Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Detroit Tigers Team Notes

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]August 15 in Tigers history :

1984: The Tigers cuff Tommy John for ten hits in six innings to beat the Angels 8 - 3. Dan Petry (15-5) scatters eight hits in eight innings, and Dave Bergman backs him with two triples and three RBIs. The Tigers' lead is now nine games.

2001: The Tigers defeat the Angels 5 - 1, as Detroit OF Roger Cedeno leads the team with five hits.

Tigers players birthdays :

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brownch02.shtml
Chris Brown 1989.

from baseball reference

Tommy John..heh!!

Tommy John, the pitcher who, although is best remembered now by baseball fans, for having his name used for the arm-saving surgery performed on injured pitchers, is instead also remembered by older Tigers' fans like me, who got his butt kicked by the usually mild-mannered, but hard-nosed Tigers' 2nd basemen Dick McAuliffe in one memorable night game on August 22, during the Tigers' WS championship season in '68, after McAuliffe had two pitches thrown, first @ his head, the next @ his body. Dick then charged the mound, and in the resulting brawl, separated the then White Sox pitcher's shoulder.

John was out for the rest of the season, and McAuliffe was suspended for five games.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]http://www.detnews.com/article/20110815/SPORTS0104/108150336/1129/sports0104/In-a-pinch--Gates-Brown-del ivered-big-hits--excitement-for-Tigers
In a pinch Gates Brown delivered big hits, excitement for Tigers.
from the detnews

great story on Gates.

Yeah, just got through reading that article..Gates was the MAN!! Loved his first name, was perfect for baseball.

"And some of these batters, they get a pitcher 2-0 and the pitcher throws the ball right there

Hey Doug,
Every time I see tommy john's name mentioned, that brawl is the first thing that I think of with McAuliffe and the Tigers kicking ass.
What teams back then would want to get in a beef with Willie, Gates, Freehan??

That pre game I spoke with Sparky at great length back in early 80's with Uncle Charlie, Gates came by for a quick minute, said hi and went back to hitting fungoes, Nice friendly man and big. They all have a special place in my heart those 60's Tigers and of course the '68 team.

The Tigers were getting next to nothing from their third basemen prior to the trade for Betemit, just a .187/.251/.255 batting line with two homers in 373 plate appearances. Their pinch-hitters hit more balls out of the park. Anyway, Betemit has helped rectify that problem in a big way, hitting a stout .333/.379/.500 with two homers in 58 PA since the trade, and he

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110815&content_id=23241118&vkey=news_det&c_id=det
Tigers deal with Twins to acquire Delmon Young.
from the Tigers official site

Young hit .266 with 16 doubles, four home runs and 32 RBIs in 84 games with the Twins this season. He has hit .286 with eight doubles, two home runs and 12 RBIs in 29 games since the All-Star break.

He hit .287 with a .324 on-base and .429 slugging percentage in four years with the Twins.

Back