Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Coronainsanity

A while ago, maybe a few years, some of us were joking about walling off all the coastal libs on both coasts in Escape from New York/Escape from LA scenarios.

Does anybody remember that riff and some of the detes?

it sounds familiar but I don't recall details - I assume it was another off topic tangent in a thread about something else so I don't even know how one would find it.

Last edited:
If there's a Snake Pliskin in LA, it's Tinsel.

That?s very kind. I have both my eyes.

I would have to defer to Kurt Russell, who is also in LA, on being Snake Pliskin.

Because, well ya know-he?s Snake Pliskin.

And Wyatt Urp and Santa Claus and a whole bunch of others,

He also has both his eyes.

That’s very kind. I have both my eyes.

I would have to defer to Kurt Russell, who is also in LA, on being Snake Pliskin.

Because, well ya know-he’s Snake Pliskin.

And Wyatt Urp and Santa Claus and a whole bunch of others,

He also has both his eyes.

I think it's Erp w/ an "E" and don't forget Overboard! I think he played POTUS in an action movie as well and he was Jack Burton in one of his best - Big Trouble in Little China or Herb Brooks in Miracle. He was also in other great movies like Tequila Sunrise, Used Cars, etc.

Kurt Russell is pretty cool as far as actors go, but he's still just an actor who played Snake Pliskin.

Last edited:
I think it's Erp w/ an "E" and don't forget Overboard! I think he played POTUS in an action movie as well and he was Jack Burton in one of his best - Big Trouble in Little China or Herb Brooks in Miracle. He was also in other great movies like Tequila Sunrise, Used Cars, etc.

Kurt Russell is pretty cool as far as actors go, but he's still just an actor who played Snake Pliskin.

Right, Erp.

The closest thing to Snake Pliskin in LA is probably this guy, Benny ?The Jet? Urquidez, who, coincidentally, trained Patrick Swayze in stage martial arts for a movie you and occasionally refer to here, ?Road House.?

According to this article, we have Tucker Carlson to thank for Trump doing anything about covid-19 at all:
Fox News host Tucker Carlson made his very first visit to Mar-a-Lago only a week and a half ago. The resort was hosting a birthday party for former Fox host Kimberly Guilfoyle, attended by Florida congressman Matt Gaetz, Donald Trump Jr., and RNC chair Ronna McDaniel?but Carlson wasn?t there for the party. He didn?t even know about it, he says. Instead he?d come with an urgent message for the president. He was there to pull Donald Trump aside and speak frankly about the dangers of the coronavirus epidemic, the gravity of which had not yet fully registered with Trump or his White House.

For his troubles, Carlson was actually exposed to the coronavirus, along with Senators Lindsey Graham and Rick Scott, all of whom had been in the room with infected Brazilian officials attending the party.

Trump had ample warning weeks ago that this crisis was coming and had mostly ignored it.
There are only two points in the article I'd quibble with.

1:
Five days after, former vice president Joe Biden wrote an op-ed in USA Today, making the observation that ?Trump?s demonstrated failures of judgment and his repeated rejection of science make him the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health challenge.?
LOL, Joe Biden isn't capable of writing an op-ed!

2, when Tucker says:
And this seems to have terrified the Chinese government, which has, of course, less regard for its own citizens. So if they are afraid of it, then we should pay attention to it.
I don't know how anyone who was actually been paying attention could believe the Chinese government has less regard for its own citizens than ours does (unless you're a billionaire citizen).

Tucker bends over backwards to try to give Trump a pass, and blame "public health authorities" for this in the rest of the article.

I do and don't agree; I mean, it's hard to give Trump a pass, when even Tucker admits in the beginning he had to frame this as a re-election hurdle before he could get stupid Trump to care about it. The fact that this would kill millions of Americans was apparently not a big enough concern by itself.

But Trump isn't necessarily any worse than the DC Establishment as a whole, Biden included. He may be a degree or two more self-absorded, greedy and corrupt, but they're all okay with him and his agenda; the only candidate they are NOT okay with is Bernie Sanders...

Right, Erp.

The closest thing to Snake Pliskin in LA is probably this guy, Benny “The Jet” Urquidez, who, coincidentally, trained Patrick Swayze in stage martial arts for a movie you and occasionally refer to here, “Road House.”

I do like to work in a Road House reference whenever possible - it's easily in the top 3 of all time best Patrick Swayze movies.

Everyone knows there is only one Benny the Jet and that's Benny the Jet Rodriguez from the movie Sandlot (oddly enough, he is also from LA and also Latino - maybe that's your Benny the Jet was named after the the one and only)

benny4_display_image.jpg

Here he is right after being told there's someone else out there claiming to be Benny the Jet:

the-sandlot.jpg

Last edited:
it's not mass hysteria when we're facing a novel virus, no one has any natural immunity to, and that is - based on the numbers they're seeing - twice as easily spread as the flu and 30 times deadlier.

I don't know what the people - none of whom are doctors or have any experience in public health - hope to gain by downplaying this and insisting they're going to go about their lives as usual.

Looks like some of them are doctors who also have experience in public health. Like this guy who is the co-director of the Meta-Research Innovation Center and professor of medicine, biomedical data science, statistics, and epidemiology and population health at Stanford. Should we listen to people like that when they say we're likely massively overreacting to the Wuhan Virus? Or should we wonder what he has to gain since he's clearly not the kind of expert you prefer, like the folks who write opinion pieces for Vox or pretend to be fact checkers at Snopes since, unlike the Stanford egg head, they don't have an agenda and therefore have nothing to gain.

Last edited:
Looks like some of them are doctors who also have experience in public health.Like this guy who is the co-director of the Meta-Research Innovation Center and professor of medicine, biomedical data science, statistics, and epidemiology and population health at Stanford. Should we listen to people like that when they say we're likely massively overreacting to the Wuhan Virus? Or should we wonder what he has to gain since he's clearly not the kind of expert you prefer, like the folks who write opinion pieces for Vox or pretend to be fact checkers at Snopes since, unlike the Stanford egg head, they don't have an agenda and therefore have nothing to gain.

really good article.

I do like to work in a Road House reference whenever possible - it's easily in the top 3 of all time best Patrick Swayze movies.

Everyone knows there is only one Benny the Jet and that's Benny the Jet Rodriguez from the movie Sandlot (oddly enough, he is also from LA and also Latino - maybe that's your Benny the Jet was named after the the one and only)

benny4_display_image.jpg

Here he is right after being told there's someone else out there claiming to be Benny the Jet:

the-sandlot.jpg

Mike Vitar.

Never saw the movie. Maybe I?ll put it on my Netflix list.

So...a WHOLE lotta shit has changed has changed since the last few posts to this thread...California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Kentucky, Louisiana, Ohio and Michigan – there may be other states I’m not aware of - are all under shelter in place orders; additionally there are other municipalities as well.

I am in California, and I’m pretty sure a number of other folks on this board are in shelter in place states-so how’s everybody doing?

Ohio starts shelter in place tonight, I think at midnight. My wife and I both work from home so that's good. Had a trip to FL planned in 2 weeks for my son's spring break. We rented a house...looks like that is off. We were gonna take some of his friends down. It's a bummer since he is a senior.

Ohio starts shelter in place tonight, I think at midnight. My wife and I both work from home so that's good. Had a trip to FL planned in 2 weeks for my son's spring break. We rented a house...looks like that is off. We were gonna take some of his friends down. It's a bummer since he is a senior.

It’s a bummer...maybe seniors this year should be given a mulligan and do spring break next year with the upcoming senior class. I’m sure everyone would understand.

Last edited:
When Colorado imposes shelter in place, it will be the most sweeping restriction since

this (look below the picture of Tom Selleck)

Last edited:
We are sheltering in place which I believe is an overreaction, but i'm complying. The biggest impact on us is for the day-to-day stuff like grocery shopping and running errands - we would go out a couple times a month socially so that's not a big deal for us. My wife is going crazy managing the school-at-home but we'll get through that too.

My business is considered essential and my office is a 2 person operation so we are at work but not hosting any in-person meetings with clients and not doing any other face-to-face marketing or meetings. Doing business by phone and webex. Obviously, my son and older daughter aren't playing baseball/softball and I expect those seasons to be cancelled completely but my daughter is taking her dance class via webex. I'll probably order another 2,000 piece Star Wars puzzle for a family project and I'm teaching the kids the basics of black jack for fun and extra math practice.

Last edited:
We are sheltering in place which I believe is an overreaction, but i'm complying. My business is considered essential and my office is a 2 person operation so we are at work but not hosting and in person meetings with clients and not doing any other face-to-face operations. Doing business by phone and webex.

What I think is it might be an overreaction - I think pretty much everyone is clueless about how dangerous it might be and about how to best address it. We know it was very dangerous in China in Italy and not as dangerous in other places.

I heard about public health officials say that if as many as 10 to 15% of Californians don?t comply, half the California population could become infected; and then I heard simply parroting that back as if it was etched in stone fact, and I was thinking...?so... how did they come up with that calculation?? It wasn?t explained how that projection was reached. Maybe it?s going to turn out to be a pretty accurate projection...or maybe it?s just a number somebody pulled out of their ass.

Anyway, my wife telecommutes and she just had surgery to fix a surgery that was screwed up a few years ago, so we were pretty much going to behave as if we were sheltering in place anyway. My sister-in-law has come in to help in my wife?s recuperation, and while she?s been here I?ve been continuing my business which is also viewed as essential.

My gym is closed, but it?s a small boutique boxing gym and the owner is generation + friend, so I?ve been going in while it?s closed to help maintain the equipment, primarily by using it to make sure it?s working properly so it?s ready for when the shutdown ends so the re-open will be a smooth transition.

So my life hasn?t changed a whole lot. I guess the biggest change is I take food out to go instead of eating in - that?s no biggie.

Back