Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ann Coulter Tweets in Favor of AOC 70% TMR

That wasn't the impression I got from the post I responded to below:

OK, I see. The 'deadbeats'. Not the AOC tax targets. My bad.

I added quotes to 'deadbeats'. I do believe a lot of people are trying. I need to look up what I think I read about upward mobility.

Last edited:
I think the metric for socioeconomic mobility they're using to is look at what quartile or quintile of earning your parents were in, and compare it to your earning position in society. So what percentage of people near the bottom have kids that make it to the top?

Wikipedia shows that the US lags behind Europe by this metric.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socioeconomic_mobility_in_the_United_States

This article has some scary looking plots that cover multiple decades, but I haven't dug into them to figure out exactly what they mean:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/aparna...her-metric-of-economic-mobility/#5f9deca66a7b

Are there? I lived in a car for two years before age 5 and another 1.5 years in high school. I might not be 'upper income' but I own a house, a car, and contribute to savings regularly.

I have several friends that I grew up with in similiar situations and they're in the same boat. I hate to think where we'd have all ended up if our parents were denied the assistance that contributed to us becoming what we are today.

I think government assistance is a good thing for those who can't help themselves or as a crutch to help people get back on their feet. But for the people that need to "get back on their feet", that assistance should be very short lived.

sorry to hear you have a deadbeat sister-in-law, Tom, but we have to stop governing based on anecdotal evidence. It's what got us into this mess.

you mean anectodal evidence like your 12 years in corporate America that has convinced you higher paid people aren't more productive or that the private sector isn't more efficient than the government despite mountains of actual data that contradicts it?

The issue isn't anecdote vs. data, it's which anecdotes or data you can cherry pick to "support" your unsupportable conclusions.

you mean anectodal evidence like your 12 years in corporate America that has convinced you higher paid people aren't more productive or that the private sector isn't more efficient than the government despite mountains of actual data that contradicts it?

The issue isn't anecdote vs. data, it's which anecdotes or data you can cherry pick to "support" your unsupportable conclusions.

please show me these mountains of data.

in my experience, higher pay correlates mainly to an ability and willingness to jump jobs often.

please show me these mountains of data.

in my experience, higher pay correlates mainly to an ability and willingness to jump jobs often.

if you're unaware of the painfully obvious fact that the private sector is more efficient than the government, then you're beyond help.

as for your other statement, I thought we had to stop governing by anecdote. Do we not?

Last edited:
What about when the government subs out work to the private sector at bloated, unnecessary cost to the tax-payer? Is that government sucking or private sector sucking with the government?

What about when the government subs out work to the private sector at bloated, unnecessary cost to the tax-payer? Is that government sucking or private sector sucking with the government?

That?s a point-there has always been corruption and there always will be.

The United States is the most corrupt country in the history of the world - except for all the other ones that are and ever were.

do you think this could happen without an unaccountable bureaucracy? of course there will always be people willing to take advantage of these inefficiencies - that's human nature.

do you think this could happen without an unaccountable bureaucracy? of course there will always be people willing to take advantage of these inefficiencies - that's human nature.

LOL..

Private equity bribes politicians, and/or funds campaigns to elect sleazy politcians, that turn around and hand public assets over to these same private equity firms. see, E.G. The Indiana tollway scam.

and in your view that's an example of bad government.

maybe - and hear me out on this - in addition to letting the voters decide, this is a democracy after all, the bankers that bribe polticians should go to jail?

also, LOL... you think white collar crime is just "human nature."

That's not very Christian.

It's the 21st century! We're really advanced, man!

When we see corruption, we just have to shrug and say "No one in the history of mankind ever cleaned up corruption! that's just the way it is! human nature!"

Laws? those are only used to throw black people in jail. Not white people that are just making a couple extra bucks...

It's the 21st century! We're really advanced, man!

When we see corruption, we just have to shrug and say "No one in the history of mankind ever cleaned up corruption! that's just the way it is! human nature!"

Laws? those are only used to throw black people in jail. Not white people that are just making a couple extra bucks...

I didn't realize that it's only white people that are corrupt. So black business owners and politicians are squeaky clean?

i'm surprised how popular Ann Coulter is here, I never would have thought such would be so.

That?s a point-there has always been corruption and there always will be.

The United States is the most corrupt country in the history of the world - except for all the other ones that are and ever were.

History is full of private sector inefficiencies just as is the US Govt. It takes two to pay $750 for a wrench.

Saw this while browsing the interwebs, thought it was relevant to the thread:

5jofqb18pdd21.jpg

LOL..

Private equity bribes politicians, and/or funds campaigns to elect sleazy politcians, that turn around and hand public assets over to these same private equity firms. see, E.G. The Indiana tollway scam.

and in your view that's an example of bad government.

maybe - and hear me out on this - in addition to letting the voters decide, this is a democracy after all, the bankers that bribe polticians should go to jail?

also, LOL... you think white collar crime is just "human nature."

That's not very Christian.

nice strawman - at the risk of sounding like gulo you're reading things that aren't there. Subcontracting to the private sector at bloated prices isn't white collar crime - i'm sure there are many instances that involve bribes and kickbacks, but that wasn't mentioned. Of course both sides involved in crimes should be punished, but of course you need to put words in my mouth so you can argue against them. You need to believe that anyone who doesn't support expanding government (which would only make corruption worse, of course) supports crony corporatism and corporate welfare.

Also, if you think it's corporate America's fault that there's corruption in government, LOL. The best way to address this is to institute term limits. It will be interesting to see how many politicians support Ted Cruz's bill.

Last edited:
Saw this while browsing the interwebs, thought it was relevant to the thread:

the reality is taxing ultra high earners at a 70% rate for income over a certain threshhold won't do anything other than incentivize people to stop working once they earn a certain amount of money. When we had marginal rates in that range they were a farce - the code was so full of loopholes and exemptions that virtually no one paid those rates.

The truth is, and you won't hear this from AOC or septuagenarian loon bag Bernie Sanders and the turds who follow their line of not thinking, in order to pay for all these social programs they're pushing, marginal tax rates are going to have to be in the range of 60% on middle class Americans, people making about $50k per year throughout much of the country. Good luck if you live in New Jersey, New York or California and make that much money.

Last edited:
History is full of private sector inefficiencies just as is the US Govt. It takes two to pay $750 for a wrench.

yes it does, but one of them (the buyer) virtually always has to be an unaccountable bureaucrat in the government. There aren't private sector institutions that survive long term being run like the USPS, the VA, public schools, Detroit, Flint, Baltimore, Los Angeles...

Last edited:
Back