Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

That is one of the most pathetic "look at me" articles I've seen in a long time.

Ya that was pretty bad/pointless.

I personally hate the emphasis the media puts on who broke the story first. Its stupid - does anyone really care which reporter/blogger/journalist/talking head was first to the scene?

Every time a story breaks on ESPN, and its displayed across the scrolling bar, its followed by "First reported by: (Insert Name)". Its obnoxious

Figures.. Too many losing seasons from a shit organization has finally broke Calvin.

Thanks William Clay Ford you Pieces of shit for the outstanding Football foundation you have set up :/

If we had a gm we could be working on a trade. But we're the lions...we roll with no gm.

What about Hot Rod? He was supposed to be a real wheeler dealer playing hearts in the retirement homes he managed.

That is one of the most pathetic "look at me" articles I've seen in a long time.

Holy shit, you are dead on.

That was a pointless article. Oh, oh,......I saw him grab game balls talked to busy body......WOOOOOHOOOOOO.

I saw CJ and Stafford hug after the Bears game and I remember thinking......hmmmmmmm....seems like a goodbye, thanks for the memories kind of hug. Like one a coach would give to a player on senior day.

Eh......who knows.......hope he gives it one more season.

If we had a gm we could be working on a trade. But we're the lions...we roll with no gm.

How do you trade a guy who might be retiring?

I also want to note that I went my entire life without reading a Terry Foster article. Thanks, Ink :cheers:

Figures.. Too many losing seasons from a shit organization has finally broke Calvin.

Thanks William Clay Ford you Pieces of shit for the outstanding Football foundation you have set up :/

IF CJ retires......I think it will be more about his health than anything to do with the organization. Not saying the Lions organization is great......I just think the constant nagging injuries have taken their toll. I'd say that's pretty normal for anyone who relies on their body for work.

It's easy to blame the organization because of what happened with Barry and because of the roller coaster seasons.....but Calvin has ALWAYS said he wants to retire a Lion, always said the right thing. If this was a "I'm tired of losing, fuck it I'm out" kind of deal.....I highly doubt he would have gone to the media with it. Just isn't his MO.

Just my $.02

IF CJ retires......I think it will be more about his health than anything to do with the organization. Not saying the Lions organization is great......I just think the constant nagging injuries have taken their toll. I'd say that's pretty normal for anyone who relies on their body for work.

It's easy to blame the organization because of what happened with Barry and because of the roller coaster seasons.....but Calvin has ALWAYS said he wants to retire a Lion, always said the right thing. If this was a "I'm tired of losing, fuck it I'm out" kind of deal.....I highly doubt he would have gone to the media with it. Just isn't his MO.

Just my $.02

I agree with this. He seems to like the organization, players and coaches.

I've also read some articles that say he could be using this just to get out of Detroit (I don't think that is the case...I think he is done)

Here is one article.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...timing-of-calvin-johnsons-retirement-musings/

I'm not going to say I know Calvin. But he's always injured. Honestly I'm surprised he hasn't sat out more games. If I was a betting man I'd say that was the reason.

Plus, he has several years left on a contract and how can we move a guy who said he might retire.

I'm not going to say I know Calvin. But he's always injured. Honestly I'm surprised he hasn't sat out more games. If I was a betting man I'd say that was the reason.

Plus, he has several years left on a contract and how can we move a guy who said he might retire.

me too...I was just throwing out other theories.

Working in the newspaper industry and being around journalists all the time, the "Look at me attitude" doesn't not even remotely surprise me. My newspaper was the first in the country to begin charging for online access, and the biggest complaint we got was not from the readers, but from our reporters.

"How will people read my story if it's not free?".

Like none of them even stopped to think "If we give away our shit for free, how do we make money, and how do I get paid?"

But, in this article, he doesn't say "I saw him get some balls and stuff"... he says he has a very good source who told him.

And for any journalist to say he has a source, means a lot. Occasionally that pans out to be total bullshit (see recent Al Jazeera articles on HGH as an example), but normally, it's a career ender to claim to have a source, and then not be able to reveal that source to your editor.

Working in the newspaper industry and being around journalists all the time, the "Look at me attitude" doesn't not even remotely surprise me. My newspaper was the first in the country to begin charging for online access, and the biggest complaint we got was not from the readers, but from our reporters.

"How will people read my story if it's not free?".

Like none of them even stopped to think "If we give away our shit for free, how do we make money, and how do I get paid?"

But, in this article, he doesn't say "I saw him get some balls and stuff"... he says he has a very good source who told him.

And for any journalist to say he has a source, means a lot. Occasionally that pans out to be total bullshit (see recent Al Jazeera articles on HGH as an example), but normally, it's a career ender to claim to have a source, and then not be able to reveal that source to your editor.

Unless you are Drew Sharp!

Unless you are Drew Sharp!

Drew Sharp tops my 'dont read' list. Hes one of the only journalists that I make a conscious effort NOT to read. All of his articles are the same stupid drivel.

I actually dont have a problem with Terry Foster. I dont mind him on the radio, and I didnt mind his articles at the Detnews - if anything, his articles were rather boring, and lacked substance IMO. But he did a decent job there for sure.

However, ever since his 'retirement' from the Detroit News, its like hes been on a crusade to justify his decision, and remind us all that he is a journalist who knows people(AKA toot his own horn) I imagine this is just a phase, as its been less than a week since he left the newspaper industry, but its still annoying lol

If everything was hunky dorie and he was coming back, he wouldn't make announcements like this. It would be something to the effect of, "Look forward to next year, hopefully we can give the fans a championship."

"Not, I am thinking about my future and will have a decision shortly." That's not the comments of someone who is thinking about returning.

I agree to a degree, but he also said that he wanted Caldwell back right after the last game. then the next game "he wants to evaluate his career". I never heard the word "retirement" in his statement.....we'll see.

Ya that was pretty bad/pointless.

I personally hate the emphasis the media puts on who broke the story first. Its stupid - does anyone really care which reporter/blogger/journalist/talking head was first to the scene?

Every time a story breaks on ESPN, and its displayed across the scrolling bar, its followed by "First reported by: (Insert Name)". Its obnoxious

I guarantee that one of those "busy bodys" that Foster refers to is Nate Burleson. I'll bet my life on it...

There has been speculation that Megatron wants Caldwell back, and would probably return if he was retained, but may retire if he's fired.

Back