Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 1: Jets @ Lions *Monday Night* Thread

So now they have to learn a new set of signals in one week (actually they'll probably just keep using the old ones, this staff doesn't seem too bright).

For what it's worth, the defense didn't need to tip anyone off in order to suck.

Stafford was terrible last night. Like, god awful. But I will give him some credit, he is one tough SOB. He's probably still in a tub of ice.

Proud to say I attended arguably the most embarrassing performance in franchise history today, what an honor!

My brother was there also, I felt bad for him. I am suppose to go to the Packers game with him. I might tell him to sell the tickets if he can and we will just hangout for the weekend.

Maybe the preseason normally can't be taken as an indication of how the regular season plays out, but the starters never play 100% of the time and in all 16 games. Last night's debacle was just like the Lions preseason's utter lack of preparation, organization, motivation, and in-game adjustments, all of which bled over into Game One.

Don't see how this alleged pro football team can somewhat successfully get through playing 15 more games, 8 of which are road games, some of which will be vs true contenders both @ home and road, if there won't be any significant improvements in coaching, and on D, O and special teams. And that doesn't even include the possibility, if not the likelihood of more and worse injuries than those that were sustained last night. The franchise is only one of two that has fielded a team which lost all 16 games in a season, and now look like they could become the only NFL club to do so twice. The only other teams that currently appear to be nearly or as awful as they are, is the Bills and Cardinals, both of whom the Lions will play late in the season.

Ouch. It was a bad loss but didn't think we'd go full melt down on this board.. Where all the high rollers.

Why do people keep regurgitating the idea that the preseason is no indicator of the regular season? It's true that the SCORES don't matter. But people watching the games, especially 1st team against 1st team, can see which team has a talent advantage or a skill advantage. Yes, it's vanilla playcalling and coaches will purposely put their teams in specific disadvantageous positions for practice, but we still get to see how that plays out. The reality is that the Lions vanilla defense was carved up by opposing vanilla offenses. The Lions vanilla offense was easily handled by opposing vanilla defenses. The team failed whenever they were put in specific time/down/distance situations.

Nobody is talking about preseason scores when they say the 1st team got beat every time they played. And surprise surprise, when the Lions AND their opponents open up the playbook, our 1st team still gets beat. I mean really, did anyone here genuinely think the problem with our pass-rush was entirely schematic, and not that we have no talent there?

There's nowhere to go but up from this game, but we should stop pretending that there was no way to see a bad result coming.

The Jets are a bad football team who will struggle to win 6 games this season. So what does that make the Lions.

Been watching for over 40 years, I'e never seen a performance that bad. And the preseason backed it up as being who the Lions are.

Browsed the PoD threads after the game ended last night, and there were a few posts by members who claimed that they got drunk b/c of how badly the team played. It was just a football game, and unless these people bet on and lost a bundle on the Lions, getting shitfaced seems to be more of a poor excuse than a good reason.

It’s hard to know where to start, so let’s start with this: The Detroit Lions are terrible.

That’s it.

There’s nothing else to say. Sure, we could look up scores in the history books and find another season opener that was worse than Monday night at Ford Field.

But why?

When all you have to do is ask your father, or your grandfather, and he’ll tell you the same, sad story:

The Lions give you hope, then the Lions lose by 30 against a rookie quarterback.

And even if you haven’t heard that one before, you’ve heard plenty like it.

Then again ...

The Lions just unveiled a new coach (Matt Patricia), and a supposed franchise quarterback with a huge contract (Matthew Stafford), and promising running backs and a healthy offensive line and… stop it.

Nothing matters.

It’s always the same. No one can block. Or tackle. Or catch a pass when it counts. Or stop throwing interceptions.

This is how a new era starts? You dip a toe in the water, you’ve got frostbite by halftime.

That’s the long, sad history. You’ve heard it all before. Seen it all, too. Felt it, over and over — and over some more.

All the Lions did Monday night in their season opener is remind you why you can never trust them.

Again.

Ok, now with that out of the way, let’s offer some perspective: it’s early.

Just a single game.

Ah, forget that, too. Monday night’s national embarrassment reminds you that New England’s assistant coaches haven’t won when they left Bill Belichick’s cocoon. And that Patricia has a lot more to prove than he did before the opener.

Meanwhile … what happened to Stafford? He threw four interceptions. One was returned for a touchdown.

He wasn’t just inaccurate. He made poor decisions, and played his worst game in years.

Clearly, somebody’s got a cruel sense of humor. Stafford played some of his best football the last two years.

He’s got the same receivers, the same coordinator, and much of the same offensive line.

Yet he looked unsettled, as if he were playing with strangers.

That’s a mystery, too.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-vs-jets-proves-team-cant-trusted/1263705002/

Yeah I am into full over reaction Tuesday because it appears we may be in for a long,
Long, long season. We all will still root out asses off for this debacle of a franchise but it gets harder each day.
. As of right now what did we see last night . A offense that wasn’t ready to play . A defense that is horrible ,and plays with no heart espically when things go wrong. A qb in his 10th year who never seems to get better in the off season. Seriously where was his head last night because his pre-snap reads were Jv-ish.
We a qb coach Masquerading as offensive coordinator with 9th grade game plans in which defenses have no issue figuring out. When we finally have ONE decent drive to start the third and score we get down 24-17 and revert back to first half playcalling . My god why did Patrica coddle Stafford and keep JBc?
Speaking of Patrica . Where was his genuis last night ? I thought he was a master on defense and yet we saw nothing from him last night. It is so frustrating being one of the NFL laughing stocks but sadly that is what we are.

Thanks Quinn . Nice lines we have boy wonder. My god we must have the worst lines in the league.

It may be an over reaction but I think we need to get rid of Bob Quinn. Shitcan the entire coaching staff. Maybe time to pick up a young QB at the top of the draft and start looking past Stafford.This whole turn the Lions into the Patriots bull shit isn't going to work.

It may be an over reaction but I think we need to get rid of Bob Quinn. Shitcan the entire coaching staff. Maybe time to pick up a young QB at the top of the draft and start looking past Stafford.This whole turn the Lions into the Patriots bull shit isn't going to work.

Maybe turning this long moribund franchise into one similar to the Patriots' operation might happen, but not within the timeframe being left with Stafford as starting QB. It might even take until the middle of the next decade to complete.

Found this concerning blurb on PoD’s report card.

On top of that, there were some seriously puzzling personnel decisions that appears to have backfired. Bradley Marquez was kept on the 53-man roster specifically for his special teams acumen, and his punt return coverage was especially bad on Monday.

A’Shawn Robinson was a healthy scratch, and with only two defensive tackles dressed, Sylvester Williams and Ricky Jean Francois looked dead tired in the second half—each posting over 75 percent of snaps.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/9/11/17845848/detroit-lions-week-1-report-card-new-york-jets

I don't think it is a over reaction. Bob Quinn hasn't made this team any better and he never leaves his comfort zone. He kept Caldwell and his staff for a 2 seasons, now he kept JBC, and he only does business with the Patriots. Patricia after one game looks like a terrible pick for head coach and way over his head.

Quinn also hasn't been really successful in the draft, 2 of his 2nd round picks never play, Robinson and Tabor. That is absolutely getting no vaule out of picks. This year his top 2 picks were meant to make the running game a strength and they could do nothing. So he ignored the pass rush and kept Ansah and made the running game the same. What has he done to make this team better? If they don't win at least 7 games(which looks unlikely) Martha needs to cut bait. He was brought in to get the Lions over the Caldwell hump and this team is sliding backwards.

Last, which most people probably will disagree. Stafford will never lead this team to a championship. I agree he is above average but he is like Marino. He doesn't make the team better. He is highly inconsistent, costs a ton, and never checks into positive plays. They should be bringing someone in that has the potential to be good not Cassell who can't even carry a team for a half. Bring in someone like Connor Cook or Paxton Lynch and let them at least learn and push Stafford. Then if we are in a position to draft a qb that can change the team you dump Stafford. But just keeping Stafford around and drafting offensive players is not going to do it.

It?s the continuity garbage that I absolutely fucking hate. They?ve never been able to blow this thing up properly.

- 0-16, fire everybody, but let?s keep Millen?s lackey around to run the franchise
- Schwartz needs to go, but let?s keep Mayhew
- Mayhew actually sucks, but let?s keep Caldwell around
- Team is going nowhere, can Caldwell, new coach needs to keep Cooter though

Defense Had a new Scheme so maybe we can give them a little pass. But really not after starting with a pick 6 . They were beyond awful after that interception.

Now the offense . No fucking excuses how a 10 vet with all his players back on offense except Ebron that they were not prepared to play. Jim Bob Cooter has to go. His in game play calling is putrid. His game plan was putrid. Man it was painful to watch.

Last edited:
Following the Lions all these years only leaves us closer to death with nothing of value to show for it.

Back