Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Coronainsanity

Are there only 2 things we can be skeptical of?

What do you think? I mean, if there's some way I can limit you to talking about anything in any way, tell me about that superpower.

Last edited:
It's a tricky thing to study. Past studies of masks weren't designed to see if they help other people. But the claim is so reasonable. Which part are you skeptical of? That the virus is carried in exhaled droplets or that masks make your exhaled droplets travel less far?

Masks do not contain droplets. Nor do they prevent the intrusion of them.

"Fabric masks, if made and worn properly, can serve as a barrier to droplets expelled from the wearer into the air and environment."​

Can, not does. Because it's random as to which droplets are prevented from escaping.

Respiratory droplet transmission can occur when a person is in close contact (within 1 metre) with an infected person who has respiratory symptoms (e.g. coughing or sneezing) or who is talking or singing; in these circumstances, respiratory droplets that include virus can reach the mouth, nose or eyes of a susceptible person and can result in infection.​

This language is from a March 29, study "“Modes of transmission of virus causing COVID-19: implications for infection prevention and control (IPC) precaution recommendations” ... it was updated today and this language was not altered in any way.

Theory: Masks create conformity and generate revenue for somebody.

Last edited:
Masks do not contain droplets. Nor do they prevent the intrusion of them.
"Fabric masks, if made and worn properly, can serve as a barrier to droplets expelled from the wearer into the air and environment."​
Can, not does. Because it's random as to which droplets are prevented from escaping.
Respiratory droplet transmission can occur when a person is in close contact (within 1 metre) with an infected person who has respiratory symptoms (e.g. coughing or sneezing) or who is talking or singing; in these circumstances, respiratory droplets that include virus can reach the mouth, nose or eyes of a susceptible person and can result in infection.​
This language is from a March 29, study "?Modes of transmission of virus causing COVID-19: implications for infection prevention and control (IPC) precaution recommendations? ... it was updated today and this language was not altered in any way.

Theory: Masks create conformity and generate revenue for somebody.

If a mask does contain droplets, then great, droplets contained. But the way I worded it assumes they aren't contained.

They slow the speed of air passing through the mask resulting in droplets that travel less far - reducing the odds of them making it to someone else that's inhaling.

There's nothing magic about 1 meter or six feet. Droplets come in many sizes and travel different distances based on size and the presence of a breeze and how hard a person is breathing. And we don't know everything about how big a droplet has to be to transmit virus or how many droplets it takes (I think we don't know.) So this is all probabilistic and it would be incredible if masks didn't help. Other nations doing so much better relying heavily on masks seems seems to suggest they do.

But the idea that a significant driver is someone making money off masks when advice includes making your own at home with whatever you've got seems like a stretch to me.

If a mask does contain droplets, then great, droplets contained. But the way I worded it assumes they aren't contained.

They slow the speed of air passing through the mask resulting in droplets that travel less far - reducing the odds of them making it to someone else that's inhaling.

There's nothing magic about 1 meter or six feet. Droplets come in many sizes and travel different distances based on size and the presence of a breeze and how hard a person is breathing. And we don't know everything about how big a droplet has to be to transmit virus or how many droplets it takes (I think we don't know.) So this is all probabilistic and it would be incredible if masks didn't help. Other nations doing so much better relying heavily on masks seems seems to suggest they do.

But the idea that a significant driver is someone making money off masks when advice includes making your own at home with whatever you've got seems like a stretch to me.

Lets then just make masks mandatory when and wherever we venture into public to minimize the transmission of any contagious virus or disease.

Somebody making money off businesses getting crushed - now that's a conspiracy theory I don't think I could refute. Which money should we follow?

Lets then just make masks mandatory when and wherever we venture into public to minimize the transmission of any contagious virus or disease.

It's fair to treat the new virus with kid gloves until we understand it better. Especially considering that significant numbers of people are dying in spite of the efforts we're making. Plus, we don't know the long term effects. At least 3 million people here (maybe a lot more) had it and we don't know if it left something behind that won't flair up in a year or 20.

I think the deaths when down quite a bit after 5 states stopped sending the confirmed elderly cases back to the nursing homes.

Invisible man in the sky - "eat my body, and drink my blood, you will live forever in paradise"

Some posters in this thread - "Oh yeah, will do for sure"

Doctors and health professionals - "wear a mask or face covering in public to help prevent the spread of contagious disease spread though coughs and sneezes"

Same posters in this thread - "There is no proof it works, must be a scam"

Some of you are just being dumb-asses, plain and simple, and you probably already know this.

Invisible man in the sky - "eat my body, and drink my blood, you will live forever in paradise"

Some posters in this thread - "Oh yeah, will do for sure"

Doctors and health professionals - "wear a mask or face covering in public to help prevent the spread of contagious disease spread though coughs and sneezes"

Same posters in this thread - "There is no proof it works, must be a scam"

Some of you are just being dumb-asses, plain and simple, and you probably already know this.

This is political, not religious. I'd be stunned if there was more correlation between covid view and religion than covid views and political leaning.

I think we underestimated the number of infections early on.

there's been active debate since the beginning about how this disease was likely way more contagious and way less deadly than the flu and than the "experts" were saying. the number of infections should surprise no one.

Last edited:
It's fair to treat the new virus with kid gloves until we understand it better. Especially considering that significant numbers of people are dying in spite of the efforts we're making. Plus, we don't know the long term effects. At least 3 million people here (maybe a lot more) had it and we don't know if it left something behind that won't flair up in a year or 20.

There is no plan to understand it better. The plan, which is unfolding right in front of us, is to foment confusion and discord so that we can be more easily controlled. Masks were unnecessary. Masks are recommended. Masks are mandatory, unless they aren't. Masks may reduce the spread of the virus, but is only part of the solution. The virus is spread primarily via touch. Now its spread primarily through the air. It could only travel three feet. Now it can travel 13 feet. Or 27 feet. We need to stay 6 feet from each other. You need to wear an mask in a restaurant unless you are eating. Und so weiter.

Protesters and rioters could coagulate in tight spaces and yell their lungs off with impunity for a month and COVID fell off the radar. Then WHO recently warned that a second "wave" could kill "millions" when the weather cools, and COVID is front and center again.

And everyone has forgotten that the CCP caused this outbreak and that there will never be a reckoning.

If "officials" were really serious about understanding it better, we'd be sequestered in our homes for a year and allowed rationed public outings for limited times in Hazmat suits. Paper and cloth masks over our faces are like screen doors on a submarine.

The Covid-19 will be around and ebb and flow for another 3 years yet. The controllers only get away with tyranny because we let them.

A major theme in this thread has been concerns of Covid-19 deaths being overblown in some areas, whether through negligence, for monetary gain, or some other nefarious reasons probably involving 5G or Bill Gates.

Was reading through a few reports that have suggested both under and over reporting. But one in particular caught my eye.

Apparently reported pneumonia deaths are skyrocketing in multiple states according to CDC numbers. It's been mentioned in this thread multiple times that heart attacks and other causes of death are down so I wanted to present a situation where the opposite is happening.

Indiana: 1,832 COVID-19 deaths; 2,149 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 384)
Illinois: 4,856 COVID-19 deaths; 3,986 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 782)
Tennessee: 336 COVID-19 deaths; 1,704 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 611)
Ohio: 1,969 COVID-19 deaths; 2,327 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 820)
Virginia: 1,208 COVID-19 deaths; 1,394 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 451)
West Virginia: 72 COVID-19 deaths; 438 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 117)
Texas: 963 COVID-19 deaths; 4,622 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 2,512)
Florida: 1,762 COVID-19 deaths; 5,185 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 1,210)

If you're interested checking a specific state I didn't list, sources are:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

https://wonder.cdc.gov/ucd-icd10.html

My conclusion is that Covid-19 is clearly a hoax perpetrated by Obama, the DNC, the media, and scientists worldwide. Pneumonia is the real danger.

Updated numbers on the mysteriously unreported pneumonia epidemic:

Indiana: 2,476 COVID-19 deaths; 3,018 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 384)
Illinois: 6,139 COVID-19 deaths; 6,166 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 782)
Tennessee: 519 COVID-19 deaths; 2,404 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 611)
Ohio: 2,383 COVID-19 deaths; 3,537 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 820)
Virginia: 1,901 COVID-19 deaths; 2,019 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 451)
West Virginia: 95 COVID-19 deaths; 599 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 117)
Texas: 2,453 COVID-19 deaths; 6,911 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 2,512)
Florida: 3,133 COVID-19 deaths; 7,368 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 1,210)

Last edited:
Back