Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Minor League Notes

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/10/11/minor-leagues-best-tools/
Minor Leagues Best Tools.
from Mark at Baseball Prospect Nation

Best Fastball ? Bruce Rondon (RHP, Detroit Tigers)
I?ve watched Rondon light my radar gun up to 103 in Double-A this year and I promise you my gun isn?t hot. His fastball is at the top of the scouting scale and it doesn?t lack movement either. Other pitchers might be able to match his raw velocity, but he adds such strong boring action and natural life that his fastball can be almost impossible to square up. When it?s in the strike zone, good luck to the hitter. Rondon has crazy arm strength and the profile of an overpowering closer, thanks to a triple-digit fastball that can blow anybody away.

Can't explain it Tigers fans, but I have an irrational affection for Danry Vasquez...the kid hits, hits, hits...and I think the pop comes.

Question: will he spend the full year at WMI? Or can he force his way to Lakeland b4 the season is over?

Answer: I expect a full year at WMI.

Question: Is the good makeup ever going to come?

Answer: Vasquez likes attention but he's not a bad kid. I think he's fine.

Apparently, Vasquez got caught drinking, smoking and missing curfew in Spring Training. 18 with a $1M signing bonus, it happens.

Question: if u had 2 bet on a MLB career, would you take Vasquez over Eugenio Suarez by a lot?

Answer: Vasquez has star potential, Suarez doesn't.

from Mark Anderson

Last edited:
http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/10/11/minor-leagues-best-tools/
Minor Leagues Best Tools.
from Mark at Baseball Prospect Nation

Best Fastball ? Bruce Rondon (RHP, Detroit Tigers)
I?ve watched Rondon light my radar gun up to 103 in Double-A this year and I promise you my gun isn?t hot. His fastball is at the top of the scouting scale and it doesn?t lack movement either. Other pitchers might be able to match his raw velocity, but he adds such strong boring action and natural life that his fastball can be almost impossible to square up. When it?s in the strike zone, good luck to the hitter. Rondon has crazy arm strength and the profile of an overpowering closer, thanks to a triple-digit fastball that can blow anybody away.

I saw him a few times in Lakeland this year and that kid for sure has a LIVE arm.

I saw him a few times in Lakeland this year and that kid for sure has a LIVE arm.

I would think he will be with the team next year as a 7th inning guy in the bullpen, health and attitude not withstanding. would like to hear more about a second pitch, curve or slider and if they are at least good.

new Zoom,

I would think he will be with the team next year as a 7th inning guy in the bullpen, health and attitude not withstanding. would like to hear more about a second pitch, curve or slider and if they are at least good.

new Zoom,

He has a decent slider some nice late break on it but is a little erratic with it. Has a Porcello type movement on his Fastball. The only difference is its coming in there over 100 lol.

Righty prospect Carreno traded to close Cubs deal
DETROIT -- The Tigers brought a close to the Jeff Baker trade from August on Tuesday, sending pitching prospect Marcelo Carreno and cash considerations to the Cubs to complete the deal.

Detroit acquired Baker from the Cubs on Aug. 5 as an extra right-handed bat in exchange for what was supposed to be two players to be named later. Baker batted .200 in 15 games for Detroit before the Tigers designated him for assignment on Aug. 31. Detroit worked out a trade to send him to Atlanta that day.

The players were scheduled to be decided upon by Oct. 31. In the end, the Cubs get one player in Carreno, who was ranked No. 11 among the Tigers' top prospects.

The 21-year-old right-hander went 9-8 with a 3.23 ERA in 27 starts for low Class A West Michigan, marking his second season with the Whitecaps. He allowed 129 hits over 139 1/3 innings with 28 walks and 119 strikeouts.
from the Tigers official site

Arizona Fall League Update: Games Through October 19:

Detroit Tigers;

Nick Castellanos - 3B/RF - .345/.406/.552, 1 HR, 3 2B, 2 RBI, 7 R, 3 BB, 9 K, 2 SB

James McCann - C - .111/.200/.111, 1 RBI, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K

In a move that didn?t necessarily get much coverage, Lance Parrish was named the new skipper of the Class A West Michigan Whitecaps on October 2, 2012 ? the day after the Tigers clinched the American League Central crown.

Mark Anderson from TigsTown Tigers minor leagues guru Q and A:

Do the Tigers have a SS/2B in their system that is anywhere close to being a good MLB starter?
Close? Nope.

Tigers prospect with most/best power? Moya?
Moya. Not even close in the Tigers system.

Word on Moya's recovery from TJ, expectations for next year?
Recovering well...getting HUGE, maintain reasonable expectations.

Any idea how much money the Tigers have left in their international spending budget?
Nothing firm, but fair amount. Good Huge.

who is the best pitching specimen in the system?
Casey Crosby or Jake Thompson, haven't lined it all up yet.
Should amend that...Crosby or Thompson as SP, Bruce Rondon in mix too.

Where is Austin Schotts going to start and what should we expect his production to look like? Tools to be better, not there yet.
WM, lots of ups and downs.

What about Justin Henry?
organization type guy.

Nick Castellanos now a left fielder because of Garcia?
Could still play either.

Who do the Tigers really like that we would be some what surprised about.
Hernan Perez.
Is Hernan Perez a future MLB everyday 2B?
not in my eyes.

Have the Tigers resigned any of their minor league free agents.
Victor Larez.
does larez have a major league future or an org arm?
Arm strength guy....org arm.

Have Audy Ciriaco and Cale Iorg seen the last days as Tigers?
They may be back, just to help rosters.

Dixon Machado, seem like they are high on him, but he can't hit.200 help me with this.
Really good glove, 70 arm.

too soon to talk draft? See the tigers going after 1 big $ guy, then going below slot or using the two 1s to restock?
too early to tell.

With Eugenio Suarez emerging, any chance of trying Machado at 2nd or is Perez in his way?
Are any of them really in each others way?

Jeff Ferrell - West Michigan? He of the No-Hitter. Ceiling? Projection?
Mid relief ceiling, off to Lakeland next year.

which player are the Tigers extremely high on, that you don't see?
McCann.

Which outfielders do you see to reach at least AA in 3 years Rashad Brown, Salgado, Gibson?
Vasquez, Stewart, Schotts.

Melvin Mercedes, what's his velocity and is he a prospect ?
Sits 91-93, very heavy, and yes.

better all round game - Danry Vasquez or Stephen Moya?
Very, very different, both have weaknesses, I like Vasquez more.

Which FA is most likely the Tigers largest offseason target?
Haven't even considered it yet...maybe an RP or veteran corner OF.

Does Daniel Fields see AAA next year?
He should produce in AA first.

do you think Laird will be back/Smyly in the rotation?
Maybe, could go Holaday; Smyly depends on other moves.

any chance Tigers are interested in Coco Crisp? What kind of prospect would that cost?
Have my doubts.

What are the projections for the guys involved in the Baker trade? Carreno and Ross.
Carreno back end guy, Ross more RP.

Tigers only have 1 starting OF and 1 platoon guy. Garcia/NC aren't ready. Boesch and Berry suck.
Stop gap until Garcia/Nick are ready. They have one OF weapon.

which prospect has the best chance to become a top 100 spec in baseball? Excluding castellanos. Is Avi?
Rondon and Garcia.

has Garcia raised or lowered his ceiling with his late season performance?
Ceiling hasn't changed, risk level has dropped.

what do you think eugenio Suarez' ceiling is?
Fringy ceiling for me...not convinced bat will play.

Why so muted on Suarez hit tool, seems like one of few propsects with decent approach, OBP potential.
Pretty low bar there.

Joe Rogers: 7th inning ceiling?
Chance to start, probably an RP though...chance to be high leverage lefty.

Drew VerHagen have starting potential or more RP?
RP unless the secondaries evolve.

Andy Dirks is more than that for me if used correctly, he has flaws that can be minimized..but he makes plays at big times..

Tyler Collins ceiling? Better worse or equal to Dirks?
Different players. Collins has solid reg ceiling, has to hit a ton.

fastest prospect in the system? I've heard Salgado and Gibson are burners.
Schotts, Salgado, Brown all 7 runners at times.

Harrison or Gibson, who breaks out first..or neither?
Odds in Harrison's favor to break out, a little less raw.

Collins' power potential=15-20 HR's?
If it all works out, that could happen.

Sorry for all of the Collins questions, he's a personal favorite of mine. Will he ever be a 50 LF or always below?
Below.

Did Crosby have a successful season and where does he stand in 2013 and beyond?
Health=success for him; still an RP for me.

why move Schotts from infield in college to outfield as a pro?
Actions weren't clean at SS, didn't work long term.

w/ thompson and schotts, did tigers bring in two blue chip prospects from what you heard and saw?
Not blue chip, but solid.

Devon Travis or Harold Castro have any chance of mlb regular 2B down the line?
Love Castro but he's very raw.

ceiling for Casali? any DSL/VSL bats you're hopeful about?
Casali is a backup. Guys like Joseph, Betancourt are interesting.

Dean Green/Jason King - any hope or just org fodder?
Green can rake, but has to destroy to get a chance.

Last edited:
First MVP of Futures Game, now Tigers' Nick Castellanos selected to play in the AFL's Rising Stars Game Saturday: http://atmlb.com/SxX3nZ
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...c_id=mlb&partnerId=aw-6053533019777699550-996
Rising Stars Game rosters packed with prospects.
Fall League's showcase set for Saturday, airs live on MLB.com, MLB Network.
from mlb.com

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/...1&content_id=40148358&vkey=news_detb&c_id=det
AFL Rising Stars Game is Major for prospects.
History says many in Saturday's contest will go on to have big league careers.

Last edited:
http://www.freep.com/article/2012110...s|text|Detroit Tigers
Tigers bring back Bruce Fields to coach hitting in minors.
from the freep

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ss...ormer_hit.html
Former Detroit Tigers hitting coach Bruce Fields back as franchise's minor league hitting coordinator.
from Mlive

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...troit-Tigers-minor-league-hitting-coordinator
Bruce Fields returns to Detroit Tigers as minor league hitting coordinator.
from the detnews

Fields replaces Toby Harrah, who was promoted to assistant hitting coach for the parent Tigers.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/...01&content_id=40142154&vkey=news_det&c_id=det
Tigers name Bruce Fields Minors hitting coordinator.

Last edited:
Back