS vs. LH starting pitching is 0.695

That is only 47 games started and 128 plate appearances.

his career OPS vs. LH starting pitching is 0.695

That is only 47 games started and 128 plate apappearances.not

Not to mention his last year in the minors he had a .900+ ops vs leftys in 2022. 28 at bats this year can't be taken serious.

Back