Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Laird back in the lineup, as Tigers return to interleague play in Cincinnati.

Andy Dirks also taking early BP with Tigers at GABP.

"I felt good," Austin Jackson told the Toledo Blade's John Wagner afterward. "I didn't feel any pain, and it was good to get back out there and get back in the swing of things. "It was tough to get my timing back. I wanted to see some pitches, and I didn't have any pain, so that was a good thing."
He could be back as soon as Saturday.

Doug Fister was supposed to throw full bore from 60 feet on Thursday, but on flat ground, rather than from a mound. By all accounts, he's feeling better, as well, and his return could be imminent. Casey Crosby has gone 1-1 in his stead this time, on Thursday getting the first win for a starter in Fister's spot in the rotation.

Ryan Raburn, who was in Toledo to try to kick-start his slumping bat, has been battling a hamstring issue of his own, and has not played since Tuesday.

Omir Santos has refused his assignment to MudHens and has elected his free agency.

Last edited:
Baseball is seeing a sixth straight season in which runs are declining. The trendline since 2006, on a runs-per-game basis, looks like this: 9.72, 9.59, 9.30, 9.23, 8.77, 8.57, 8.55. Meanwhile, teams have access to more data and analytics on an increasing basis. Are the trends coincidental? Joe Maddon thinks not.

The Tampa Bay Rays manager, one of the most forward-thinking managers in the game, may have as much information at his disposal as anyone. The Rays, who no longer use advance scouts in the traditional sense -- with scouts attending rivals' games and filling out reports -- scout every major league game by video and digitize all the information. Maddon uses the information, for example, to position his defensive players with more shifts than any club in baseball. His shifts have grown more numerous and extreme this season, especially with an increase against righthanded hitters. The more information he has, the more precise Maddon operates. This growing intelligence, he said, always favors the prevention of runs, not the production of runs.

"Data helps the pitching and defense," he said. "I don't think there's anything in there that helps the hitter. I think that's one reason why we're seeing run-scoring go down the way that it is."

Maddon's belief is that the more information you have on a hitter the more you expose not only his weaknesses but also where he will hit the ball against certain pitchers. Of course, pitchers need to execute pitches and the shifts are not foolproof. But the information increases the probability of getting the hitter out, Maddon said.

It looks like he is on to something. Like scoring runs, batting average is declining for a sixth straight year. The major league batting average is .252. It hasn't been this hard to get a hit in the majors since 1972 -- the last year without a DH.

from sportsillustrated

Back