Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft Thread 2020

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2020...etroit-lions-trade-up-select-og-jonah-jackson
2020 NFL Draft results: Detroit Lions trade up, select OG Jonah Jackson.
Detroit selected a guard with their second third-round pick.
POD

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2020...ackson-with-the-75th-pick-in-the-third-round/
Lions trade up, select OG Jonah Jackson with the 75th pick in the third round.
LionsWire

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2...otball-2020-nfl-draft-scouting-report-preview
2020 NFL Draft results: Detroit Lions trade up, select OG Jonah Jackson.
Detroit selected a guard with their second third-round pick.
SBNation

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...r-need-taking-guard-jonah-jackson/3025361001/
Lions trade up, fill another need by taking guard Jonah Jackson.
Detnews

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...kson-detroit-lions-nfl-draft-2020/3019229001/
Detroit Lions trade up to grab Ohio State OG Jonah Jackson at No. 75 in 2020 NFL draft.
Freep

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/04...hio-state-g-jonah-jackson-in-third-round.html
2020 NFL draft: Detroit Lions trade up for Ohio State G Jonah Jackson in third round.
Mlive

Last edited:
Kinda funny...we just secured a run blocking guard from Indy to help secure my �� w Swift vs Taylor!

So we lost picks in the trade up ? Wouldn’t we rather have more darts at the dart board ? Sure hope it works out.

Last edited:
Kinda funny...we just secured a run blocking guard from Indy to help secure my �� w Swift vs Taylor!

I don't know...sounds like he is a good in pass pro but a weak run blocker :clap:

Guard/center prospect whose run-blocking and pass protection tape are polar opposites. He's not a natural bender and the hand placement is rough, making sustaining blocks a challenge. However, the narrow base as a drive blocker turns into a wide, balanced base in pass sets. He's a terrific processor of twists and blitzes who expedites his process and finds his work. If a team can improve the hands and body control they might have something, but he's more likely a backup option for teams targeting pass protection inside at guard or center.

davebirkett
“Basically, the Lions trade was: Darius Slay for Jonah Jackson”.

I am not watching. I was just asking what we gave up. I just have my tablet on the draft and see the picks from there.

Gotcha! Here?s the details.

LIONS TRADE: Detroit trades picks 85, 149 and 182 to the Colts for Picks 75 and 197.

Trade seems solid. Basically gave up one of our two 5ths to move up and get a need.

Bleacher report grades For day 2. What do you guys think ?

D'Andre Swift, RB, Georgia

Strengths: Cutback ability, vision, power

Weaknesses: Running backs don't matter

Georgia guard Solomon Kindley spoke at the combine about all of the great running backs he has blocked for, including Sony Michel and Nick Chubb. So, what did he have to say about Swift?

"Blocking for D'Andre Smith was very exciting because as he gets past me, I know it's gonna be a show," Kindley said. "I'm ready for him to get past me to see what he's gonna do."

Swift is a prototypical NFL running back. He's a tough downhill runner with devastating one-cut ability, the power to finish runs and the receiving chops to be useful on passing downs. Having shared touches with the likes of Chubb and Elijah Holyfield, he also isn't as worn down as other collegiate workhorses.

Swift has Todd Gurley-esque potential. That makes him an incredible value in the second round. The Lions will get his best years at a relatively low salary and worry about wear and tear (or let his next employer worry about it) later. And the Lions have a need at running back after last season's injury rash. With that said, the Lions have needs at much harder-to-fill positions like edge-rusher, making this a questionable selection.

Grade: C
====================================

Julian Okwara, Edge-Rusher, Notre Dame

Strengths: Athleticism, production

Weaknesses: Block shedding, run defense

Okwara's brother, Romeo Okwara, went undrafted out of Notre Dame a few years ago, spent a few seasons on the Giants bench and then emerged to record 7.5 sacks for the Lions in 2018. Julian is a better prospect than his brother, but he may require a similar extended developmental period.

Okwara is a pure stand-up edge-rusher who can win with quickness and explodes into the ball-carrier. He lacks a plan when blockers latch on, though he does keep moving through contact, so he could grow into a useful run defender if he adds bulk, strength and experience. He's alert when responding to option meshes, and he's quick enough to drop into zone coverage now and then without embarrassing his defensive coordinator.

Okwara will probably max out as a situational edge-rusher, but he has the right mix of traits and hustle to stick on a roster and contribute. An all-Okwara pass rush sounds like fun, and the Lions need edge-rushers, but this pick is a reach that demonstrates a disturbing lack of imagination on the Lions' part.

Grade: C-
=====================================

Jonah Jackson, G, Ohio State

Strengths: Technique, lateral quickness, alertness

Weaknesses: Leverage, power

Jackson transferred from Rutgers to Ohio State for his final college season because, well, you would too if you were a college football player.

"It came down to both education and athletics," Jackson toldTodderick Huntof NJ Advance Media. "I wanted to pursue my master's degree somewhere else, and Rutgers didn't have my degree at the time. So, I wanted to see what else was out there for me academically. And, athletically, I just wanted to see what else the world had to offer."

For the record, Jackson's area of academic interest was educational administration. I taught in New Jersey for many years and had lots and lots of principals and superintendents (educational administrators, in other words) who went to Rutgers. But perhaps Ohio State offers a master's in educational administration with a concentration in "not getting your butt kicked every Saturday." Rutgers stopped offering that years ago.

Anyway, Jackson is an agile, quick-footed blocker who excels at getting position on his defender, whether when zone-blocking, combo-blocking or peeling off a double-team to take on a late blitzer. He's a bit narrow and lean for an interior lineman, and he lacks the raw power to do Quenton Nelson-type stuff. Jackson may always need support against Aaron Donald types, but he's a natural fit for a modern NFL offense, and he should quickly develop into a capable starter. This is a strong pick for a Lions team that clearly wants to get more rugged in the trenches.

Grade: A-

Gotcha! Here’s the details.

LIONS TRADE: Detroit trades picks 85, 149 and 182 to the Colts for Picks 75 and 197.

Thanks.
Just got done watching first 3 episodes of Waco with the wife. I was trying to keep track. I should have worked the question better. I hate losing bullets at the board but it seems like a decent move. I think I like the Linemen the best so far. So only a few spots and a pick. Could they have waited I wonder ?

Last edited:
Bleacher report grades For day 2. What do you guys think ?

Not sure what to think.

Jackson grades range from A to F

Okwara and Swift from A to meh

I have less of a clue than these people, but based on positions and profiles I'm OK with the draft so far....B range.

Not sure what to think.

Jackson grades range from A to F

Okwara and Swift from A to meh

I have less of a clue than these people, but based on positions and profiles I'm OK with the draft so far....B range.

That sums it up.

Some free Agent list. Any of these guys still available ? Any interest?

Jadeveon Clowney, Defensive End. Age: 27. ...
Robby Anderson, Wide Receiver. Age: 26. ...
Jameis Winston, Quarterback. Age: 26. ...
Jason Peters, Offensive Tackle. Age: 38. ...
Kelvin Beachum, Offensive Tackle. Age: 30. ...
Ndamukong Suh, Defensive Lineman. Age: 33. ...
Logan Ryan, Cornerback. Age: 29. ...
Markus Golden, Edge Rusher. Age: 29.
Logan Ryan cornerback age 29.
Breshad Perriman, Wide Receiver age 26.
Tyler Eifert, Tight End Age 29.
Phillip Dorsett, Wide Receiver 27.
Devin Funchess, Wide Receiver Age 25.
Nick Vigil, Linebacker age 26.
Carlos Hyde Running back age 29.
Demarcus Robinson, Wide Receiver age 25.

Some free Agent list. Any of these guys still available ? Any interest?

Jadeveon Clowney, Defensive End. Age: 27. ...
Robby Anderson, Wide Receiver. Age: 26. ...GONE
Jameis Winston, Quarterback. Age: 26. ...
Jason Peters, Offensive Tackle. Age: 38. ...
Kelvin Beachum, Offensive Tackle. Age: 30. ...
Ndamukong Suh, Defensive Lineman. Age: 33. ...GONE
Logan Ryan, Cornerback. Age: 29. ...
Markus Golden, Edge Rusher. Age: 29.
Logan Ryan cornerback age 29.
Breshad Perriman, Wide Receiver age 26.GONE
Tyler Eifert, Tight End Age 29.GONE
Phillip Dorsett, Wide Receiver 27.GONE
Devin Funchess, Wide Receiver Age 25.GONE
Nick Vigil, Linebacker age 26. GONE
Carlos Hyde Running back age 29.
Demarcus Robinson, Wide Receiver age 25.GONE

Clowney would be nice for the right asking price. Lions have the 2nd most cap space left right now, no point in sitting on it.

Back